Kumerow signed to 1 year deal

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, Process said:

I just randomly looked up Jones stats after seeing this. He has 223 career rushing yards over 11 seasons. 

That's pretty incredible. 

Guy hung around 11 years as a special teamer/reserve RB.

and killed the Bills in the wildcard gme in Houston with that thrid and long reception that Milano was late getting to over the middle...hmm..the middle...coverage..issue...plus Jones was hurt a lot last season, his 2M+ is going to be used elsewhere

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I’m sure they have a plan and can pay for everything, I just don’t think Kumerow is value.

They will need to sign a depth player like this either way - whether it is him or someone else. Might as well sign the guy who already knows the ST scheme and offense. I’m not sure why he’s considered pricier than another player. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ok people. I can't believe we are hearing people quibble about hiring a depth piece who has some value on special teams.

If, God forbid, we lose Diggs to injury our current passing targets are Davis, Knox and Beasley (who is shopping for a trade)

JK is not my first choice for a WR. But right now he looks like our fifth best passing target in a passing league. I expect that to change in the draft but let's not create a need that we need to reach on.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well if it's $2.5M-$3M aav..........then after deducting the league minimum that will reduce their cap space by around $2M.      I would expect the Bills will be shopping around actual starting jobs to veteran CB's and DT's for around $5M aav.........crying poor.........so anything over league minimum for Kumerow might be the difference between getting a good veteran at those positions or not.

You are making the exact unfounded assumption I was referring to. Kumerow made the most he ever had for a season in 2021.  He made $920k.  I expect he won’t be making much more this season IF he even makes the team.  I also expect zero (or very close to zero) guaranteed money.  If that’s incorrect and his pay jumps to triple last year’s salary, then we can all complain.  But there’s no reason to think that will be the case. 

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't mind the Kumerow signing, but I would agree that with Neal/Kumerow, it's a legit argument to wonder why Matakevich/Jones are still on the roster.   

I don't know if I mind it or not...........I actually assumed he would be back...........I just know that if the signing happened in May it would be for the league minimum and not impact the Bills available cap space.

Right now.........the timing would indicate that it is a priority re-sign..........more money and more impact on available cap space.

The run-it back...........overpay a bad punter on a long term deal and then a few guys for around league minimum........approach to free agency last offseason didn't address their limited but ultimately impactful shortcomings this past season.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Punts and kickoffs can't be dispensed with soon enough.

All they do is keep non-players.......like Haack, Kumerow, Matakevich and Taiwan...........employed while giving us extra tv timeouts after touchbacks, fair catches and balls rolling to a stop while the clock runs.

You realize these changes will force a name change for the game, right?

The National Oblong-PointyBall League😲

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They will need to sign a depth player like this either way - whether it is him or someone else. Might as well sign the guy who already knows the ST scheme and offense. I’m not sure why he’s considered pricier than another player. 

They’ll be thin at wideout if Sanders retires and Beasley leaves so while Kumerow makes sense position-wise if I’m GM I’d rather save cap space there…special teams contributions don’t really move the needle for me.

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You are making the exact unfounded assumption I was referring to. Kumerow made the most he ever had for a season in 2021.  He made $920k.  I expect he won’t be making much more this season IF he even makes the team.  I also expect zero (or very close to zero) guaranteed money.  If that’s incorrect and his pay jumps to triple last year’s salary, then we can all complain.  But there’s no reason to think that will be the case. 

You feel certain he's getting $1M.........if that's the case that's fine..........I think the timing of the signing suggests more.

I didn't like the Siran Neal deal either.......but at least with Neal I think there is a possibility of more of a role on defense.   Kumerow is like 30.   He is all that he is likely to ever be now.

I know these guys are good ST'ers but they have 9 picks in the upcoming draft.........probably the most athletic group of players ever to enter the league........they will be able to grab special teamers and coach them up...............but if they are paying just $2M above league average for 4 ST'ers this season that $8M limits their ability to add a difference maker on the offensive or defensive side of the ball.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That is irrelevant.........the cap was lowered for all teams.

It’s not irrelevant at all.

The Bills have been right up against the cap for two off seasons now. Putting the cap back where it was pre-Covid would have the Bills about $20M under the cap the past two off seasons instead of right up against it. Two straight off seasons being $20M under the cap is not what I’d consider cap mismanagement.

Yes, all teams faced the same thing, but clearly Beane’s cap planning for 2020 and 2021 didn’t factor in a $20M cap reduction. Without it, the Bills would’ve had a lot more space to maneuver the past couple years. To say that it doesn’t factor in or isn’t relevant to the Bills’ cap situation is illogical. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

You realize these changes will force a name change for the game, right?

The National Oblong-PointyBall League😲

If we are being geometrically literal It would be called the National Prolate Spheroid League..😀

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsDiehard said:

We freed up cap space to resign a special teamer!? We love retreads! How about we take that and apply it to signing a decent O-lineman? Geez!

Agree 100% !!! 

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You feel certain he's getting $1M.........if that's the case that's fine..........I think the timing of the signing suggests more.

I didn't like the Siran Neal deal either.......but at least with Neal I think there is a possibility of more of a role on defense.   Kumerow is like 30.   He is all that he is likely to ever be now.

I know these guys are good ST'ers but they have 9 picks in the upcoming draft.........probably the most athletic group of players ever to enter the league........they will be able to grab special teamers and coach them up...............but if they are paying just $2M above league average for 4 ST'ers this season that $8M limits their ability to add a difference maker on the offensive or defensive side of the ball.    

The minimum for a vet with four accrued years is $1.035M.  I expect that to be his contract.  I do not believe that he is eligible for a VSB cap credit because he wasn’t with us for those four years. 

If his contract is a lot bigger than that, then that’s a different story. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So your contention is that this signing will facilitate the acquisition of more above average players at important positions, in a year with limited cap space. Got it.

I kinda feel sorry for you, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

It’s not irrelevant at all.

The Bills have been right up against the cap for two off seasons now. Putting the cap back where it was pre-Covid would have the Bills about $20M under the cap the past two off seasons instead of right up against it. Two straight off seasons being $20M under the cap is not what I’d consider cap mismanagement.

Yes, all teams faced the same thing, but clearly Beane’s cap planning for 2020 and 2021 didn’t factor in a $20M cap reduction. Without it, the Bills would’ve had a lot more space to maneuver the past couple years. To say that it doesn’t factor in or isn’t relevant to the Bills’ cap situation is illogical. 

I know we have some people on here who can't understand the salary cap.............you obviously being one...........but if you add $20M to the available cap space of every team it doesn't alter the Bills buying power relative to the rest of the league.     Salaries would just be higher.

It's not that complicated.

Keep in mind that the "terrible" cap situation that McBeane claimed to inherit was a team with *only* $30M+ in cap space going into the 2017 offseason.    

In a market where the buying power is $20M higher per team..........Beane would be in the exact same position he is now relative to the rest of the league.........it's ridiculous to claim that Beane and the Bills were more adversely affected.  

There is no logic to your line of thinking at all.......which is another example of why I mock your screen name. 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.