Haack restructures contract

YoloinOhio

I get the guy wasn't good last year. But cutting him without a replacement seems unnecessary.

We always go into training camp with 2 punters out of 90 players. One of this year's punters will be the same one who was here all last year. Who, outside of $100,000 in total roster/workout bonus, just agreed to eliminate his guaranteed salary and to accept the minimum salary for a 5 year player.

Previously, we would have had to cut him before March 19 in order to avoid his guarantee kicking in. That would have saved us $1.2 mil while leaving $700,000 in dead cap. We still get the dead cap by cutting him later. Nothing can help that. But under this new deal, we've already saved $415,000 of that $1.2 mil. And we can still save the rest of it, but with the luxury of not having to cut Haack until we want to - any time up to the 53 man roster cut down in September.

So let's review-

Before-

--$1.0 mil guaranteed salary if not cut by March 19

--$275,000 roster bonus March 19 + $25,000 workout bonus = $300,000 also basically guaranteed since it's paid on March 19 also.

--$1.2 mil (cap) savings if cut before March 19.

--Cutting him before March 19 would leave us with no punter/holder, needing 2 new, unfamiliar, outsider punters/holders to head into camp.

After-

--Nothing guaranteed except $100,000 roster/workout bonus

--Base salary is minimum allowed for 5 year player. Again, Haack is now on a minimum salary + $100,000 bonus deal with no guarantees or any kind of penalty for cutting him at any time through the off season instead of by March 19.

--Already saved $415,000 of the $1.2 million cutting him before March 19th would have saved.

--Get to go into camp with one of our 2 punters/holders as the same one we had all last year. Can still save the rest of that $1.2 million by cutting him any time (actually $1.55 million if cut after June 1st).

I get a lot of you just want him gone. Our GM disagreed and has decided to keep last year's punter for continuity, camp competition/ camp body, etc., until such time we are sure we have someone better. Having made that decision, outside of $100,000 in bonuses (down from $300,000), while eliminating salary guarantees and deadlines, he couldn't have gotten Haack on a better team friendly deal.

I know it's a free country and all. But if I'[m gonna spend any of my time complaining about any of Beane's contracts, this ain't one of them.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I get where you're coming from and I know a kicker needs a holder he is comfortable with.  Find a new punter who can hold and is an upgrade at punter.  Get a million reps in before the regular season and Bass should be fine.  I've never heard of sacrificing punting because a guy holds the ball well.  It's bizarre. 

I fully agree that an upgrade at punter while also having someone that can hold at an effective level is the solution here. But Haack is not a bad fall back option if the draft doesn't pan out and the free agent punters aren't out performing Haack. Haack is a below average punter but at least he bring something else highly positive to the table outside of punting. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.