Bills cap situation from the former Assistant GM.

Buffalo_Stampede

Actually more recently he said he'd like to get the Giants to around $40 million in cap space. 

Trade Barkley? That saves them more than $7 million.   Sterling Shepard released after June 1st saves about $8.5 million?   How about trading James Bradberry - That would save them more than $12 million.

5 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

I remember KC not having much cap room last year and they made it work. Sure Beane and co. can do some things

It's all about kicking the can down the road and the Bills can generate tons of cap space with a combination of any of these moves:

- Releasing/trading Beasely

- Releasing/restructure Williams

- Restructuring Tre White deal

- Releasing Feliciano, Matekevich, etc.

- Trading Edmonds

- Extending Diggs

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's all about kicking the can down the road and the Bills can generate tons of cap space with a combination of any of these moves:

- Releasing/trading Beasely

- Releasing/restructure Williams

- Restructuring Tre White deal

- Releasing Feliciano, Matekevich, etc.

- Trading Edmonds

- Extending Diggs

Or indeed extending Edmunds. Not saying I'd do that but I still think they might.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Or indeed extending Edmunds. Not saying I'd do that but I still think they might.

You are probably right but still holding out hopes he's played his last down for this team and we move him now why he still has real value (maybe even a 1st rounder).

It honestly be a win/win for both sides especially if Edmunds lands with a defensive coach and scheme that provide a better fit for his skill set.

• Disagree 2

20 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You are probably right but still holding out hopes he's played his last down for this team and we move him now why he still has real value (maybe even a 1st rounder).

It honestly be a win/win for both sides especially if Edmunds lands with a defensive coach and scheme that provide a better fit for his skill set.

I mean.....what could go wrong 🙄

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The question is if they do try to extend Edmunds, do they have pay higher than they got Milano for?

I don't believe he is as good as Milano but I would think he may feel slighted if he were tendered something below Milano's contract.

They could maybe do 5 year - 50 million but I don't think he'd accept it.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know many are wondering where the cap space is going to come from, but I remember this quote from Joe Schoen about a month ago. Sounds like the Bills were/are planning to be players in free agency.

The Bills aren't going to be players.  They're going to be play-YAHZ!

image.thumb.jpeg.b7a1d9cf2adcf4d555fc3fbd8e965c43.jpeg
Here comes Beane now!

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 5

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Said it then........but picking up Edmunds' $12.7M option was clearly a mistake when they could have just transition tagged him for $2M more in the event that he had a REAL breakout season.     His option figure was bloated by two Pro Bowl trips that made him look like a top 4 MLB in the NFL when he was just more like a top 10.

Would have liked to see what playing to EARN that money would have done for him.........it's just human nature to play better when you have something on the line..........which Edmunds did not since his 2022 salary was already full guaranteed last spring.

This year,  Ed Oliver seems like a lock to get his option picked up as it's only $10M.  The transition is currently about $3.5M more than that and the full on FT is about $7M more.   Basically the spread is much higher than with Edmunds.

Then they can save the tag if needed to use on Dawson Knox in 2023 if necessary as the TT/FT at TE will be much lower than a top TE aav.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Let it go.  They like Edmunds.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I know many are wondering where the cap space is going to come from, but I remember this quote from Joe Schoen about a month ago. Sounds like the Bills were/are planning to be players in free agency.

But only because of the stadium, right? 

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah, about month old. Yet people are saying we have no cap.

More than one thing can be true?

Bills have no cap at present.  In fact we have negative cap, $-3.9M

A number of moves, including re-signing a couple players, asking a couple players to renegotiate, trading, and cutting player, could be anticipated to result in substantial cap for FA - IF they go through

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

So let me get this straight....

You think Edmunds sucks as a player. 

You also think another team will trade us a 1st round pick on a $12M 1 year rental - for a guy who according to you, is demonstrated to suck as a player.

I know I shouldn't respond, but the mind of a troll is fascinating at times.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So let me get this straight....

You think Edmunds sucks as a player. 

You also think another team will trade us a 1st round pick on a $12M 1 year rental - for a guy who according to you, is demonstrated to suck as a player.

I know I shouldn't respond, but the mind of a troll is fascinating at times.

I never said Edmunds sucks. My take on his is that he's simply miscast in this defensive scheme and not worth signing long term.

But given his age and skill set there might be another team out there that covets him more and believes he could 'break out' in a 3-4 defense which is where he belongs on the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.