Did anyone go to University but not make any friends there?

Another Fan

I'm gonna guess the answer is probably no but I'll ask the question anyway.

For me I did not.  A combination of commuting to college, large University, immaturity, social anxiety, and course load.

But maybe I'll be surprised what stories people come up with here.  

Yes tons. It was The Culinary Institute in Hyde Park. Classes were small so we were all very close. I still communicate with many via FB and celebrated 40 years as a couple this January and 39 as a married couple this May with one of them. ❤️

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I'm gonna guess the answer is probably no but I'll ask the question anyway.

For me I did not.  A combination of commuting to college, large University, immaturity, social anxiety, and course load.

But maybe I'll be surprised what stories people come up with here.  

Not living in the dorms is key, in my mind. Learning to live with other people and get along may just be more important than anything that happens in a classroom. College is about learning how to grow up first, learning a trade second. 

My wife went away to school her first year. Piano performance major at a stuffy school.  HATED it, came back to school in her home town. Her parents wouldn’t pay for the dorms since it was home town. She got a job at a jewelry store to pay for the dorms. Life can be what you make it. She’s done nothing but rise ever since. 

EDIT: I’m on a text thread with about 8 other college buddies that I hear from almost daily, and another who was the best man in my wedding.  I didn’t LOVE college like some people did, but I can’t complain. 

Edited by Augie

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not living in the dorms is key, in my mind. Learning to live with other people and get along may just be more important than anything that happens in a classroom. College is about learning how to grow up first, learning a trade second. 

Knowing which guys in your dorm had scales to weigh the weed you were selling is also important.  If I heard “hmmm kinda light” one more time…..😡

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Knowing which guys in your dorm had scales to weigh the weed you were selling is also important.  If I heard “hmmm kinda light” one more time…..😡

Live by the “you split, I pick method”. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Went to University of Buffalo and met friends some of which I sustained post college; one of them heard where I was moving to and looked me up.

This included some friends who I met at work at North Buffalo Food Cooperative short distance from UB Main Street Campus.

My major and living arrangements changed a number of times so that resulted in changes in social groups.

Unfortunately that was a long time ago and not in touch with any of them.  Still in touch with some from high school / neighborhood.

• Like (+1) 1

I went to the University of Buffalo but also commuted. I made some friends that I hung out with back then but they weren't friendships that lasted the test of time.  It's definitely a different ball game when you are living on campus for establishing lifelong connections and friendships.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I went to the University of Buffalo but also commuted. I made some friends that I hung out with back then but they weren't friendships that lasted the test of time.  It's definitely a different ball game when you are living on campus for establishing lifelong connections and friendships.

Commuted to Rutgers locally.  I have never particularly had school pride and still don't.

The year I finished was the year they made their first bowl game in football.  They were always pretty bad.  

But even now I still never got into them.  All I do is get aggravated about how they use taxpayer money.  

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2021/09/10/how-rutgers-athletics-debt-uncovered-north-jersey/8259666002/

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I met a lot of people but I really only speak to 3 of them anymore.  Not including my wife. I talk to her a lot. Got her at school too.

Your wife would appreciate it if you would stop talking to her … at least that is what she has said to us … :D 

Made lots of friends in college, didn't talk to most of them after moving away. My randomly assigned freshman year roommate was the best man at my wedding a few years ago though, and I was the best man at his about a year before that. 

Don't have social media so that certainly played a part. I'm also admittedly neither very sentimental nor good at staying in touch with people, reaching out, etc.

I am in a fantasy football league with another friend from college who now lives in Houston, so we chat about football sometime in August leading up to that draft. 

I have a handful of friends from my undergrad years who I stay in touch with, but nobody from grad school. I lived on campus for my master's, but between a full load of classes and a teaching assistantship, I didn't have much time for a social life. For my doctorate, I had a full-time job and commuted to classes (an hour away), so again, no campus social life.

My first semester was pretty brutal. Got a scholarship to Syracuse, which was my dream school growing up and thought it would be amazing. Ended up getting assigned an international roommate who had been on campus for like a month before I got there. By the time I arrived he had his circle of friends already and I basically didn’t see him and just really struggled to make friends by myself.

Finally became friends with my neighbor at the end of that semester and he basically got my social life going. He was one of those guys that could hit it off with anybody and as an introvert, I needed someone like that to kinda pull me out of my comfort zone. By the end of my freshmen year I had a handful of friends and it all kinda blossomed from there.

Ended up meeting my wife the next year when she bought me in a fundraiser auction and I still meet up with a group of like 12 guys from college each year to do a fantasy draft and hang out for a weekend. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.