Drafting a Safety this year might be a luxury pick, but these two players might be worth it:

Special K

Links:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/verone-mckinley-iiI/32004d43-4b42-9926-d001-90026a32892c

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nick-cross/32004352-4f45-3765-23e6-2cd9c4c4be6

Verone McKinley III S Oregon

Productive safety who will create a classic matchup pitting the traits versus the tape. In one corner we have an undersized, short-armed safety with average speed. In the other corner we have game tape highlighting McKinley's instincts, short-area quickness, aggressive demeanor and nose for making plays on the football. He's going to give way to some of the bigger bodies he'll encounter in the NFL, but he's a natural football player with an above-average feel for timing and angles. The traits could impact his draft slotting, but McKinley has the talent to make plays as a nickel safety.

Nick Cross S Maryland

Cross operated as the bouncer of the Maryland defense, playing with the aggression and explosiveness to throw opponents out of the club. He is a chase player who seeks to make a statement upon impact and has impressive stopping power near the line or as an open-field tackler. He's a tight-hipped, linear mover, so flipping and flying are not his strong suit. He's capable of matching with most flavors of tight end and will be most comfortable in coverages that allow him to play with a downhill trigger. He has the temperament, size and toughness to become an eventual starter in the league.

With the safeties the Bills have now, it would allow these guys a year or two to develop, and be an eventual replacement for Hyde or Poyer. I'm pretty sure the Bills have met with Cross, so don't be surprised if the Bills draft a safety in the mid rounds.

What do you think??

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills already have an undersized safety with limited athleticism on the roster in Jaquan Johnson.  I don't see much point in drafting another one.  I could see drafting a guy that they might develop into an eventual starter, even if they have a guy like that on the roster, assuming he's the best player available.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The Bills already have an undersized safety with limited athleticism on the roster in Jaquan Johnson.  I don't see much point in drafting another one.  I could see drafting a guy that they might develop into an eventual starter, even if they have a guy like that on the roster, assuming he's the best player available.

I was leaning more towards Cross, because he does have the size and athleticism you need to play the position in the NFL....the Bills have met with him, so he is a name to watch for sure.

• Agree 1

I like Cross a lot, he seems like a McDermott type of guy. And while they have two awesome safeties, they will have to consider upgrades ready to go at some point. Jaquan Johnson becomes a free agent after this year so it makes sense to refill the depth. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No one is talking about it but there’s been very little extension talk for our best defensive player last year Jordan Poyer. Heading into the final year of his contract. 

Safety is not a luxury pick.

Plus our safeties are no spring chickens. They are vital to our current SB run, but finding a young safety or two is a good idea. A little time to groom. Not a luxury pick at all.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like Cross a lot, he seems like a McDermott type of guy. And while they have two awesome safeties, they will have to consider upgrades ready to go at some point. Jaquan Johnson becomes a free agent after this year so it makes sense to refill the depth. 

I agree that you're always looking for players to fill the back end of a roster.  I don't think Jaquan Johnson is ever going to start for the Bills.  He'll always be a depth player and special teamer.  If you find you need a safety and you're in the second half of the draft, the best player you can get for your needs might be an undersized safety with limited athleticism, but great instinct and football intelligence.  I don't know that you want to draft that guy the year before you need him.  If you're drafting a late round safety this year to fill an anticipated vacancy next year, I think you're better off looking more at physical traits and potential, as long as the player has a great attitude and appears to be able to learn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I agree that you're always looking for players to fill the back end of a roster.  I don't think Jaquan Johnson is ever going to start for the Bills.  He'll always be a depth player and special teamer.  If you find you need a safety and you're in the second half of the draft, the best player you can get for your needs might be an undersized safety with limited athleticism, but great instinct and football intelligence.  I don't know that you want to draft that guy the year before you need him.  If you're drafting a late round safety this year to fill an anticipated vacancy next year, I think you're better off looking more at physical traits and potential, as long as the player has a great attitude and appears to be able to learn.

Agreed. I also like taking former corners and making them safeties. Hyde and Poyer were both corners drafted in the 5th and 7th respectively. Both guys slow corners with great instincts and football intelligence. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Plus our safeties are no spring chickens. They are vital to our current SB run, but finding a young safety or two is a good idea. A little time to groom. Not a luxury pick at all.

Yall want to grab some mid-late round safety help.. have at it, but our top 3 picks better be guys who play this year as a starter or rotational piece.   

Zero interest in drafting more guys with premium picks that are healthy scratches. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yall want to grab some mid-late round safety help.. have at it, but our top 3 picks better be guys who play this year as a starter or rotational piece.   

Zero interest in drafting more guys with premium picks that are healthy scratches. 

I'm just glad we're in a position to not have to count on rookies to win now. If they contribute mightily 1st year, great, but Beane has us in a position where we can still build for the future. Near future. Just like our de picks last year.

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

A safety would be a great big nickel/big dime player and not a healthy scratch 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I remember this talk last year.   Those who wanted to draft JOK to be our 'big nickel' in the first round.

Question:  is "big" a critical component of big nickel?  If so, how often is he on the field.  And if so, does that rule out short armed Safeties with stiff hips (McKinley)?

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Could be a bit nickel. But Taron Johnson has done so well with tackling he’s kinda reduced the need for a big nickel. 

McDermott takes it slow with rookies, and a later rounder safery isn’t likely to have a big role early. More like a situational use that could potential grow as the season progresses. 

33 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The Bills aren't in a BPA position this year.  They have a serious hole to fill at CB.  That's got to be where they put their money.

I don’t think Beane is done. I’m sure he has floated offers to multiple vet cb’s and the cb’s are looking to see if they can find a better offer elsewhere, with us being a fall back. Either way, I imagine before the draft Beane brings in a cb who could realistically starts across from Dane to open the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to see how it goes but if Brisker falls a bit he could be a guy and of Rd 2 or R 3 buffalo trades up for.  I believe Buffalo drafts an extra guy on day one or 2.   Either 2 first rders and another day 2 pick or 1 first rder but 3 guys day 2.  They need quality at spots but not really alot of depth.  I think a few lineman day 3 and its a wrap. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No one is talking about it but there’s been very little extension talk for our best defensive player last year Jordan Poyer. Heading into the final year of his contract. 

Safety is not a luxury pick.

Agreed.  Currently,  both Poyer and Hyde have salary cap hits of 11 M and 8M this year.  I can't see this team go to next year with that kind of cap hit (by extending Poyer).   They will have to use that money to pay Digss, Knox,  Edmunds

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.