Arby's: Good, Bad, or outright Horrible?

T&C

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I have always heard that WNY and Greater Rochester are two of the few areas that cook a natural casing hotdog over a charcoal fire.  Most other locations you get a 'skinless' dog that's boiled, griddle cooked, or rollered. 😳 Out of town gourmands can verify or deny?

When travelling to Myrtle Beach thru NC I have stopped for my daughter for hot dogs.

There is a chain down in NC near I-95 exits which sells hot dogs which are natural casing hotdogs over a charcoal fire.

Really small place where you do not sit inside.  Watched them cooking from window.  Sorry cannot remember name.

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I have always heard that WNY and Greater Rochester are two of the few areas that cook a natural casing hotdog over a charcoal fire.  Most other locations you get a 'skinless' dog that's boiled, griddle cooked, or rollered. 😳 Out of town gourmands can verify or deny?

I know of no place like Ted's around here.

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

When travelling to Myrtle Beach thru NC I have stopped for my daughter for hot dogs.

There is a chain down in NC near I-95 exits which sells hot dogs which are natural casing hotdogs over a charcoal fire.

Really small place where you do not sit inside.  Watched them cooking from window.  Sorry cannot remember name.

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I know of no place like Ted's around here.

I know that the Ted's chain established at least one Arizona location.  I seem to recall my brother (who lives in central Florida) mentioning there were a few displaced WNYers who offer Ted's style dogs.

9 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I'm good with a Quik-E-Mart hotdog off the roller with mustard.

19 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Here in the Queensbury/Glens Falls area, we have a couple locally legendary hot dog joints (Dog Shack and New Way Lunch, which has been around since 1919).  They both cook their dogs on a griddle and the dogs are skinless.

There are a couple great hot dog joints down near Albany and they, too, griddle their dogs.

If one goes up north to the Plattsburgh/Malone areas, hot dogs seem to be steamed most places.  Other than the places who serve Glazier's red hots (super snappy red skin), I think most places use skinless dogs because the focus is more on the Michigan sauce.

I don't think I've ever been to any place who uses charcoal for anything, let alone dogs.

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Here in the Queensbury/Glens Falls area, we have a couple locally legendary hot dog joints (Dog Shack and New Way Lunch, which has been around since 1919).  They both cook their dogs on a griddle and the dogs are skinless.

There are a couple great hot dog joints down near Albany and they, too, griddle their dogs.

If one goes up north to the Plattsburgh/Malone areas, hot dogs seem to be steamed most places.  Other than the places who serve Glazier's red hots (super snappy red skin), I think most places use skinless dogs because the focus is more on the Michigan sauce.

I don't think I've ever been to any place who uses charcoal for anything, let alone dogs.

Someone drag Guggles to Ted's next time he comes to a home game.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe Arby’s is owned by the same company that owns Buffalo Wild Wings, and the boneless wings they recently sold for a short time were not bad for a chain drive-thru fast-food place. Once they stopped selling them at the first of the year, I haven’t been back.

OP forgot the option, 'Arby's Frickin'' Rocks'... a couple times a year.  Beef n Cheddar has the best bun in fast food, and with a crap-ton of horsey sauce it's untouchable... in its own way.

Yes, I like real horseradish, yes I generally eat real roast beff, and tenderloin's are delightful.  Yes the local Prime Rib house makes a better, healthier sandwich (whatever healthy means when you enter this terrain), but for what it is, Arby's is great.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/arbys-liquid-meat/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:39 PM, T&C said:

Because its pretty lame? 

If you have ever grown your own horseradish you know it will clean out your head in seconds... and when grinding its best to stay upwind for sure.

Wow!  Never thought it existed.  Horsey sauce snobs!

😏 

50 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

OP forgot the option, 'Arby's Frickin'' Rocks'... a couple times a year.  Beef n Cheddar has the best bun in fast food, and with a crap-ton of horsey sauce it's untouchable... in its own way.

Yes, I like real horseradish, yes I generally eat real roast beff, and tenderloin's are delightful.  Yes the local Prime Rib house makes a better, healthier sandwich (whatever healthy means when you enter this terrain), but for what it is, Arby's is great.

C.

FWIW... Too many damn Arby's closing!

On 2/27/2022 at 8:25 AM, LewPort71 said:

I was thinking of going to Arby's for the fish sandwich.  Maybe not now.

Actually, their fish sandwich is pretty good, better than the other fast food joints. The brisket sandwich is good also, 'cept they are kind stingy with the meat. Overall if I were, to go to a fast food place, I would choose Arbys or Wendys,  McD's, Burger King, taco bell are all nasty. A good local deli or family diner food will trump any fast food joint.

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I think the beef-n-cheddar bun has onions in it, which automatically makes it the worst in the business. I remember getting one, driving away, and almost crashing my car when I started eating it.:sick:

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, T&C said:

I used to go there for lunch when I lived in Sarasota. They moved the location a bit north and I’ve been to the new place once. They do a nice job of giving me a taste of my childhood. 

23 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I know that the Ted's chain established at least one Arizona location.  I seem to recall my brother (who lives in central Florida) mentioning there were a few displaced WNYers who offer Ted's style dogs.

Here in Atlanta there was a Ted’s knockoff called Barker’s Red Hots. They even had Loganberry and “Crystal Beach fries”. Sadly, they closed down a few years ago. Another “taste of home”. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Oddly I think they are OK as long as you don't eat what they advertise the most/as their best. Their "Roast beef" sandwiches are terrible, and taste more like ham than anything.

But I think their chicken sandwiches are pretty damn good, and the curly fries also are not bad. Also, points for any restaurant with me who has horseradish sauce of any kind available.

4 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

But I think their chicken sandwiches are pretty damn good, and the curly fries also are not bad. Also, points for any restaurant with me who has horseradish sauce of any kind available.

i agree that their other items are overlooked. Great chicken and fish sandwiches. They actually have some good sides and apps, like mozz sticks and potato cakes.  I had a buddy who used to swear by their regular deli sandwiches and subs (not sure they make them anymore).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.