Bills Dolphins 1980

41 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I was at that game, great day.

31 minutes ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

1980, the first of many blown opportunities for the prize. 

This was opening day of 1980 season, it was the first time Bills beat the Dolphins in a decade. There was no blown opportunity on that day. As I’ve said I was there. 

15 minutes ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

If Bills couldn't handle Chiefs, how would they handle the Pack?

You are confusing the Bills victory over the Dolphins in September of 1980 with Bills loss in AFL Championship game for 1966 season, which was played on January 1, 1967. I was also at that game. It was not as much a blown opportunity as it was the best team won. It was obvious that day that an aging Bills squad was bested by a younger better team.

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

This was opening day of 1980 season, it was the first time Bills beat the Dolphins in a decade. There was no blown opportunity on that day. As I’ve said I was there. 

September 7th...it's was my brother's 14th birthday. Great present and the whole family got to share in it. 😎

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

IIRC, the fans tore down the goalposts. Too bad that's not on this tape.

They did.

I was at the game as a 14 y/o selling pop and candy in the stands.  Back in the day (not sure if they still do) when groups would man the concession stands and make money.  I belonged to a local Drum Corps that did just that for the game.

I remember they took the goal posts down and dragged a large chunk up the stands in the end zone opposite the scoreboard.  I can’t recall if they actually tossed it over the edge, but don’t believe so.  Pretty sure that was the intention.   I remember the crowd being absolutely crazy after the win.

• Like (+1) 1

I can agree with davefan66. I was in the upper deck for that game as a teen and the TV timeout at the 2 minute warning was so loud it was like we won the Super Bowl!  That was the tear down the goal posts game. They almost threw one of the uprights off the upper deck on the visitor side, which I was on, until cooler head prevailed and realized it would have killed people below. The other upright went into Ralph Wilson’s box. After that I made it a point to go to every Miami game every year, even when I moved out of Buffalo because of that game. It became my annual pilgrimage.

Edited by Locomark

19 hours ago, Wacka said:

IIRC, the fans tore down the goalposts. Too bad that's not on this tape.

Yep and they marched it up to near Ralph's suite and eventually dumped it over the stadium wall.

20 seconds left down by 10, Bills ball on Miami 5 yard line, Dolphins call their last time out, lol.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

21 hours ago, chris heff said:

I believe he means losing in the playoffs because of Ferguson's ankle. That team was good enough to win the SB against a bad Eagles team. 

17 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I believe he means losing in the playoffs because of Ferguson's ankle. That team was good enough to win the SB against a bad Eagles team. 

I don’t think that’s what he/she meant, you didn’t read Momma’s second post “If Bills couldn't handle Chiefs, how would they handle the Pack?”. He/she has 1980 confused with 1966. By the way in that playoff game in 1981 against San Diego, it wasn’t just Ferguson’s ankle, on the play before Fouts throws game winning TD Charles Romes let a sure interception bounce off his chest.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.