Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

OL might be off the table for you folks. Doesn't mean it's off the table for Beane. Likely it's not.

Guard could very easily be the pick, if they like one of the two or three or at absolute most four guards this year who appear to be good enough to be considered BPA at #25: Penning if they think he could transition to guard, Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson, and maybe Kinnard if they have him that high. Probably they think one or two of those might be a possible BPA and a guard. They might not go that way. Equally, they might. 

WR, CB, IOL and DL will probably be the positions they will consider to be positions of need at this point and reasonable first round considerations. Later, other positions will also be considered, IMO.

There are only three interior linemen with any chance of being BPA at #25 - Linderbaum, Green and Johnson. Anyone else would be a major over reach. If Penning is on the board at #25 (which I really doubt) he should absolutely be in contention for the pick but if I picked him I'm playing him at tackle and moving someone else to guard. 

Personally I am with those who don't want a guard at #25 and don't think the Bills will go that way. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There are only three interior linemen with any chance of being BPA at #25 - Linderbaum, Green and Johnson. Anyone else would be a major over reach. If Penning is on the board at #25 (which I really doubt) he should absolutely be in contention for the pick but if I picked him I'm playing him at tackle and moving someone else to guard. 

Personally I am with those who don't want a guard at #25 and don't think the Bills will go that way. 

Those are certainly legitimate opinions.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

I don't see any way the Bills will be using all 8 picks in this draft, let alone 7. I see them making 5 or 6 picks in the midst of a trade up or 2 for sure. Why bother taking 8 when maybe only 5 will make the team?

I agree - I also think this will be a very deep UDFA class with all of the extra talent in the draft pool.

I would be fine moving some depth players and mid/later picks to get a few earlier picks.

Give me 4 higher picks and retain 1 later for a position like punter in the 6th or 7th and then fill in with post draft cuts and UDFAs.

We lost 2 picks last year from our PS that were depth choices for this year.  If we make 7 or 8 picks - more than likely it happens again as the roster is already deep.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s absolutely possible that Beane is looking to move up & word got out. He, and every other GM, are exploring their options. The Bills roster is loaded and the cap is tight. The Giants are rumored to want to move out of one of their 1sts for a 1st the following year. 

Bills trade: 25, Edmunds, 2023 1st

Giants trade: 7

This trade is if, and only if, Sauce Gardner is still on the board. They aren’t going that high otherwise. If he is they draft:

Sauce Gardner

Christian Harris

Calvin Austin

If Sauce is not on the board they may try to slide up a few spots to get their WR of choice. There is likely a run on WR before and after them. Depending on how that board is stacked I could see a 3rd going to move up 5 or 6 spots. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s absolutely possible that Beane is looking to move up & word got out. He, and every other GM, are exploring their options. The Bills roster is loaded and the cap is tight. The Giants are rumored to want to move out of one of their 1sts for a 1st the following year. 

Bills trade: 25, Edmunds, 2023 1st

Giants trade: 7

This trade is if, and only if, Sauce Gardner is still on the board. They aren’t going that high otherwise. If he is they draft:

Sauce Gardner

Christian Harris

Calvin Austin

If Sauce is not on the board they may try to slide up a few spots to get their WR of choice. There is likely a run on WR before and after them. Depending on how that board is stacked I could see a 3rd going to move up 5 or 6 spots. 

I know Edmunds is the popular name to float, but we have no backup plan in place. I just don't see it. Also, Settle said Edmunds was instrumental in him coming to Buffalo. This just doesn't seem like a Beane/McDermott type of move to me, messing with the chemistry of this team in that manner. Even though I don't think this is the real reason for the flaws we see, I believe that the focus on the front four was partially in relation to helping Edmunds succeed in this defense. We have vastly improved the middle of the DL. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I know Edmunds is the popular name to float, but we have no backup plan in place. I just don't see it. Also, Settle said Edmunds was instrumental in him coming to Buffalo. This just doesn't seem like a Beane/McDermott type of move to me, messing with the chemistry of this team in that manner. Even though I don't think this is the real reason for the flaws we see, I believe that the focus on the front four was partially in relation to helping Edmunds succeed in this defense. We have vastly improved the middle of the DL. 

I just gave it in there. Christian Harris in round 2 would fill the Edmunds role at a fraction of the price moving forward. He’s long and athletic with suspect recognition skills. He’s the same guy 😂.

I do agree that they aren’t ready to give up on Edmunds. I also believe that unless he’s willing to sign a deal around $10M annually he won’t be back. The Giants know him and could value him as a young vet in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I just gave it in there. Christian Harris in round 2 would fill the Edmunds role at a fraction of the price moving forward. He’s long and athletic with suspect recognition skills. He’s the same guy 😂.

I do agree that they aren’t ready to give up on Edmunds. I also believe that unless he’s willing to sign a deal around $10M annually he won’t be back. The Giants know him and could value him as a young vet in the locker room.

Oh, I fully believe there is a draft plan for an Edmunds successor. :thumbsup: I am HOPING it's Chad Muma, my draft crush this year at the MLB position. I just don't think he will be the "veteran" in a move up, if we make one. Nor do I think Oliver, or Knox, or Dawkins are on that list. I don't think moving any of those guys improves this team enough with a rookie at any position for them to do it. We are all in on this season for that Lombardi, which is why I don't expect a move up unless a player they truly love falls out of the top 10. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I've been mocked for saying we're moving up for over a month now.  

You want to win now, you don't sit around and "hope" your guy is there at pick 25.

I'll trade the Giants 25 and a first next year for the 5th pick and call it a day.  Maybe get them to give us a 4th in 2023.  

well yeah, but you get mocked for everything you say. This little jem gives further reason. smfh🤦‍♂️

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Welcome back @Kirby Jackson!!

Missed ya bud.

Thanks!!

I’ll stop by occasionally to jam my perspective down peoples’ throats 😂😂. I really do love this time of year. The chaos and unknown is just so interesting. 

31 minutes ago, H2o said:

Oh, I fully believe there is a draft plan for an Edmunds successor. :thumbsup: I am HOPING it's Chad Muma, my draft crush this year at the MLB position. I just don't think he will be the "veteran" in a move up, if we make one. Nor do I think Oliver, or Knox, or Dawkins are on that list. I don't think moving any of those guys improves this team enough with a rookie at any position for them to do it. We are all in on this season for that Lombardi, which is why I don't expect a move up unless a player they truly love falls out of the top 10. 

Yeah, I’m not saying that they definitely move a vet, just that it’s possible. KC kind of changed the game with the Tyreek deal. They traded an absolute star, in his prime, to avoid the next deal. These decisions are on the horizon with the Bills (at least to a degree). The $30M handed to Tyreek makes the Diggs decision interesting after this year. That’s part of the reason that WR makes so much sense now. It allows you some flexibility moving forward.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

well yeah, but you get mocked for everything you say. This little jem gives further reason. smfh🤦‍♂️

Quite. 

The price to get from where the Bills are to where the Giants are at #5 (1700 points per JJ chart) would be at least: #25 (720), #57 (330), a 2023 1st rounder (take the mid range of round 1 and halve the value for one year removed - 500) and a starting calibre player. 

Great to ‘see’ you again, Kirby! Please don’t be a stranger. Your input is missed here!

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Thanks!!

I’ll stop by occasionally to jam my perspective done everyone’s throats 😂😂. I really do love this time of year. The chaos and unknown is just so interesting. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The problem with the offseason is that the deeper we get into it...........the more people forget how things actually transpired and what it means going forward.

The offense that got the Bills back into the playoffs after a late season push was predicated on running Josh Allen 10-15 times per game.

The offense needs to be able to function without Josh Allen running..........and certainly not on the 200 carry season pace he went on after the season went code red after the Monday night debacle at home against NE.]

I'm all about adding the elite pass rusher............but $15M aav for 3 new DT's was lavish.     And swapping out Daryl Williams for Rodger Saffold and Beasley/Sanders for Crowder wasn't enough(if ANY) improvement offensively.

I am glad Bates is back because I suspect he will have to fill in for Saffold a lot.   Still need more OL help and need a receiver who can produce some RAC for what was the absolute worst RAC team in the NFL.  

How soon we forget.

It's hard to watch the McD/Beane off-seasons and not see the personnel acquisition disparity between defense and offense.  For all the talk about cap limitations during this regime, they always seem to have a need/spend on defense with offense taking a backseat.

They've been a top-5 spending team on defense since 2019 and used 4 out of 6 1sts since McD/Beane took over. 

The GM said after the 2020 season that the way you lose your last game is where you know you're short.  Well, they got run out of the building by KC in 2020 couldn't rush the passer.  They added some DE's and went back with the offense from the previous season.  

This last KC loss I didn't see defensive personnel being the issue.  It was a wide gap in offensive skill talent and Josh's performance concealed that.  But if the answer is some 1 year deals and more defense I fail to see how that keeps pace with KC and the moves LAC, SD, CIN, and IND have made.  

• Like (+1) 1

I brought up the idea of trading Edmunds and our first to go up for on of the LBs in the first. It’s a good salary cap move both short and long term. 

Could see WR or CB as a target too both high dollar positions we could use upgrades at.

17 hours ago, mannc said:

Is Hamilton really better than Dax Hill, who will probably be available at 25?  Debatable…

I saw just a couple of Notre Dame games before Hamilton got injured.  I saw one play where he came all the way across the field to make an INT, similar to Hyde’s but from farther away.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have a feeling you could be correct.    Big fan of his talent but don't love the value in round 2.    The difference in the quality of your off-ball LB's in your team success itself isn't particularly different between average and excellent ones.   But I don't think the defense-centric McDermott sees it that way though and Anderson is definitely a box checker in many areas.   I will smh if they go CB in round 1 and then trade up for an off-ball LB with the first two picks though.........as should Josh Allen, IMO.

Yep. This would be a great way for the Bills to alienate a great QB.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I saw just a couple of Notre Dame games before Hamilton got injured.  I saw one play where he came all the way across the field to make an INT, similar to Hyde’s but from farther away.

Hamilton is absolutely outstanding. Think Derwin James's rookie season before the two ACLs. It is hard to be a true difference maker at safety but he was that year. Hamilton has that level of ability IMO. 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What did the Chargers need to add on offense?   They are loaded at WR and have a RB who scored 20 TD's.  They just drafted a stud LT.   The biggest investment they made this offseason was $20M aav to retain Mike Williams to retain their strong group of play makers.

"The contenders" were already very dynamic offensively and the opposition is trying hard to play catch up because QB play and offense is the name of the game.

IMO........the Bills receiving corps is not as talented as it was in 2020..........they are the annual Gabe Davis lower leg injury away from Jake Kumerow playing meaningful snaps on the outside..........in 2020 they had a top 5 WR corps.........they are middle of the road there now.........which doesn't seem like a great position to be in when your HC/GM say WR is your "fastball".

Additionally.........the OL was really bad last year in games where the Bills weren't using Josh Allen like a RB.   I like retaining Bates but Saffold was a mehcquisition.   

Offense should be a priority here.   I thought you were in agreement with Beane's original statements about protecting Josh being job #1.    That hasn't been the tenor of the offseason so far.   That's OK but hopefully that changes in the draft.   Time to support the only reason the team is a contender........the QB.

I want to go WR in the 1st and trade-up if the value is right. Basically I want a second true #1 receiver as good as Diggs playing opposite him.

My concern is that with Aaron Kromer having so much of Derm's trust serving as run game coordinator under a rooke OC, that they will over-rely on Kromer and run the ball too much and over-do 12 personnel.

Spreading the field with lots of talent at WR and letting Josh cook has made this a championship caliber team.

All this talk of "evolving" is frankly concerning to me. 

Become more multiple, that's fine but the fastball is by far the most commonly-thrown pitch for a reason. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

Hamilton has big time potential. He has the size, length, play speed, smarts, tackling ability to play in the box, and is solid in coverage. That is all you can ask for in a Safety prospect. He also improved every year. I know people want to knock his Pro Day 40 times, but he was clocked at 4.59 in Indy and definitely plays faster than a 4.7 on the field. He also can cover a ton of ground back there at 6'4" with an 80" wingspan. The one thing I have seen him do is take a bad angle here or there. I saw him get burned by a ball carrier, usually RB's and a couple of WR's, who were more agile and had better acceleration which created enough separation for a big play. It wasn't a frequent occurrence, but he will make a mistake every now and again. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.