Haack restructures contract

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Was it a restructure or a new contract?

Technically, according to the CBA, any restructure is a new contract. In this case it's a new contract for less money and the removal of the guaranteed portion. He's basically now getting league minimum and most likely going to have to compete for his job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whaat?  Why?

They reduced his cap hit and he has no guaranteed money so when they do cut him there is no hangover.  Still have to find his replacement before cutting him

13 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Expected points added per play.

what a weird metric to judge a punter by... 

Damn, we’re not gonna waste a draft pick on a punter…, 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Punters impact field position, which isn’t difficult to translate to EPA/p.

Maybe... I still find that to be a stretch.. 

To me I would measure a punters success how often he was able to drop it inside the 20 when in range and then for punts in general average hang time / Yards Per Punt keeping in mind how many times the punter had a short field when punting.

3 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Guy is legit terrible....

I don't understand these statistics - they smell of Frankenstats to me - but I'm guessing that having a punt blocked, and especially a punt blocked and returned for a score, has a huge impact.  And since Haack isn't the one who whiffed on the block leading to the score, there's an argument to be made that it isn't entirely fair on him.

However, in the entirely objective metric "yards per punt", Haack is 32nd in the league at 42.9 y/p.  There were 3 punters below him - Harvin of Steelers, Pinion of Tampa, and Charlton of Car and Jax.  Only 6 punters had punts blocked - Jake Bailey of NWE had 3, 5 other punters (including Haack) had 1.

So that's still bad.

Bojo, btw, was mediocre at 15th

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Yuck!  could someone explain why we are bringing this guy back?

Nothing to worry about here.   He's just going to be a training camp leg.  He can mentor a rookie punter and then be cut at the end of camp, with no guaranteed money or salary cap over hang.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Damn, we’re not gonna waste a draft pick on a punter…, 

I think we might draft a P late, and bring in a FA leg for competition... Also lots of UDFA P to choose from...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Punters impact field position, which isn’t difficult to translate to EPA/p.

I mean, I'm sure it can be done, but in the case of a punt, it impacts the OTHER team's field position the most - rendering the connection to expected points ADDED per punt of necessity, indirect.  It will be filtered through the team's defense and the other team's ST.

Unless, of course, there's a blocked punt returned for a score, in which case the connection is direct and immediate.

Not so?

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why would the worst punter in the league be your fallback plan? Bring in someone else.

I guess I should re-word it worst case scenario. I will say Haack didn't seem terrible in the playoffs, but an upgrade is needed there. 

1 hour ago, JK Fan said:

I missed that.

Fell under the radar. It was one of Joe Schoen's first moves when he also grabbed Antonio Williams. 

Haack tried to lose several games last year, actually succeeded once, and was due for guaranteed money to lock in soon as I understand it. If the new deal is indeed a one-year “prove-it” with no cap ramification then it’s obviously a good move.

26 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Nothing to worry about here.   He's just going to be a training camp leg.  He can mentor a rookie punter and then be cut at the end of camp, with no guaranteed money or salary cap over hang.   

Yes I saw later the part of no guarantee money

31 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Thank you for being a valued poster here. Can’t wait to have further statistical analysis with you. I’m glad there are still posters like you around. 

I appreciate that.  Thanks.  And I certainly enjoy you and other posters who like to do this sort of thing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.