Breaking: Von Miller to bills, 6 year , 120 million

BillsMafi$

5 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

They don't need anyone's help with that...they do just fine on their own.

Let me simplify the math for you. There is a 0% chance that you need to worry about this.

sarcasm obviously.

dude is going to get 75-80% of snaps in critical games.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

My question, why are voidable years a bargaining chip now? I understand the logic for players on your team you are trying to restructure, but why not just make the contract a 4 year 80 million or something? I really don't understand the logic

Because Von Miller's agent gets to say his guy got a 6 year 120 million contract (even though it's really 3 years 52 million) and the team gets to play salary cap shenanigans. 

Remember when Taysom Hill signed a 4 year 140 million extension?

The salary cap is so easily manipulated it's a bad joke...

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Because Von Miller's agent gets to say his guy got a 6 year 120 million contract (even though it's really 3 years 52 million) and the team gets to play salary cap shenanigans. 

Yeah I guess i get it when it's your own player but in the acquisition I just didn't see a benefit to it.

Edited by Agent 91

2 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

He couldn’t have been recruited by Diggs at the Pro Bowl because he was preparing for the Super Bowl.  So, was Miller one of the defensive players that contacted the Bills?

I think early on a lot of people assumed it was Chandler Jones but began to posit that it was Miller after he signed. Maybe someone in the media will ask him during his official presser.

7 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I still don’t understand that Taysom Hill deal?

36 minutes ago, JoshAllensShorts said:

Not trying to pick fights -- can someone explain to me why this isn't a bad deal? I don't really understand contracts/the salary cap in the NFL. From an outside perspective this seems like a huge commitment to a declining (but still good) vet.

We fightin, you stole my avatar.

24 minutes ago, JoshAllensShorts said:

Not trying to pick fights -- can someone explain to me why this isn't a bad deal? I don't really understand contracts/the salary cap in the NFL. From an outside perspective this seems like a huge commitment to a declining (but still good) vet.

The Rams gave up a second round pick, third rounder last season to Denver to trade for Von Miller...for one season!

He was a free agent at the end of last season. He played eight games in LA last year.

The Rams desperately wanted him back in LA too. The entire team was calling him and begging him to stay, including the HC. 

(On a side note Denver gave that 2nd to Seattle in a trade for Russell Wilson)

Forget the money...its not our money! Who shives a git about the contact? Buffalo gave up no picks! 

The guy is a premier pass rusher... in the likes of a Bruce Smith. As someone else mentioned Reggie White went to GB at the same age and helped them to a SB! 

The man has had more sacks the last few years over anyone. To tired to dig up the #s.

This player could very well push Buffalo to the SB this season.

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The Rams gave up a second round pick, third rounder last season to Denver to trade for Von Miller...for one season!

He was a free agent at the end of last season. He played eight games in LA last year.

The Rams desperately wanted him back in LA too. The entire team was calling him and begging him to stay, including the HC. 

(On a side note Denver gave that 2nd to Seattle in a trade for Russell Wilson)

Forget the money...its not our money! Who shives a git about the contact? Buffalo gave up no picks! 

The guy is a premier pass rusher... in the likes of a Bruce Smith. As someone else mentioned Reggie White went to GB at the same age and helped them to a SB! 

The man has had more sacks the last few years over anyone. To tired to dig up the #s.

This player could very well push Buffalo to the SB this season.

He had 4 sacks in the postseason that ended a litte over a month ago. 2 in the Super Bowl.  He dominated against Arizona and I think he forced a fumble against Brady. 

Not sure why I should expect that production to decrease at all once the season starts in 6 months.  

Edited by Big Blitz

38 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

NFL contracts arent guaranteed. Most of the time when players sign big, long term deals like this, they never see the entire thing.

As details come out, we find that this contract has $32M guaranteed at signing, and a total $52M guaranteed (of the so called  "$120M").

So if we break it down, it turns out we can get out of the contract after 3 or 4 years. It's essentially a 3 year/$52M contract, or 4 year/$70M contract. $17M/yr for a premier pass rusher is about right.

It's still a lot to spend on a guy who has played several years.  But in this case, there are other factors. He will play fewer snaps in Buffalo, which may extend his career.  He has truly special talent.  He's one of a dozen guys or so who can change any game with a play or two.  He hasn't shown much sign of s,owing down. Last season, Ata position of importance, he clearly was better than anyone the Bills had.  He's won two Super Bowls and was the clear MVP in one.  There's just so much that he offers that it's a good move even if he's pricey.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Shaw66 said:

It's still a lot to spend on a guy who has played several years.  But in this case, there are other factors. He will play fewer snaps in Buffalo, which may extend his career.  He has truly special talent.  He's one of a dozen guys or so who can change any game with a play or two.  He hasn't shown much sign of s,owing down. Last season, Ata position of importance, he clearly was better than anyone the Bills had.  He's won two Super Bowls and was the clear MVP in one.  There's just so much that he offers that it's a good move even if he's pricey.  

Agreed.

The fact that he had an astounding 82 pressures last year points to him still having plenty of juice.

Rams reporters pointed out that his presence on the team really helped free up Aaron Donald to make more plays. The offense can’t double everybody! I’m hoping Miller’s presence here has the same effect on Ed Oliver.

An underrated bonus of signing Miller is that he’s known to be a very generous teacher of younger players. He hosts his own pass rush summit every offseason. If the Bills get 1-3 good years out of Miller AND his tutelage helps our trio of youngsters take major steps forward, the big contract will be WELL worth it!

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

Yeah I guess i get it when it's your own player but in the acquisition I just didn't see a benefit to it.

A longer contract lets the team spread the bonus hit over 5 years, and reduce THIS season's salary cap, when it matters more. Then they get to restructure down the line and make more of the salary a bonus,  since he has a sixth year.   It gives him and his agent a big number to publicize, as well. Since I don't know his deal with the agent, I won't speculate on if this makes the agent more $$ up front.

Basically, it probably be MORE expensive to make it a shorter deal, even if you could get the player to agree to it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.