Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

41 minutes ago, H2o said:

Hamilton has big time potential. He has the size, length, play speed, smarts, tackling ability to play in the box, and is solid in coverage. That is all you can ask for in a Safety prospect. He also improved every year. I know people want to knock his Pro Day 40 times, but he was clocked at 4.59 in Indy and definitely plays faster than a 4.7 on the field. He also can cover a ton of ground back there at 6'4" with an 80" wingspan. The one thing I have seen him do is take a bad angle here or there. I saw him get burned by a ball carrier, usually RB's and a couple of WR's, who were more agile and had better acceleration which created enough separation for a big play. It wasn't a frequent occurrence, but he will make a mistake every now and again. 

I dunno man,  after reviewing film of both Hamilton and Dax Hill, I see all the same qualities in Hill who also has a faster 40 time.   He also appears to me to have a quicker first step than Hamilton when breaking towards the ball.   I would be tickled to death if he falls to 25 and the Bills scoop him up.   

I think Hills stock will continue to rise on draft day while a lot of others will drop off some.   Just my opinion though.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

It's hard to watch the McD/Beane off-seasons and not see the personnel acquisition disparity between defense and offense.  For all the talk about cap limitations during this regime, they always seem to have a need/spend on defense with offense taking a backseat.

They've been a top-5 spending team on defense since 2019 and used 4 out of 6 1sts since McD/Beane took over. 

The GM said after the 2020 season that the way you lose your last game is where you know you're short.  Well, they got run out of the building by KC in 2020 couldn't rush the passer.  They added some DE's and went back with the offense from the previous season.  

This last KC loss I didn't see defensive personnel being the issue.  It was a wide gap in offensive skill talent and Josh's performance concealed that.  But if the answer is some 1 year deals and more defense I fail to see how that keeps pace with KC and the moves LAC, SD, CIN, and IND have made.  

I agree with you that it seems investment has been over the top on the defense, but the defense should be a massive improvement… especially with the investment on DL, which is really the only way to shut down these offenses… ie., stop the run and rush the passer.  Coverage can only ever hold up for so long. 

-Von Miller is a game-changing addition.  We (IMO) likely would have won the SB with him last year.  Our coaches never would’ve had the chance to spaz late game against KC. 

-We’ve upgraded the IDL with more than just 1 year deals..  Settle & Jones are here on multi-year contracts.  

-Were also at the point in their early careers where our DE’s make the jump if it’s going to happen.  Having Von Miller in the room helps the odds of that jump happening for Rousseau, Basham & Epenesa.  Late RD1/RD2 DE’s typically take a year or two. 

CB situation aside, and we’ll see how they handle that, this defense could be massively improved from last year.  

On Offense, I’d agree that we haven’t invested enough, and that’s why I’d very much rather this be a heavy offense draft.  

The strength of this draft is RD’s 2-4, and I’d be disappointed if 3 of the 4 picks aren’t Offense.  I’d honestly be frustrated if our RD1 pick isn’t offense (WR or OL), but I’m preparing myself for corner. 

We can’t rely on Josh Allen to be on god-mode all the time.  It seems they recognize that, but as of now, we’ve really just given him a slight upgrade at LG, RB and slot WR over last year, with a big upgrade at TE2.  The hope on the OL being Brown makes a jump, because the other starting 4 look good, especially with the massive upgrade in coaching with Kromer.  

This is a very much improved team from last year, already, but it’s an arms race and I’d prefer we finally draft a heavy artillery piece for Josh.  

Edited by SCBills

33 minutes ago, Lost said:

I dunno man,  after reviewing film of both Hamilton and Dax Hill, I see all the same qualities in Hill who also has a faster 40 time.   He also appears to me to have a quicker first step than Hamilton when breaking towards the ball.   I would be tickled to death if he falls to 25 and the Bills scoop him up.   

I think Hills stock will continue to rise on draft day while a lot of others will drop off some.   Just my opinion though.

I definitely think Dax Hill is in play @25. I personally think he can play as a outside corner till Tre comes back. He can also fill in for Poyer, Hyde, or Johnson if they are out. He’d bring our dime packages to another level. We would lead the NFL in playing dime packages. Which would lead to the discussion of is Tremaine worth $12 million dollars playing 30 plays a game? 🤔

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Likewise… Still don’t fully trust McDermott knows what he’s doing offensively…. Running the ball more and in turn taking the ball out of Josh’s hands more is not the answer and I’m hoping this isn’t what they are planning on doing…. 

McDermott already hinted at being able to get WRs later in the draft so I wouldn’t at all be shocked if what you are suggesting is what they/he is thinking.  

McDermott and Bills are not going to take the ball out of Allen's hands more than what's necessary.  The Bills coaching staff and the entire league for that matter, know that Josh is a top 3 weapon in the NFL. Every team in the league knows you have to put the ball in your best player's hands to win. The Bills are won't be a balanced offense with the qb and receivers we have.

I don't see more rb carries at this point. I just think the team wants quality attempts from the running game

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The problem with the offseason is that the deeper we get into it...........the more people forget how things actually transpired and what it means going forward.

The offense that got the Bills back into the playoffs after a late season push was predicated on running Josh Allen 10-15 times per game.

I probably agree with your conclusion, but I'm curious how you're slicing and dicing the season to get this number 10-15 times.

Overall in his career so far, Josh has been a 7 rush per game guy.

If we look at the last 4 games (the 4 games the Bills had to win, and won to get in, Josh ran 3, 12, 15, and 5 times.  That's an average of 8.7, which is "up" from 7 rushes per game, but it's a bit hard to look at those numbers and say that those 4 wins were predicated on Josh running 10-15 time a game (when 2 were, and 2 weren't)

The offense needs to be able to function without Josh Allen running..........and certainly not on the 200 carry season pace he went on after the season went code red after the Monday night debacle at home against NE.]

OK, so if you're starting after NE, then we have 5 games, 12, 3, 12, 15, 5 attempts for 9 attempts per game.  Again, still up - but when you have 3 games that fit one pattern, and 2 games that don't, is it really reasonable to say "predicated"? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02/gamelog/2021/

The same holds true for the playoffs, 6 rushes in one, 11 in the other.  Saying the offense was "predicated" on Josh running 10-15 times seems a weak argument when you have 4 games that fit one pattern and 3 that fit another.  In general, if you have to bin almost half the data up as exceptions to your rule, you don't have a rule.

I think we just overall tried to run the football a lot more - Singletary's use was up a lot at the end of the season after a 6 game stretch where he got <10 carries/game

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00/gamelog/2021/

I'm all about adding the elite pass rusher............but $15M aav for 3 new DT's was lavish.     And swapping out Daryl Williams for Rodger Saffold and Beasley/Sanders for Crowder wasn't enough(if ANY) improvement offensively.

I am glad Bates is back because I suspect he will have to fill in for Saffold a lot.   Still need more OL help and need a receiver who can produce some RAC for what was the absolute worst RAC team in the NFL. 

I completely agree that we need more OL help than we've gotten so far.  I think Saffold for Williams may be an improvement in the run game, but he wasn't an improvement in the pass game last year.  And more offensive weapons. 

So in terms of conclusion, I think we're aligned but in terms of looking at the data, not sure how you're slicing it to reach that conclusion

35 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree with you that it seems investment has been over the top on the defense, but the answer is not just “some 1 year deals and more defense”… I know you know that’s a ridiculous statement..

-Von Miller is a massive addition.  

-We’ve upgraded the IDL with more than just 1 year deals..  Settle & Jones are here on multi-year contracts.  

-Were also at the point in their early careers where our DE’s make the jump if it’s going to happen.  Having Von Miller in the room helps the odds of that jump happening for Rousseau, Basham & Epenesa.  Late RD1/RD2 DE’s typically take a year or two. 

CB situation aside, and we’ll see how they handle that, this defense could be massively improved from last year.  

On Offense, I’d agree that we haven’t invested enough, and that’s why I’d very much rather this be a heavy offense draft.  

The strength of this draft is RD’s 2-4, and I’d be disappointed if 3 of the 4 picks aren’t Offense.  I’d honestly be frustrated if our RD1 pick isn’t offense (WR or OL), but I’m preparing myself for corner. 

We can’t rely on Josh Allen to be on god-mode all the time.  It seems they recognize that, but as of now, we’ve really just given him a slight upgrade at LG, RB and slot WR over last year, with a big upgrade at TE2.  The hope on the OL being Brown makes a jump, because the other starting 4 look good, especially with the massive upgrade in coaching with Kromer.  

This is a very much improved team from last year, already, but it’s an arms race and I’d prefer we finally draft a heavy artillery piece for Josh.  

Re: the draft.  It's not an opportunity to fill needs with picks.  Every year I see people say we'll draft position X in the first, position Y in the second and presto-blamo we're good.  That's people who don't think strategically and view roster development with a severe case of myopia.  

My point remains about the offense versus the defense.  They constantly give the HC what he wants on defense and this year they were wise to sign a proven pass rusher.  No argument there, but what they did on offense is really underwhelming, especially at the skill positions.  It's not enough, especially when people expand their perspective and see what other AFC teams did this off-season.  CIN, LAC, LVR, and KC are building/have built offenses with a defensive focus on the pass rush.  Makes sense.  

What doesn't make sense is Buffalo adding defensive pieces without keeping pace on offense.  I'll contend it's because the HC is a blockhead who thinks you need an 8-10 man DL rotation and to take the ball out of your QB's hands running it more to create "balance."  They need a WR to fit in and perhaps they'll draft that guy, but with McHardhead, I wouldn't put it past him to go defense and make it 5 of 7 years using a 1st on that side. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Re: the draft.  It's not an opportunity to fill needs with picks.  Every year I see people say we'll draft position X in the first, position Y in the second and presto-blamo we're good.  That's people who don't think strategically and view roster development with a severe case of myopia.  

My point remains about the offense versus the defense.  They constantly give the HC what he wants on defense and this year they were wise to sign a proven pass rusher.  No argument there, but what they did on offense is really underwhelming, especially at the skill positions.  It's not enough, especially when people expand their perspective and see what other AFC teams did this off-season.  CIN, LAC, LVR, and KC are building/have built offenses with a defensive focus on the pass rush.  Makes sense.  

What doesn't make sense is Buffalo adding defensive pieces without keeping pace on offense.  I'll contend it's because the HC is a blockhead who thinks you need an 8-10 man DL rotation and to take the ball out of your QB's hands running it more to create "balance."  They need a WR to fit in and perhaps they'll draft that guy, but with McHardhead, I wouldn't put it past him to go defense and make it 5 of 7 years using a 1st on that side. 

I disagree slightly with some of your points, but am in 100% agreement that if we go CB at 25 or via trade-up, over WR at 25, or trade-up… I’ll be pretty frustrated.   Especially when we all know the guy, whether it’s Williams, Watson etc.. whoever we are wanting to draft at 25 then goes to KC a few picks later while McDermott gets Daxton Hill or some nonsense. 

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Over a 4 game stretch Allen ran the ball 42 times........after the home NE loss (6) and before the finale against the uncompetitive Jets(5).......that's clearly what I was talking about and you should remember that.  In the middle of that stretch of 4 games they tried to have Allen just throw from the pocket against Carolina,  the 3 rush game, but it turned into one of his worst passing games of the year and he was sacked 4 times........so it was back to QB runs.

They clearly realized that the offense wasn't working well enough to beat a good team without using Allen like RB1...........this realization after scoring just 9 points in Jax and 15 points and 10 points against Indy and NE in losses at home over a 5 game stretch.

Things WERE NOT going well on offense until Josh started pounding the rock.

And yes right now the Bills are the betting favorites..........not the #1 team in the NFL........KC was the betting favorite this time last season and didn't reach the SB.

Didn't you have a large wager on the Bills win total that went to hell because of that offensive slump at mid-season which was mainly due to the combination of poor OL play and a lack of RAC ability in the receiving corps?    

Not sure what this has to do with Beane zagging while the rest of the nfl is zigging…. That was my talking point.  I’ll refrain from commenting on the rest so we can concentrate on the topic I was discussing. 

Our zagging:  

-adding a HoF pass rusher that just won the SB after dominating the playoffs.

-replacing our 3 DTs (2 free agents and cutting star) with 3 DTs.  Clearly upgrades.  
- getting rid of two bad salaries in Williams and Feliciano while replacing the with a proven run blocking force and retaining our young athletic OG.

- signing value contracts on Howard, Crowder and Duke Johnson.  While not world beaters, all considered upgrades imo. Crowder and Beasley were FAs together and Crowder got a bunch more $ than Beasley.  He just didn’t have 17.   OJ is 10x Sweeney and will allow us to become more multiple in our sets.  He tried for mckissic and ended up with Duke…for 1M. Resigning Lil dirty. 
-added Aaron Kromer as OL coach.  

Yes, I pushed my bills over 11 wins bet.  Mostly due to poor OL play.  Also due to pool IDL play.  We lost the SB because we didn’t have any good corners and our coaches were scared of them getting burnt.

I think we addressed Yac and OL.  Howard over Sweeney (Doyle), crowder over Beasley, Duke over Moss.  Saffold > Bates.  Bates > Williams.  They might not be the shiny toys we wanted, but did you expect them to make a splash and sign a big name WR in this WR market?  We’re going to have enough trouble resigning Diggs. Scherff would’ve been nice….but that much money for a guard?  The bengals wouldn’t even go there and they had the cap space.  I like the productivity potential + salary that we added on O…..mostly because we’ve added von Miller on D.  Our pass rush should now be legit legit.  Pass rush and QBs have been winning Super Bowls for decades.  Now we have both.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not sure what this has to do with Beane zagging while the rest of the nfl is zigging…. That was my talking point.  I’ll refrain from commenting on the rest so we can concentrate on the topic I was discussing. 

Our zagging:  

-adding a HoF pass rusher that just won the SB after dominating the playoffs.

-replacing our 3 DTs (2 free agents and cutting star) with 3 DTs.  Clearly upgrades.  
- getting rid of two bad salaries in Williams and Feliciano while replacing the with a proven run blocking force and retaining our young athletic OG.

- signing value contracts on Howard, Crowder and Duke Johnson.  While not world beaters, all considered upgrades imo. Crowder and Beasley were FAs together and Crowder got a bunch more $ than Beasley.  He just didn’t have 17.   OJ is 10x Sweeney and will allow us to become more multiple in our sets.  He tried for mckissic and ended up with Duke…for 1M. Resigning Lil dirty. 
-added Aaron Kromer as OL coach.  

Yes, I pushed my bills over 11 wins bet.  Mostly due to poor OL play.  Also due to pool IDL play.  We lost the SB because we didn’t have any good corners and our coaches were scared of them getting burnt.

I think we addressed Yac and OL.  Howard over Sweeney (Doyle), crowder over Beasley, Duke over Moss.  Saffold > Bates.  Bates > Williams.  They might not be the shiny toys we wanted, but did you expect them to make a splash and sign a big name WR in this WR market?  We’re going to have enough trouble resigning Diggs. Scherff would’ve been nice….but that much money for a guard?  The bengals wouldn’t even go there and they had the cap space.  I like the productivity potential + salary that we added on O…..mostly because we’ve added von Miller on D.  Our pass rush should now be legit legit.  Pass rush and QBs have been winning Super Bowls for decades.  Now we have both.  

I know this isn’t directed to me, but I’ll respond because I agree with everything you said.  

I think we’ve handled this off-season about as well as I could’ve hoped.  

Allen Robinson would’ve been fun, and maybe he was the fall back if we didn’t get Von Miller, similar to what the Rams did when they lost Von to us. 

I think many of us are just dreading another high pick on defense.   I get it.. CB is a need, but unless we’re trading a vet or two off this defense, we have so much tied up on that side of the ball.   

Meanwhile we’ve provided Allen with a solid OL, meh RB’s and (good, potentially great) weaponry in the passing game with Diggs-Davis-Crowder-McKenzie-Knox-Howard as a very promising group of weapons, but are they instilling fear in opposing defenses?  Debatable. They fear 17, and because of 17, all those pieces are much scarier, but can we just give him one high pick as a weapon??  

The AFC is absurd, and we’ve devoted enough on defense to where CB at 25, or via trade-up, shouldn’t be a necessity.  We’ll land a vet before the season starts, we always do.  If they want to go CB in RD2 or RD3, fine.. but it’s becoming comical the level premium pick defensive investment on this team. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I disagree slightly with some of your points, but am in 100% agreement that if we go CB at 25 or via trade-up, over WR at 25, or trade-up… I’ll be pretty frustrated. Especially when we all know the guy, whether it’s Williams, Watson etc.. whoever we are wanting to draft at 25 then goes to KC a few picks later while McDermott gets Daxton Hill or some nonsense. 

This team drafting a CB will make at least one poster's head hurt.  His name is @BillfromNYC :lol:

As to McCoach...his inability to understand and build an offensive unit is concerning now into his 6th off-season as a HC.  Because after the last game they played, he's head and shoulders above anyone else at OBD as the weak link.    

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I'm with you on the hope for a WR in round 1.  Then the offseason offense adjustments are positive.  Crowder>Beas, Saffold>Williams and hopefully round 1 draftee replaces (>) Sanders -and the long term benefits of stopping the revolving door there with a rookie deal are immense.  I disagree on the childish McHardhead comment - this coach has been adjusting and improving each year. 

I worry about the quality of WR left at 25 though, the TSW draft showed an example tbat really hurt - the top 6 were gone.  But most mocks show one of the top 6 there, so while risky i don't think they have to make a move.

For the OP, if they do try and move up, I hope it's in maybe rounds 2-3.  After getting a WR in round 1, I could see them really anxious to get a Kyler Gordon in round 2.  And this would also be a good year to get another RB - maybe move up for Hall or Walker.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I probably agree with your conclusion, but I'm curious how you're slicing and dicing the season to get this number 10-15 times.

Overall in his career so far, Josh has been a 7 rush per game guy.

If we look at the last 4 games (the 4 games the Bills had to win, and won to get in, Josh ran 3, 12, 15, and 5 times.  That's an average of 8.7, which is "up" from 7 rushes per game, but it's a bit hard to look at those numbers and say that those 4 wins were predicated on Josh running 10-15 time a game (when 2 were, and 2 weren't)

OK, so if you're starting after NE, then we have 5 games, 12, 3, 12, 15, 5 attempts for 9 attempts per game.  Again, still up - but when you have 3 games that fit one pattern, and 2 games that don't, is it really reasonable to say "predicated"? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02/gamelog/2021/

The same holds true for the playoffs, 6 rushes in one, 11 in the other.  Saying the offense was "predicated" on Josh running 10-15 times seems a weak argument when you have 4 games that fit one pattern and 3 that fit another.  In general, if you have to bin almost half the data up as exceptions to your rule, you don't have a rule.

I think we just overall tried to run the football a lot more - Singletary's use was up a lot at the end of the season after a 6 game stretch where he got <10 carries/game

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SingDe00/gamelog/2021/

I completely agree that we need more OL help than we've gotten so far.  I think Saffold for Williams may be an improvement in the run game, but he wasn't an improvement in the pass game last year.  And more offensive weapons. 

So in terms of conclusion, I think we're aligned but in terms of looking at the data, not sure how you're slicing it to reach that conclusion

People might forget the circumstances around all those late season runs by Allen.........they were still happening AFTER he injured his toe in Tampa.   It was an act of desperation to stay in playoff position.

They tried to not run him against Carolina........it was obvious........but the pressure the OL was allowing(including 4 sacks that day) without using Allen as a hammer on the ground was defeating that purpose.

What was really telling were the 15 rushes against lowly Atlanta.   It was a clear admission that their offense wasn't working right without designed QB runs.

The finale against the Jets was a cake-walk and still he had 5 rushes somehow.

They ran Allen 6 times in just 7 series in the dominating win over NE in the WC game but it was back to 11 in KC.

It was pretty obvious at the time that running Allen more was a reaction to games where they scored just 9, 15 and 10 points in losses during the 5 game stretch that culminated with the home loss in NE (a game where one of the immediate take aways in hindsight was that they should have used Allen for 10-15 rushes).

I do agree they need to run the ball more effectively.....not necessarily more........and I'd like to see more 12 personnel because Allen has been great out of play action...........but I'm not impressed with their OL talent or depth and,  as I've said,  if Gabe Davis spends half the season hobbled by a foot/ankle injury for a 3rd straight season then that probably means Jake Kumerow playing a lot of snaps outside if they don't get a WR in rounds 1-3.

They need to add a potential WR1 and some RAC ability to this WR corps and it's a good draft to do it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I agree, this coaching staff is a little too focused on the DL rotation.  Having said that I don't think there should be an over emphasis to draft a receiver in the first round.   

Of the top 10 receivers in the league last year, only 2 of them were first round draft picks, 1 was from 2nd, 4 were from 3rd and 3 from 5th.   I absolutely want to add more young receivers to the team but I think the value there is in the middle rounds.   I'm pretty content with Diggs, Davis, Crowder, McKenzie.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

This team drafting a CB will make at least one poster's head hurt.  His name is @BillfromNYC :lol:

As to McCoach...his inability to understand and build an offensive unit is concerning now into his 6th off-season as a HC.  Because after the last game they played, he's head and shoulders above anyone else at OBD as the weak link.    

We have one of the best offenses in the league and Beane makes personnel decisions.  Literally, everything you said in the last two sentences is wrong.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

How do you mentally square up the contention that McDermott does not know how to build an offensive unit as a HC, with the fact that the Bills offense ranked 2nd and 3rd on PF the last 2 seasons, after the development of their QB and the steady addition of weapons for him at WR and TE?

Also, you mention "after the last game".  Most people seem to believe that the offense played absolutely lights-out in the last 2 games and especially the last game, and that the defense lost us the game.  How do you square that viewpoint (some would call it a fact) with your contention that offense is the problem?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

We have one of the best offenses in the league and Beane makes personnel decisions.  Literally, everything you said in the last two sentences is wrong.

The Bills offense took a significant step back last regular season.........coming off the loss to NE......the 3rd loss in 5 games, all scoring in the teens.......it was becoming a crisis situation.   That's when they turned to the unsustainable run-Josh offense.

The Bills defense ranked #1 in 2021.

Yet the vast majority of dollars spent in UFA have gone to the defensive side of the ball.

4 legitimate long term deals for DL.........the only actual multi-year deal on offensive side was Bates.......and that was forced by Beane misplaying his hand with the tender. (not saying it won't pay off long term but I don't think for a minute he planned on paying Bates what he had to)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Lost said:

I agree, this coaching staff is a little too focused on the DL rotation.  Having said that I don't think there should be an over emphasis to draft a receiver in the first round.   

Of the top 10 receivers in the league last year, only 2 of them were first round draft picks, 1 was from 2nd, 4 were from 3rd and 3 from 5th.   I absolutely want to add more young receivers to the team but I think the value there is in the middle rounds.   I'm pretty content with Diggs, Davis, Crowder, McKenzie.  

Seems short-sighted.  FA is for the short term needs and the draft is for filling premium positions for the long haul.  A first round WR pick would immediately occupy the Sanders spot for the next 3 years at least, that's been at least $6M a year.  It also gives Josh/Dorsey some continuity.  And has the potential to be a WR1 type player - which is not only expensive to fill but difficult to get.  It would make the future a lot brighter.

The pick does not have to be a top 10 receiver in the league to make the pick a success.  That is a ridiculously high standard, especially in the WR market.  If the draftee produce similar numbers to Sanders that would be a win.

Also, intent matters.  People here are already quoting stats of the poor offensive investment.  I would like to see an end put to that. 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills offense took a significant step back last regular season.........coming off the loss to NE......the 3rd loss in 5 games, all scoring in the teens.......it was becoming a crisis situation.   That's when they turned to the unsustainable run-Josh offense.

The Bills defense ranked #1 in 2021.

Yet the vast majority of dollars spent in UFA have gone to the defensive side of the ball.

4 legitimate long term deals for DL.........the only actual multi-year deal on offensive side was Bates.......and that was forced by Beane misplaying his hand with the tender. (not saying it won't pay off long term but I don't think for a minute he planned on paying Bates what he had to)

I don't disagree, because this is what reasonable criticism looks like.  Popping off about "McCoach's" personnel decisions is just silly.

Much like our lofty offensive rating, the #1 defense doesn't really tell the whole story.  Pass rusher was the biggest need on the roster.  And it concerns me too that every year Dline remains a problem area.  Beane has done a great job building this team but he his free agent signings on the Dline have not worked out well to date.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.