NFL schedule release: May 12th 8pm

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

In his latest FMIA column, Peter King was asking for fan submissions of ideas to improve the NFL or make it more exciting in some way. I wrote to him about a scheduling idea that I think the league is missing out on:

Now that the NFL has added a 17th game, they ought to make the extra game something special and buzzworthy, rather than just a regularly rotating non-conference opponent, as it is now.

The slate of extra games should be hand selected by the league to draw interest and eyeballs, using specific themes and player matchups. Some games could feature "area rivalries", with, for example, the Jets vs Giants "battle for New York", the Bills vs Browns "Battle for Lake Erie", and Chargers vs Rams "Battle for SoFi". Another theme could be "Super Bowl Rematches", with games like the Patriots vs Giants or Cowboys vs Raiders. How about "Great Quarterback Battles", with Brady's Bucs vs Mahomes' Chiefs or Lamar's Ravens vs Kyler's Cards.

Using this method, the league could create opportunities for great matchups we otherwise don't get to see often. If they want Josh Allen vs Aaron Rodgers but the Bills aren't slated to play the Packers until 2025, no problem! Maybe they want one more bite at the Brady vs Belichick apple, but the Bucs aren't scheduled to play the Patriots any time soon...no big deal! The NFL would have the power to create 16 monster matchups each season, however they see fit.

Imagine, in the midst of schedule release mania, looking to see what "special feature" games were on the docket each year, the extra buzz and excitement those games could add to the season, and the frenzy of the TV networks battling for the best games. The NFL is really missing an opportunity here!

I remember he mentioned something like this. The problem becomes that eventually not everyone has a good rivalry and when Seattle is playing Las Vegas due to "proximity" it doesn't have the same ring to it. Truthfully the way they handled the 17th game made the most sense and teams want the most equitable schedule possible not the most entertaining.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, corta765 said:

I remember he mentioned something like this. The problem becomes that eventually not everyone has a good rivalry and when Seattle is playing Las Vegas due to "proximity" it doesn't have the same ring to it. Truthfully the way they handled the 17th game made the most sense and teams want the most equitable schedule possible not the most entertaining.

Right, but as I mentioned, not every game has to be region/proximity based. That's ONE basis upon which they could create matchup. Another would be QB vs QB, or Super Bowl rematches, or new player acquisitions, or any number of things. For instance, if Broncos vs Seahawks wasn't on the schedule this year (I'm not sure if it is or isn't), that could be the extra game: Russel Wilson returns to Seattle as QB of the Broncos. If they want Brady vs Belichick again, they just schedule Pats vs Bucs. This idea gives the NFL the flexibility to ensure that such compelling matchups get to take place, even if the rotating NFL schedule system otherwise wouldn't allow it.

Just now, Logic said:

Right, but as I mentioned, not every game has to be region/proximity based. That's ONE basis upon which they could create matchup. Another would be QB vs QB, or Super Bowl rematches, or new player acquisitions, or any number of things. For instance, if Broncos vs Seahawks wasn't on the schedule this year (I'm not sure if it is or isn't), that could be the extra game: Russel Wilson returns to Seattle as QB of the Broncos. If they want Brady vs Belichick again, they just schedule Pats vs Bucs. This idea gives the NFL the flexibility to ensure that such compelling matchups get to take place, even if the rotating NFL schedule system otherwise wouldn't allow it.

Def some good thoughts and merit there. One of the things the NFL maximizes with its schedule is the fact certain matchups are only every few years. The NFL is the only sports league where every game matters week to week, there is a uniqueness to each matchup, and a pageantry that is unmatched. The NFL is getting close if they expand too far to ruining that and killing the golden goose in a sense. The 17th game should make so two great QBs like Rodgers and Brady don't have to wait 4 years to faceoff as often, but I think the balance is pretty solid right now. I will say I would be curious with what they would do if for one year they paused the 17th game rotation for something like you proposed and what would come of it.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Russell Wilson is so overrated imo. He was good for like a 3 year stretch. He always starts out well and then he fades down the stretch. Broncos probably have the best overall roster in the AFC West but I bet they still finish 3rd

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This has been the most leak-proof pre-schedule release in memory.

I feel like the biggest leaks always come the afternoon of the schedule release day. We’ll have the schedule pretty much early tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I feel like the biggest leaks always come the afternoon of the schedule release day. We’ll have the schedule pretty much early tomorrow.

Give It To Me Want GIF

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, 416BillsFan said:

Anyone else hoping we don't have the kickoff game? It would be cool to see them get the exposure (do we even need it at this point?), but LA in November or December would be a great away game trip.

I will be relieved if it is not the Bills.  Do not want to play defending SB champs on opening night.   Don’t care if the Bills might be better on paper.   Seems like a tough task under the circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I will be relieved if it is not the Bills.  Do not want to play defending SB champs on opening night.   Don’t care if the Bills might be better on paper.   Seems like a tough task under the circumstances. 

I would rather get that west coast trip done week 1. Plus week 1 is always unpredictable. I would like to face a top team week 1.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Not me, I wanna beat the best right away. Set the tone.

22 is our year.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

That game would fall on my wife's birthday.  Hoping thats not the case

For what’s its worth my buddy who works in the Bills ticket office is saying ‘Ravens are a twitter leak’ and we’ll have ‘sore thanksgiving kneecaps’ (a reference to dan campbell’s opening press conference, implying that we’re playing Lions on Thanksgiving)