Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Wonder if that is code for, going to run more

I was thing about giants too. Trade for Barkley straight up? 

Giants are over the cap, so this wouldn't make sense at all, plus trading a 25 year old RB for a 33 year old WR straight up makes less sense. Can't see any scenario where this would happen.

• Agree 1

I look at Cole Beasley as a set of training wheels that our QB no longer needs. Now we can replace him with a shiny new accessory that increases our speed and ability to threaten a defense in multiple levels, AND save money doing it.

Thanks for everything, Bease. Will always appreciate your contributions to Josh Allen’s growth. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It makes no sense for the Giants to offload Barkley's $7.2 million cap hit, only to take on Beasley's $7.6 million cap hit. And whatever Daboll has said publicly I don't think he cares to help Daniel Jones. They're going to do what's right for the long term future of the organization.

I think the Giants hired Daboll and Schoen with the understanding that they're going to do what the Bills did in 2017, offload as many bad contracts as possible even if it means swallowing a bunch of dead cap this year. Daniel Jones is their version of Tyrod Taylor - if he rises to the occasion, great; if not, they will have accumulated as much draft capital as possible to get their guy in 2023.

I could see Beasley going to the Giants if the Bills just cut him, Daboll will want some of his guys there to implement his culture and scheme. But if a trade happens it will likely be to a team who thinks their offense is ready to win now. Green Bay actually makes a lot of sense, all Rodgers/Beasley jokes aside.

will Green  Bay have the cap space?   If so I’d agree they could use a wr like him.  

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They aren’t picking up his option… as stated they are doing the exact same thing McBeane did here… they’ll let Jones start and give them a full year plus to scout next years QB class… only downside there is you are passing up on an opportunity to draft one this year. 

Funny how Schoen says they aren't going to make up their mind until May 2d, but you already know this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/giants-will-wait-to-decide-on-daniel-jones-option/ar-AAUwqUa

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I would suspect that Daboll will run the same offense that he ran here.

That may not be good for Jones to learn a new offense. 

Also giants offensive line is horrible 

The Giants may have plans to improve the OL.

Daboll isn't the Giants OC; Kafka is.  Kafka came from KC, where they run a WCO variant.  Jones played well under a WCO variant with Mike Shula his rookie year, so he's familiar with the WCO terminology. 

13 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Shocking.  See ya Boosley.

like a shot in the arm. 

:ph34r:

Shocking when he has about a 70% catch rate 

the problem was his production was missing for what seemed numerous games 

was he in the game plans or just not open enough?

too many nagging injuries?

Releasing or trading Beasley would save the Bills $6.1 million in cap space with $1.5 million remaining in dead cap.

Beasley, 32, finished 2021 with the same number of receptions as the year prior (82) but 274 fewer receiving yards. He only had one receiving touchdown, his fewest in a season since 2012 (zero).

Gabe Davis 

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

So much for Beane saying "Oh I have every reason to expect him to be back next season" or however he put it...

Actually he said he anticipated Cole being back, however he also noted that they "haven't had those discussions with him yet".

That 2nd part was key. I believe they figured Beasley would rework his deal as he's said over and over that it's not about money for him. Perhaps the combination of possible playing for less and the Bills planning on playing Davis more was just took much of a perceived insult to Cole to want to stay. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Actually he said he anticipated Cole being back, however he also noted that they "haven't had those discussions with him yet".

That 2nd part was key. I believe they figured Beasley would rework his deal as he's said over and over that it's not about money for him. Perhaps the combination of possible playing for less and the Bills planning on playing Davis more was just took much of a perceived insult to Cole to want to stay. 

That, but also remember he blossomed in Daboll's offense.  Daboll is now a Giant.  Perhaps Beasley doesn't think he'll have as big a role in Brady/Dorsey's passing game, or that the role he will have won't suit him as well, or that they will be less receptive to his inputs than Daboll was.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

like a shot in the arm. 

:ph34r:

Shocking when he has about a 70% catch rate 

the problem was his production was missing for what seemed numerous games 

was he in the game plans or just not open enough?

too many nagging injuries?

His snap counts fell only slightly from 2020: 62% vs 66%.  So he was in the game plan and on the field.

And he had exactly the same number of catches.

The routes he was making receptions on were typically shorter, and he was going down immediately after the catch during the middle of the season vs. fighting for the 1st down.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That, but also remember he blossomed in Daboll's offense.  Daboll is now a Giant.  Perhaps Beasley doesn't think he'll have as big a role in Brady/Dorsey's passing game, or that the role he will have won't suit him as well, or that they will be less receptive to his inputs than Daboll was.

I think some people are expecting a carbon copy of the Daboll offense and are in for a surprise. Dorsey will undoubtedly put his fingerprints on the offense. What does he value in the slot? Speed guy? Size guy? More 2 TE looks? Will be awesome to see the new wrinkles for sure.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.