Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Browns have the cap space to let Mayfield sit out.  They ain’t trading him to the AFC.  The dude is like a little troll that feeds off resentment.  They’ll want him in NFC.  

I honestly don’t think it’ll really matter to them.  If the Browns don’t think he’s good enough for them, then they aren’t going to worry about him being on an AFC team - especially a non-division one.  They gotta get through some combination of Burrow, Lamar, Allen, Mahomes, Wilson, Hebert, Carr and who knows who else.  He’d be way down the list even if he was on a good team like Indy.

I am sure they will use it as a bargaining chip for AFC teams though.  Indy would have to way overpay.  The reports of Colts interest in other QBs that are suddenly popping up makes me think they are interested in Mayfield.  Or perhaps it’s Mariota.  But I expect them to at least try to make a move soon. 

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I honestly don’t think it’ll really matter to them.  If the Browns don’t think he’s good enough for them, then they aren’t going to worry about him being on an AFC team - especially a non-division one.  They gotta get through some combination of Burrow, Lamar, Allen, Mahomes, Wilson, Hebert, Carr and who knows who else.  He’d be way down the list even if he was on a good team like Indy.

I am sure they will use it as a bargaining chip for AFC teams though.  Indy would have to way overpay.  The reports of Colts interest in other QBs that are suddenly popping up makes me think they are interested in Mayfield.  Or perhaps it’s Mariota.  But I expect them to at least try to make a move soon. 

Colts with Mayfield at QB no better than Browns with Mayfield…in other words, Who cares?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

He's not a free agent. He is signed for over 18 million for next year because the Browns exercised an option last spring.

True..

QB1 doors slammed this week in Cleveland, Atlanta, Indy, New Orleans...  All eyes turn toward Seattle...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wjag said:

True..

QB1 doors slammed this week in Cleveland, Atlanta, Indy, New Orleans...  All eyes turn toward Seattle...

With basically no bidders (except Seattle and maybe some unknown team), and only on a 1year deal, what is his trade value? a 3rd?

I almost always forget about Panthers. I guess they could be involved too.

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

ATL and NO now off the table. 

Yep..  The downfall of Baker is stunning...  Has a number 1 overdraft pick/Heisman Trophy winner ever fallen off so far, so fast?  Today alone he lost positional ground to Mariota, Ryan and Winston..

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Well, do we know what Cleveland's asking price is for in a trade?

My guess is they're in desperate need of first round picks..  Seems like they're down a few for the next few years.

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

With the risk of Watson being suspended for a period, a lot of QB1s coming off the table and the Browns trading Keenum to the Bills, are they pricing Mayfield out of the market with the aim that he'll cover the suspension period?

Can they afford Watson (44,965,000: signing bonus + 1,000,000 dirty salary), Mayfield (19,000,000 year 5) and Brissett (5,000,000) = $69M?  Intriguing idea though.   

So Baker, how about you chill for six or so games and then we'll ship you out to say, Detroit, for a few firsts?  You good with that?

1 hour ago, qwksilver said:

With basically no bidders (except Seattle and maybe some unknown team), and only on a 1year deal, what is his trade value? a 3rd?

I almost always forget about Panthers. I guess they could be involved too.

I have a feeling the panthers might balk. Not saying they won’t be forced to do it because of lack of other options - but their OC is Ben mcadoo and he didn’t like baker at all during the 2018 Draft  when he was HC of NYG. He ranked mayfield 6th QB in the class (Allen 1st)

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/07/ben_mcadoo_had_baker_mayfield.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Browns might have to compensate a team to take Baker and his 18.5 Million Dollar contract.  Seems like it is down to 2 teams … Seattle and Carolina maybe Detroit.  Pretty expensive for a backup QB if it ends up that way.  Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Cleveland can’t complete the Watson trade until they trade or cut Mayfield. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.