Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We moved up multiple times correct? And everyone knew it was coming.

they moved up twice to get Josh Allen, then they moved up once to get Edmunds.....forgot that little detail when I posted my response.

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yep. You win 🏆.

Bills move to the top of 15, Giants move back multiple times and up with 3-4 1st round picks in 2023.

bills move up twice. Top 15 then top 10.

For whom though? 

It makes sense to move whatever draft capitol it takes when you're after core players like Franchise QB.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually.........it's TIME that Beane use more 1st and 2nd round picks on offense..........the more sustainable side of the ball and therefore generally the better investment.

And offense also happens to be the side least addressed again this offseason despite the Bills finishing #1 in team defense in 2021.

It would be nice to add a better CB than they've had opposite of White but in the Bills defensive system it's pretty easy to over-invest in a cornerback.    

This draft class is a lot deeper at receiver than cornerback and if we get Booth at #25 (if we don't trade up) there will still be dynamic players like Jahan Dotson, Skyy Moore, and Christian Watson available in the second. If Breece Hall falls to us in the 2nd, I think he's too good to pass up.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

The corners that will be availble at 25 are sort of the next tier after Gardner and Stingley…at the top of it you have Booth, McDuffie, Elam…then Gordon, Taylor-Britt, McCreary, Woolen ( off the chart measurables ) Alontae Taylor…so it is how Beane views the gap between them if he goes CB 1st Round in the pick 25 scenario.  Should be an interesting draft.

I think Gordon is better than that 2nd tier.  I don’t care about a 4.52 40, he is an athlete and much smoother than most of the guys who ran faster.  In addition, he is big enough and good enough to be a positive in run defense.  I’m no scout, so I won’t argue too strongly, but to my untrained eye (but 5 decades of watching the game) I like Gordon better than Elam.  

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I almost expect Beane to move up. We're kind of in no man's land when it comes to landing one of the top 4 CB's or top 4 WR's. Maybe one of them falls, but it doesn't look good and I don't expect Beane to sit there and risk losing out on a guy he sees as a difference maker.

But as I said in a previous post, I wouldn't be looking at starters when it comes to veterans being packaged with picks. He'd just be creating a hole and then needing to fill it, on top of our other holes at that point. 

I'd expect we're talking about guys like Zack Moss, AJ Epenesa, or Cody Ford. Guys who teams may have liked coming out of college and think they could benefit from a change in system.

Of that group, I still think that Epenesa can be salvaged.  I think he shows flashes.  Between Epenesa and Basham, I think Epenesa has a slight edge, but don’t read that as I don’t like Basham.  I think with Hughes and Addison out of the rotation we will see step ups by Rousseau, Epenesa and Basham.

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Considering the amount of assets and cap space this team has invested defensively, I’d be disappointed if they continue to invest high draft picks on defense yet again(especially for an off the ball LB)… Despite preaching they want to protect their Josh Allen investment.  

Cincy loaded up their offensive line and already have arguably the best skills position players in the league… and I think KC is most likely to use most of those picks they got for Hill on offense…. At a cheaper bargain. 

I thought you said the NFL is zigging though….  You named 2 teams (one I had already mentioned).  I was looking for some evidence that the league is zigging.  You provided none

Edited by NewEra

If Edmunds is traded my guess is it’s with the Giants. Bills trade 1st 25, 4th 130, 2023 1st + Edmunds, and Epenesa to the Giants for pick 7 and CB Bradberry. 

We would have a hole at MLB. Do they try to get one of the pass rushers? 

In this scenario the Bills select preseason #1 overall player DE Kayvon Thibodeaux 7th.

Then in the 2nd they draft LB Troy Anderson.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I think with this rumour, you all best be prepared when Christian Wade is named in the deal...

🙁😢😞😔😖😫🥺

Never! He is the reason the Bills will not be drafting any running backs. This is his breakout year. …. Let the C Wade threads begin. ….. 🤣😂😅😆😝😃🤪

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

This fella on Twitter that some seem to think has Bills connections (I have no idea if he does or not, but some swear by him) has this to say:

A reference to the Tweet by Zig Fracassi, I assume.

and…

Maybe the Bills just don’t want to pay Edmunds the type of money he’s gonna be looking for. Can’t re-sign EVERYBODY, and getting cheap off-ball linebacker labor to replace Edmunds (whether he’s traded or we just let his contract expire) seems pretty Beane-y.

This  guy offers absolutely nothing. Bills connections? LOL

He is a fan who just parrots and cherry picks stuff he sees by others on the internet...and he's not even good at that.

Doesn't seem too bright.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Of that group, I still think that Epenesa can be salvaged.  I think he shows flashes.  Between Epenesa and Basham, I think Epenesa has a slight edge, but don’t read that as I don’t like Basham.  I think with Hughes and Addison out of the rotation we will see step ups by Rousseau, Epenesa and Basham.

He for sure has value. That's why a team would want to trade for him. I was looking at guys who have value, but won't kill us to lose. We have our starting DE's locked up for at least the next 3 seasons in Von Miller and Greg Rousseau. In my opinion, I'd sooner let go of Epenesa than Basham.

To me, Basham was more impressive in college than Epenesa. And while Basham underachieved a bit, it was his Rookie year. I feel he has more room to learn and grow than Epenesa does. His two seasons have not impressed me and I've seen very little growth. His lack of impact and growth is why we had to go out and get Von Miller.

I feel we can get his production from Basham, Shaq Lawson, or a mid round pick. If packaging Epenesa will make a trade up happen, I'd have no problem doing it.

44 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Which contending teams have been stacking offense other than the bengals using all their money on OL?  The chargers added mostly D.  The chiefs sold their most important non qb for picks.  Packers spent all money on AR and Defense.  About equal O and D.  Niners did nothing on O.  Bucs resigned their own.  Tennessee basically a wash.  Ravens did nada.  

the big O moves were QBs and that’s just because teams were willing to trade great QBs for the first time ever.  Hill and adams trades will likely end up moot as both team unlikely to make the playoffs imo.  

Broncos added Russell Wilson.

AFC champ Cinci totally re-built their OL.

Raiders added the league's best WR Davonte Adams to a team that already made the playoffs.

The Dolphins added Tyreek Hill to a team that won 9 straight games late last season........they figure to contend for a WC at least.

Browns added a great QB talent and a $20M WR in Amari Cooper.

Colts added a legit good starting QB..........Matt Ryan actually played really well despite being on an overmatched team in the game in Buffalo this year..........only game of the year where he was not credited with a "bad throw".    He is better than most at dissecting the kind of things the Bills do defensively.

There were a lot of good moves made.........the teams you are talking about were already offense/QB driven teams.    

I agree with Scott that the league isn't suddenly trying to become great at defense..........the focus for the most part is matching the offensive fire power of the defending division champ type teams. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not one to insist that this player will "be gone" by then..........but I tend to think Troy Anderson won't still be there when the Bills select in round 3.

Could be wrong.......Spencer Brown was a similar freak athlete at a much more prioritized position and he lasted until the end of round 3 despite some 1st and 2nd round talk.     But this draft is starting to get a lot of LB buzz so I suspect there might be a run on them in rounds 2 and 3.

If the Bills want Troy Anderson that badly they probably have to pull the trigger in round 2.......which is crazy early for such a raw prospect.   I think he would make a good Edmunds replacement but I hope they do not take him that early.........there may be a half dozen or more ILB's in this draft who will be as good or better than the plateaued version of Edmunds the Bills have had for the past 2 years.......but McBeane's heart will want what it wants.    That's how they ended up wasting Edmunds' talents as a miscast MLB. 

True….seems like all our picks fall in no man’s land… either too early or too late

19 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think Gordon is better than that 2nd tier.  I don’t care about a 4.52 40, he is an athlete and much smoother than most of the guys who ran faster.  In addition, he is big enough and good enough to be a positive in run defense.  I’m no scout, so I won’t argue too strongly, but to my untrained eye (but 5 decades of watching the game) I like Gordon better than Elam.  

I guess that is my point… it’s where Beane grades them out… he might have Gordon at the top of the CBs other than Gardner and Stingley…so it’s his value and his navigation of the draft board.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

True….seems like all our picks fall in no man’s land… either too early or too late

For the players I would love to see them get........that's generally the case as I see the board landing, IMO.

Doesn't mean that quality won't fall to you though............a lot of people were enamored with Zay Jones and his surreal amount of catches in college and were glad McDermott/Whaley traded up for him..........but Cooper Kupp has turned out to be a whole lot better player.   

Not saying they should sit on their hands but they've been hit and miss with trade ups in the 5 drafts since McDermott has been here.    Allen was obviously a great one and Dawkins and Knox worked out very well.    Zay Jones and Cody Ford were spectacular failures and the Edmunds trade hasn't turned out to have been worth the squeeze with two play-making ALL PRO ILB's drafted soon after him.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.