Cole Beasley given permission to seek trade

BillsMafi$

42 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I guess my place is that he isn’t asked to do what some of those others guys do. He is still pretty productive as compared to other slot guys no?

TBH, I don't know what other slot guys do.  I've never seen a listing of "slot WR".  If anyone has such, I would love to see it.

Beasley has said he's the best slot receiver in the league.  Others have said top 3.  I legitimately don't know.

As far as YAC, in 2019 Beasley was adding almost 5 YAC (4.9) with an 8 yd depth of target  In 2020, fell to 4.3 with a 7.8 yd depth of target.  In 2021, fell to 3.7 with a 5.6 yd depth of target.

While the depth of target/YBC numbers fell more, 1) none of these YAC numbers are zero 2) getting 5 YAC gets you a whole lot more first downs than 3.7 YAC does.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Simon said:

Didn't he just go 0-4 as a starter?

Huntley? 

1-3 but doesn't change the point; he threw 4 picks to 3 TDs and fumbled 4 times. 

We know W/L isn't a QB stat but all those TO added to only 154 ypg passing, not good enough to win

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Trade Beasley by 3/20 save $6.1 million, cut him save $4.6 and carry a $1.5 dead cap. I expect a cut as I don’t see a team willing to pay Beasley that kind of money. 

We carry $1.5M dead cap and save $6.1M either way, unless we keep him past 3/20.  Then we only save $5.6M ($500k roster bonus)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-10318/

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He went 1-3 with two losses by a point against the Packers and Rams.  He's a perfectly capable backup.

He is?  Didn't they tender him?

Spotrac lists Huntley as signed for 1 yr by the Ravens.  He's an RFA next year.

And not sure I agree on the "perfectly capable backup" thing.  He's averaging 2 TO per game.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:15 PM, benderbender said:

Forgive my ignorance, but did announcing this do anything but hurt our chances of trading him? Everyone knew his cap hit, but now other teams know for certain he’s going to be cut. They don’t have to deal for him, they’ll just wait for him to be cut.

If a team really wants a player they would still trade for them if they found the deal reasonable.  If he gets released then he can go wherever he wants to.

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm starting to wonder if we're keeping Beas. I think we should still draft J Williams if he falls to us in the 1st, regardless. 

I'm having the same thoughts. If no trade partner is found, what happens to Beasley? I see three options:

• Keep him as is? .... And if that is the case, is he splitting time in the slot with McKenzie?
  • Do the Bills seek to rework his contract to make it more team friendly? .... Same question about the slot.
  • Or, do they eventually release him to save cap money?

And if other teams think number three is more possible than not, then there is little to no trade value for him. Which Beane may use as leverage to rework his salary to keep him in Buffalo.

I'm not so sure we've seen the last of Beasley in Buffalo ????

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

With the amount of 3-4 WR sets they run, they’re going to need depth. I'm still not sure Beasley is even going to be around next year, but with no splash signings and the return of Lil’ Dirty, who knows?

You could argue, this team always carry’s 6 WRs on the active roster. Right now, you could look at it and say 

1) Diggs
2) Davis
3) McKenzie
4) Beasley
5) ???????
6) Kumerow*

They need at least one viable option, and probably 2. I fully expect them to take one at #25 and possibly pick up another vet option, like crowder, Pringle, Higgins, etc. 

*it’s possible he fills at “ST only” roll, as did Taiwan Jones. He was a RB by nature, but wasn’t necessarily counted as such when looking at the formation of the roster. That being said, Kumerow did take plenty of offensive snaps last year in heavy packages. He could genuinely be #6 in their mind. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm starting to wonder if we're keeping Beas. I think we should still draft J Williams if he falls to us in the 1st, regardless. 

Starting?  I think the moment they granted him permission to seek a trade that die was cast.

I’m still on board with a WR in R1.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I'm having the same thoughts. If no trade partner is found, what happens to Beasley? I see three options:

• Keep him as is? .... And if that is the case, is he splitting time in the slot with McKenzie?
  • Do the Bills seek to rework his contract to make it more team friendly? .... Same question about he slot.
  • Or do they eventually release him to save cap money?

And if other teams think number three is more possible than not, then there is no little to no trade value for him. Which Beane may use as leverage to rework his salary to keep him in Buffalo.

I'm not so sure we've seen the last of Beasley if Buffalo ????

Totally guessing, but I’m thinking Beasley was searching a trade because he was asked to take a paycut and said no. 

It is possible he stays. I might even put it at 50/50. But the odds of him staying at his current contract are probably slim. And honestly, if I am the Bills, I most certainly lower my original contract offer. 

The Bills want Bradley’s number lower or gone. He’ll take a paycut here or he’ll play somewhere else. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

• Do the Bills seek to rework his contract to make it more team friendly? .... Same question about the slot.
  • Or, do they eventually release him to save cap money?

And if other teams think number three is more possible than not, then there is little to no trade value for him. Which Beane may use as leverage to rework his salary to keep him in Buffalo.

I'm not so sure we've seen the last of Beasley in Buffalo ????

Option 1 makes no sense when releasing him represents a cap savings of approximately $6 million. I don't see any way he stays 'as is'.

• Agree 1

On 3/15/2022 at 6:36 AM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

With the amount of 3-4 WR sets they run, they’re going to need depth. I'm still not sure Beasley is even going to be around next year, but with no splash signings and the return of Lil’ Dirty, who knows?

You could argue, this team always carry’s 6 WRs on the active roster. Right now, you could look at it and say 

1) Diggs
2) Davis
3) McKenzie
4) Beasley
5) ???????
6) Kumerow*

They need at least one viable option, and probably 2. I fully expect them to take one at #25 and possibly pick up another vet option, like crowder, Pringle, Higgins, etc. 

*it’s possible he fills at “ST only” roll, as did Taiwan Jones. He was a RB by nature, but wasn’t necessarily counted as such when looking at the formation of the roster. That being said, Kumerow did take plenty of offensive snaps last year in heavy packages. He could genuinely be #6 in their mind. 

Your forgetting Stevenson.  While he didn't show much as a rookie nor was he given many chances, he now has a year experience under his belt and likely will be given the opportunity to win that spot..  You could fill him in as #6 and Kumerow, #5  Doubt Beasley will be here thought so still will be short one, likely filled in the draft.

Also may depend what happens yet a TE.  If they sign a mid level dependable TE, can see them going more with 2 TE sets, thus reducing the WR needs some.  Think they will still sign either a mid level TE or WR and draft a WR fairly early, maybe 2nd round.

What about a guy like TY Hilton? Maybe he can be had for a Sanders like contract. He can play in the slot and outside, so he isn't really taking reps away from Gabe Davis. His production has been down, but I think he would fit well here. 

Maybe a young and hungry guy with some return ability like Dante Pettis who I think we liked during draft time. 

10 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Also may depend what happens yet a TE.  If they sign a mid level dependable TE, can see them going more with 2 TE sets, thus reducing the WR needs some.  Think they will still sign either a mid level TE or WR and draft a WR fairly early, maybe 2nd round.

Maybe this is the year we finally sign Jesse James, who is somehow still only 27. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

What about a guy like TY Hilton? Maybe he can be had for a Sanders like contract. He can play in the slot and outside, so he isn't really taking reps away from Gabe Davis. His production has been down, but I think he would fit well here. 

Maybe a young and hungry guy with some return ability like Dante Pettis who I think we liked during draft time. 

I like Hilton but he's always hurt

Some random thoughts when it comes to Beasley...

1. He was heavily utilized in the passing game. His 112 targets and 82 receptions were both top 30 in the league. The 82 receptions were actually 17th for all receivers ahead of such guys as D. Metcalf, C. Lamb, M. Williams and J. Chase. His conversion rate (targets leading to receptions) was 73% which is elite and (top 10). Beasley also saw a rich share of receptions in our offense -- second only to Diggs in receptions and targets. Replacing those targets -- and the confidence that a replacement receiver will make good on such a high percentage of those targets is not going to be easy.

2. As others have pointed out, while the volume is great -- the production was seriously lacking. Top 30 in targets and top 20 in receptions -- he was not even top 40 in yards. That little over 8 yards per reception average is (putting it kindly) not very good. And only 1 TD reception on the season?

3. Getting McK back is great -- but that just means that this is not ANOTHER hole to fill. E. Sanders is almost certainly gone, so that is one more hole to fill even if Beasley remains. McK is great in his gadget role -- but I am not at all confident that he will be able to step into a full time slot receiver role -- certainly not in the high capacity Beasley role. And we do not have anyone else on the team that I believe is a good fit in the slot. (Diggs can play anywhere -- but it would be a waste to limit him as a slot receiver).

4. In Josh Allen we have a rare QB that can get the ball to any spot on the field at any given time. As the season wore on, it became more and more evident that the short passing game was a point of emphasis. Perhaps the "other" McK signing indicates that much of this production will come out of the backfield.

5. You have to wonder how much of Beasley's off-field distractions last season (culminating in him having to miss playing time) may have grated on the coaches and team.

6. The fact that Beasley was granted permission to seek a trade likely clues us in to what the front office's thoughts are about his future in Buffalo. Maybe not necessarily that they are down on him -- but at his age, contract $ and the team's current cap situation -- they may feel like it is time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.