Chad Hall at Ohio State pro day

YoloinOhio

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Says who?  Disaster awaits if you start Dane and a rookie who isn’t ready for the NFL.  Everyone will be complaining that they “could not even get one stop to win the game”.

Beyond Safety if White is missing, the CB spot, as currently manned, is by far the worst position on the team- and it is a premium position.

Disagree - does not mean I am right or that you are wrong.

I think you should take into account that McD runs a cb friendly defense and if there is one area where the coaching staff has shown itself able to coach up talent, its defensive backs. They can find someone they can work with in the second. There are five or six top end wrs coming out. Unlike in the old days, wrs are coming into the league more skilled, or at least developed for the contemporary NFL game. The game is changed. We need to get one on a rookie contract and match the arms race that the AFC has suddenly become. If it keeps a top level talent from the Chiefs, that's a plus.

Just now, whorlnut said:

No offense, but I can sort of expect a response like this from someone a little longer in the tooth. This isn’t the old days anymore. This is a passing league and we need to make sure we continue to have that as a strength going forward. We have a ton of one year deals on offense and need to develop and build some continuity to make sure this is sustainable. 

Another poster brought it up that it appears the staff is higher on Jackson that some of us fans are. He’s right. The Bills thought about corner in the second round last year and decided that none of them could beat out who they took the year before in the seventh. I believe in mcd’s ability to develop DBs. 

Hey, I resemble that tooth thing . . . 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really want to hear the overall plan for those who dont want a corner at 25

I know ppl like their shiny new toys but this is not about that.....we have a 17 game schedule and NO starting corner at the moment

Dude, do you know a coaching staff who coaches up corners better than the Bills?  Their scheme doesn't rely upon "lockdown" corners either.  It's clear they want a dominant front and they will scheme the secondary around that.

Get a stud WR in the 1st, then get DBs later in the draft (and a vet FA).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I think you should take into account that McD runs a cb friendly defense and if there is one area where the coaching staff has shown itself able to coach up talent, its defensive backs. They can find someone they can work with in the second. There are five or six top end wrs coming out. Unlike in the old days, wrs are coming into the league more skilled, or at least developed for the contemporary NFL game. The game is changed. We need to get one on a rookie contract and match the arms race that the AFC has suddenly become. If it keeps a top level talent from the Chiefs, that's a plus.

Hey, I resemble that tooth thing . . . 

So do I…haha. But the difference is I’m not stuck in 1970 like some other people. Haha. Totally agree with you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Dude, do you know a coaching staff who coaches up corners better than the Bills?  Their scheme doesn't rely upon "lockdown" corners either.  It's clear they want a dominant front and they will scheme the secondary around that.

McDermott followed up the panthers SB appearance by starting 2 rookie Corners. I really think he might draft one, start him across from Dane,  and ride things out until Tre is back. He also started Tre from day 1.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

McDermott followed up the panthers SB appearance by starting 2 rookie Corners. I really think he might draft one, start him across from Dane,  and ride things out until Tre is back. He also started Tre from day 1.

I’m sure he will draft one. The argument is whether it needs to be at 25 or not. eBall is right…McD can coach any db up and make him really good. We had an undrafted FA and a seventh rounder splitting time last year. Common sense would tell us that a second round corner could be an upgrade. 

13 minutes ago, eball said:

I will feel a whole lot better when I see that vet free agent

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Just curious - what kind of return would we get for trading Stefon Diggs?  Not that I'm a proponent of that, but given the Hill news today it got me thinking about it.  Trade Diggs and, assuming a 1st round pick is part of the deal, draft his replacement, use the other 1st round pick on a CB, another receiver or Breece Hall.  Would set the Bills up for a good 4-5 year run with young cheap playmakers for Allen.  And frees up money to refresh other areas of the team.

In theory a nice concept, but…, ya gotta be damn sure you’ve got all your ducks in a row before you squeeze that trigger, also consider the number of first round picks that don’t pan out they way teams thought they might,   TH might just sit on his rep now that he’s been paid, wouldn’t be the first time a player relaxed his output under such circumstances. Just sayin,

22 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Says who?  Disaster awaits if you start Dane and a rookie who isn’t ready for the NFL.  Everyone will be complaining that they “could not even get one stop to win the game”.

Beyond Safety if White is missing, the CB spot, as currently manned, is by far the worst position on the team- and it is a premium position.

Disagree - does not mean I am right or that you are wrong.

you realize we played several weeks including the playoffs last year with Dane Jackson and a player we didn’t feel was worth $4 million/ year starting right?

Poyer and Hyde help a lot in making things easier for cornerbacks in our system. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Garrett Wilson won't be there. I don't even think we can trade up high enough to sniff him. Olave could be, maybe. Fingers crossed on QB's going higher than expected, Treyvon Burks going before him, and maybe one or two of the WR's expected to go after him to be selected above him.

Jahan Dotson. Best hands in the draft. Good route runner. Isn’t afraid of traffic. 4.4 speed. 

2 minutes ago, LEBills said:

you realize we played several weeks including the playoffs last year with Dane Jackson and a player we didn’t feel was worth $4 million/ year starting right?

Poyer and Hyde help a lot in making things easier for cornerbacks in our system. 

This. I honestly can’t see another first round corner opposite Tre. It’s not how McD operates. He always has had an elite cover guy and then another that he develops and makes into a very competent player. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Neither is there at #25, though Olave could be close. Don't want to see KC go up and grab him.

No proof, but I've got a hunch that they want Jameson Williams now. Wouldn't like that at all, but I'd get over it quickly if Olave goes to the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't see any way the top WRs like Olave and Williams and Wilson make it to our pick at 25. I mean if one of them does I'd be shocked if they weren't the pick, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I could see Olave. Williams and especially Wilson, no. London, Wilson, Williams will def be gone. But it wouldn't shock me if Treyvon Burks went before him and perhaps another surprise WR, as Dotson and Watson have been getting a lot of buzz as of late.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, LEBills said:

From where we are drafting the second and third round is where the value will be for corner IMO. Though us fans see CB2 as a big need, I think the Bills are comfortable with Dane Jackson holding a position at least temporarily. 

We may go CB in round 1 but I would say WR has just as good odds with RB and OL with slightly lesser odds. 

With Tre coming off a major injury it is more like CB 1 until proven differently

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

With Tre coming off a major injury it is more like CB 1 until proven differently

Disagree. You don’t use your first rounder to hold it down for the first month or so. That’s horrible. Besides, an ACL is a 6-9 month injury these days and that would put Tre back to start the season.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Just curious - what kind of return would we get for trading Stefon Diggs?  Not that I'm a proponent of that, but given the Hill news today it got me thinking about it.  Trade Diggs and, assuming a 1st round pick is part of the deal, draft his replacement, use the other 1st round pick on a CB, another receiver or Breece Hall.  Would set the Bills up for a good 4-5 year run with young cheap playmakers for Allen.  And frees up money to refresh other areas of the team.

I see where you're going with this, but Diggs is a bird in the hand. Gels well with Allen/ Buffalo. Will probably be cool with a re-structured deal. Don't mess with the Ju Ju. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.