TSW Mock Draft Buffalo Bills Poll - Who should the Bills take at 25?

Virgil

Who should the Bills take at 25?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills take at 25?

• Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State (44)
    • Kenneth Walker III, RB, MSU (50)
    • Jahan Dotson, WR, PSU (39)
    • Christian Watson, WR, NDSU (53)
    • Tre McBride, TE, Colorado St (49)
    • Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan (24)
    • Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota (28)
    • George Karlaftis, Edge, Purdue (13)
    • Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia (34)
    • Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia (21)
    • Trent McDuffie, DB, Washington (20)
    • Roger McCreary, DB, Auburn (26)
    • Daxton Hill, S, Michigan (19)

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think it's arguable that McDermott and Beane care about measurements. Every 1st round pick they've made has had prototypical measurements. I guess Ed Oliver is the one case you could make as far as pure physical traits but he had elite, almost generational, speed and agility measurements. With CBs in particular we have never started one with under 30" arms. Dane Jackson is the shortest they've gone at 30 3/8" and he was a 7th rounder that was forced into a starting role. I'll be totally shocked if they take a short arm CB in the 1st round.

You just mentioned a guy we took that didn't have perfect measurements. I'm not saying it's not a factor. But I am saying it's not the be all end all. His fit in the system, his production, and his IQ also matter. His arms a little short, but he also has a very good vertical, which makes up for some of the length. And again, if he was someone who wasn't on their board bc of the measurements, I don't think they'd have met with him at the Combine and the Pro Day. And I'd expect you'll see him come in on a Pre-Draft visit as well. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

For a 1st round CB you want someone that can contest catches against the Mike Evans of the world 1-on-1, or defend against a goal line fade. If you put McDuffie in the slot he might be elite. I wouldn't take a slot CB in the 1st round and McDermott won't use him outside. Whether you care about arm length or not it's something this regime values. Look at the CBs we've added and started. McDuffie is not even in the conversation.

Joe Marino pointed out there hasn't been an all-pro CB with under 30" arms in over 10 years, and only 3 under 32" in the same time frame. It matters.

Tre white has struggled some with big receivers throughout his career and he was still well worth the first round pick. Not to mention that McDuffie’s 38.5” vertical (6.5” better than Tre) will help make up for his arms being 2.5” shorter on jump balls against said big receivers. Either way he’s a flat out baller (he was better than Tre was at LSU) and I’d be shocked if he even lasted til the Bills pick let alone make it past.

• Disagree 1

I like how this went for the Bills - in reality I hope for Penning/Booth/Olave/Williams/Burks and I think there is a chance that one of them will be here. But here in TSW mock I wanted to see this exact scenario just to see what people think we should do if all of the above are gone.

I am really surprised that Gordon, Elam and Zion Johnson weren't included, instead of e.g. McBride, Faalele or Walker, who could possibly be in conversation, but one round later.

But in the end it would probably didn't matter, given how clearly McDuffie won.

After reading a lot about him I am still confused. I am not sure if I was able to get excited about the pick. But for example Jeremiah is very high on him (14th on his overall list), so if Bills think the same, I will be on board.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the Bills would take McDuffie. He is gonna go later than the talking heads think. 

Gordon > McDuffie.

I admit I haven't watched much of McDuffie or Gordon, but the reports I have read project him as a Slot CB. The ones I have read about Gordon project him on the outside.

9 minutes ago, H2o said:

I admit I haven't watched much of McDuffie or Gordon, but the reports I have read project him as a Slot CB. The ones I have read about Gordon project him on the outside.

I think McDuffie would be an elite slot. On the outside he is a scrappy player. And I mean scrappy in a good way, he competes his tail off. It is just that as well as the obvious concerns about length and size I have a bit of a concern about technique which in some places can get a bit sloppy because he is almost too active. He plays 100 mph on every play and at times that could get him into trouble against some of the NFL's savvier route runners. 

I think he can be a really good zone corner. He is probably more ready to start day 1 than Kyler Gordon. But I think McDuffie's ceiling as an outside corner is good starter (he could be elite in the slot), Gordon's is elite talent on the outside.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nakobe Dean was my choice.  Bona fide football player and tackling machine.  

I've read numerous comparisons to a Jessie Tuggle type of linebacker based on his size and play, and that'd be incredible to have.   

• Like (+1) 2

Trade out and get Tariq Woolen (CB UTSA) and George Pickens (WR Georgia) in second, Leon O'Neal (S T A/M) could be available with the right moves. Kyler Gordan should be there in the second also. Build for the future with plug/play rookies.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Nakobe Dean was my choice.  Bona fide football player and tackling machine.  

I've read numerous comparisons to a Jessie Tuggle type of linebacker based on his size and play, and that'd be incredible to have.   

Yeah, if Dean is there, it would be really tough for me as a GM to pass him up. One of my favorite players in the draft.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Logic said:

I voted McDuffie, but man it’s hard not to want Karlaftis or Wyatt. Obviously, our free agency moves and depth chart make both of them seem like unwise selections.

Ideally I’d like to see us draft McDuffie and sign Gilmore in FA. That should solve any issues at corner. 

1 hour ago, 27yanks said:

Trade out and get Tariq Woolen (CB UTSA) and George Pickens (WR Georgia) in second, Leon O'Neal (S T A/M) could be available with the right moves. Kyler Gordan should be there in the second also. Build for the future with plug/play rookies.

I think Woolen is a very interesting prospect, but he is raw and going to take a minute, especially in a scheme like ours.

McDuffie already does all of the things he would be asked to do in this defense at a high level and his instincts are off the charts. His football iQ is crazy good. McDuffie could help get us to the Super Bowl this year. I like Gordon's projection for us as well.  Woolen may be better in a few years, but it's boom or bust. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think McDuffie would be an elite slot. On the outside he is a scrappy player. And I mean scrappy in a good way, he competes his tail off. It is just that as well as the obvious concerns about length and size I have a bit of a concern about technique which in some places can get a bit sloppy because he is almost too active. He plays 100 mph on every play and at times that could get him into trouble against some of the NFL's savvier route runners. 

I think he can be a really good zone corner. He is probably more ready to start day 1 than Kyler Gordon. But I think McDuffie's ceiling as an outside corner is good starter (he could be elite in the slot), Gordon's is elite talent on the outside.  

I always respect you takes. I just love McDuffie. He's one of my draft crushes this year. I just see so many things he does that project so well into what we do. McDuffie seems like the anti Levi Wallace. He was slow and smooth, kinda let the game develop, but it was too slow. I think you can slow McDuffie down a bit as he processes things, and while he may not be a great fit for everyone, I feel like he is for us. His recognition of route combinations and film work I think is the thing that will allow him to keep up with those savvy guys. 

But I feel you on Gordon as well. I really like him too and I am interested to see the order in which the corners go. As long as we don't draft a IOL, right tackle or running back in the first round, I think I will be satisfied. 

34 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I always respect you takes. I just love McDuffie. He's one of my draft crushes this year. I just see so many things he does that project so well into what we do. McDuffie seems like the anti Levi Wallace. He was slow and smooth, kinda let the game develop, but it was too slow. I think you can slow McDuffie down a bit as he processes things, and while he may not be a great fit for everyone, I feel like he is for us. His recognition of route combinations and film work I think is the thing that will allow him to keep up with those savvy guys. 

But I feel you on Gordon as well. I really like him too and I am interested to see the order in which the corners go. As long as we don't draft a IOL, right tackle or running back in the first round, I think I will be satisfied. 

I wouldn't be upset with McDuffie. But I do think he is someone the draft media are likely a bit higher on him than the NFL will be. I might be wrong of course, but that is my instinct. Teven Jenkins was that guy last year and he fell out of round 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 27yanks said:

G Pickens was already gone in the first in this mock draft.  Would have liked him in the first if he was available (as pretty much the 6th WR to take).  Certainly can't count on Pickens to be available in the 2nd.

Would love the K Gordon pick in the 2nd, once again, if available.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.