Does the strategy change when a team is this close to the SB?

Mikie2times

Kyle Pitts crossed my mind the other day when considering the above. Pitts, from my eye and many others was considered a can't miss once a decade TE. He looked the part at Florida. We had no need to trade draft picks to go after such a player but one could argue that type of elite talent would have been the difference maker in multiple games last season. It was sort of like when Moss went to New England. When you're close the value of an elite player is even more magnified. 

As teams get closer to winning the SB I feel it makes sense to shift resources from building a foundation towards high end talent. Those resources are cap usage and draft picks. We saw this with St Louis but that's not really why I suggest this. More a curiosity if we see the Bills change things up and take this approach. 

It depends on the age of your superstars.

If you have a 25 year old elite QB, you don't mortgage your future on winning short term.

If you have a 35+ or 40+ year old elite QB, the story changes.

There is almost zero chance the Bills should or would mortgage their future for one player.

The Randy Moss trade was for a 4th round pick. At the time, he looked awful and unmotivated on the Raiders. It was just a good trade for NE.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It depends on the age of your superstars.

If you have a 25 year old elite QB, you don't mortgage your future on winning short term.

If you have a 35+ or 40+ year old elite QB, the story changes.

There is almost zero chance the Bills should or would mortgage their future for one player.

The Randy Moss trade was for a 4th round pick. At the time, he looked awful and unmotivated on the Raiders. It was just a good trade for NE.

Amazing what going from an average team to a annual playoff/ super bowl contender can do to someone's motivation. 

20 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

What did St Louis do? 

They moved. I think this is a thinly veiled PSL thread.  Maybe. 

….or something completely different. A plea for another TE?  I really don’t know…… 🤷‍♂️

I say we keep our current course. Make smart moves, draft well, don’t lunge for big splashy names fans recognize. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

A little more aggressive maybe but not to the point where you significantly mortgage the future.  You need a great roster, luck, a coach willing to squib kick it, and a good year health wise to win the Super Bowl.  Putting yourself in the playoffs most years gives you the best chance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The key is term.  If you can bring in a game changer on a high value, SHORT TERM deal, you do it.  It helps both parties - the organization is very close to being able to win it all and the player desperately seeks a ring.  The organization is not cash strapped for the long term and the player can seek fortune elsewhere in the future.  In the short term, both entites "use" each other to try and get the elusive ring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

As teams get closer to winning the SB I feel it makes sense to shift resources from building a foundation towards high end talent. Those resources are cap usage and draft picks.

I see your point, but I also don't think the team should abandon the methodology that got them this close to a SB to begin with.  I don't think I'd allocate more than 10%-to-15% of all available resources to a "big name" guy while using the remaining 85%-to-90% of resources in the usual process way ... making sensible FA deals that work for the both the team and the player, trades, drafting well, etc).  Maybe bring on ONE big name guy who can truly be a difference maker, but otherwise be prudent with remaining resources and do deals that make sense to the team and generally stick to the plan that made you this competitive.
Edit: And I'd want to keep my draft picks, so I'd make sure the resources came from CAP.

Edited by ChasBB
Add content

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Kyle Pitts crossed my mind the other day when considering the above. Pitts, from my eye and many others was considered a can't miss once a decade TE. He looked the part at Florida. We had no need to trade draft picks to go after such a player but one could argue that type of elite talent would have been the difference maker in multiple games last season. It was sort of like when Moss went to New England. When you're close the value of an elite player is even more magnified. 

As teams get closer to winning the SB I feel it makes sense to shift resources from building a foundation towards high end talent. Those resources are cap usage and draft picks. We saw this with St Louis but that's not really why I suggest this. More a curiosity if we see the Bills change things up and take this approach. 

Yes, strategy changes. No, not so much when you're close to the SB.

It changes from the first year or two when you have a ton of holes to when the team matures and you have at least a solid guy at every position.

We have traded draft picks every year. We traded our first for Diggs. But no, you don't trade a lot of high-value picks. Not unless you don't have a QB. 

36 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane screwed up last year. 

If he is not all in this year to do everything to win the SB this year then he should be fired.

He got the QB now go get the ring. 

You mess up every post, but nobody has fired you yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane screwed up last year. 

If he is not all in this year to do everything to win the SB this year then he should be fired.

He got the QB now go get the ring. 

Yeah, yeah, he screwed up last year by putting together probably the best roster in the league.

They could use you in the Superman comics writer's room. You could help them figure out what people from Bizarro World might say in any given situation.

He did a fantastic job last year, and this year he should absolutely NOT do anything to squeeze our window, which is right now a very long one.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think you look for that player to put you over the top.  I do think you look at what you have, what got you here, and what you absolutely cannot afford to lose in order to continue giving yourself the best chance to win.  That's the difference between consistency and high stakes gambling.  Allen makes this whole team better in every respect, so I think we start with protecting him and ensuring he has play makers to get the ball to.  Deal with the rest as it comes.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.