Arby's: Good, Bad, or outright Horrible?

T&C

6 hours ago, gdabillsfan said:

Actually, their fish sandwich is pretty good, better than the other fast food joints. The brisket sandwich is good also, 'cept they are kind stingy with the meat. Overall if I were, to go to a fast food place, I would choose Arbys or Wendys,  McD's, Burger King, taco bell are all nasty. A good local deli or family diner food will trump any fast food joint.

Almost the only time we ever do fast food is if we are driving long distance. Wendy’s is my first choice, and Arby’s would be next if there is one at our exit.

I used to get Taco Bell for a late lunch a few times a year, and enjoyed it throughly…..until I regretted it. It’s fun, until the gross feeling sets in. 

Burger King does not react well with my system. I think I probably LOSE weight if I eat a Whopper. Bad idea when you never know when the next exit is coming up! McD’s…….has reliable bathrooms. 

I will say, Jersey Mike’s has some pretty good food. But I always prefer avoiding franchises in favor of independent local joints when I have the option. 

• Like (+1) 1

At least they have the meats 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Almost the only time we ever do fast food is if we are driving long distance. Wendy’s is my first choice, and Arby’s would be next if there is one at our exit.

I used to get Taco Bell for a late lunch a few times a year, and enjoyed it throughly…..until I regretted it. It’s fun, until the gross feeling sets in. 

Burger King does not react well with my system. I think I probably LOSE weight if I eat a Whopper. Bad idea when you never know when the next exit is coming up! McD’s…….has reliable bathrooms. 

I will say, Jersey Mike’s has some pretty good food. But I always prefer avoiding franchises in favor of independent local joints when I have the option. 

Completely random thought, but years ago when Burger King bought Tim Hortons my first thought was “how?”  I just assumed Tim Hortons was worth more. Goes to show how many times I’ve ever been to Burger King. I don’t think I even know anyone who has ever ate there. Always wonder how they survive. 

13 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Completely random thought, but years ago when Burger King bought Tim Hortons my first thought was “how?”  I just assumed Tim Hortons was worth more. Goes to show how many times I’ve ever been to Burger King. I don’t think I even know anyone who has ever ate there. Always wonder how they survive. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/who-owns-taco-bell-arbys-burger-king-2019-3%3famp

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

All the more reason to seek and support the much smaller local places. They have a hard time competing against the giants, but they are where you go for a true quality meal, even if it’s a bit pricier. Even the “high end” restaurants named are just franchise joints. Some are OK, but none are great. 

Our favorite restaurants are often a hole in the wall next to a package store you wouldn’t DREAM of going into….unless you had local knowledge. 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I like to get the Wendy's $4 and $5 bags.  Plenty of food in those. 

Burger King has very little I would actually crave, pretty much only a Double Whopper, and the Original Chicken Sandwich, plus their onion rings.  

Went to a Jersey Mikes that opened recently near my home, won't be eating there very often.  Two regular size subs, one bag of chips, a brownie, and two fountain sodas came to just over $30. It was good, but I can't see paying that very often. I'll go to Wegmans instead.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Burger King has very little I would actually crave, pretty much only a Double Whopper, and the Original Chicken Sandwich, plus their onion rings.  

Went to a Jersey Mikes that opened recently near my home, won't be eating there very often.  Two regular size subs, one bag of chips, a brownie, and two fountain sodas came to just over $30. It was good, but I can't see paying that very often. I'll go to Wegmans instead.  

If it’s a “special brownie”, that might be a deal, and you get to eat your dessert first! 

Then DEVOUR the rest. 

Edited by Augie

27 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Soda/pop is one of the biggest moneymakers most of these places have, it costs them pennies. Jersey Mikes Is good but man they think their very regular subs are made of gold. We like Publix, which is the Wegmans of the south.

4 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Only thing I used to eat was the burger with onion ring on it.

There was (maybe still is) a Burger King at corner of main street campus of UB and I used to get really good coupon books and used my little spare money to buy one occasionally.

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There was (maybe still is) a Burger King at corner of main street campus of UB...

BK at Main and Bailey was bulldozed for the 'triumphant' return of Dunkin' Donuts to the area.  Cooled my heels there, waiting for a Bocce Club order to be done a few years back.

Arby’s lured me back with their spicy chicken diablo sandwich.  Between my disappointment in that and them dumping their potato cakes for (of all things!) crinkle fries, I won’t be back anytime soon.  Diablo had more spice than other fast food sandwiches, but it was not flavored well, it was cooked poorly (not crispy at all) and the protein portion was small.  If they dump their Jamocia shake they will have nothing worth stopping for. 

9 hours ago, T&C said:

Soda/pop is one of the biggest moneymakers most of these places have, it costs them pennies. Jersey Mikes Is good but man they think their very regular subs are made of gold. We like Publix, which is the Wegmans of the south.

I tried Jersey Mike's last week for the first time. I bought a small roast beef with provolone. It was tiny, bland, and consisted of 3 thin slices of each. I think it came to 8 dollars and change.

Never again.

Jmo.

16 hours ago, T&C said:

Publix is nothing like Wegmans.  There is one 5 min from my house and if it was not just the closest place to get to I would not bother with it at all.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Publix is nothing like Wegmans.  There is one 5 min from my house and if it was not just the closest place to get to I would not bother with it at all.  

I’m in Publix almost every day. (I have no idea what I’ll want for dinner tomorrow!) It’s kind of like a Hampton Inn, nothing special buy reliable. Last trip to WNY for a game I went with the family into a Wegman’s. It was part tailgate shopping/part tourist attraction. We all enjoyed the experience, which is a VERY strange thing to say. 

I’m not sure if I’ve ever had a Publix sub, but they must be very popular based on the length of the line mid-day. But I’d be willing to bet Wegman’s would be my sub of choice. 

20 hours ago, Augie said:

What...no 'Popeyes'?! 😁

(Newer board members, this is for you!)

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Its the closest to a Wegmans that isn't a Wegmans.

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not sure if I’ve ever had a Publix sub, but they must be very popular based on the length of the line mid-day. But I’d be willing to bet Wegman’s would be my sub of choice. 

Subs are pretty good... Boar's Head meat and cheeses... they'll make it however you want right in front of you. Sure a lot cheaper than Jersey Mikes, and they taste better.

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

What...no 'Popeyes'?! 😁

(Newer board members, this is for you!)

Do NOT get me started! :censored:

No, no Popeye’s is NOT on my list! 

Well, they are on A list. It’s a $&^% list. Permanently. I will forward my therapy invoices directly to you, thank you very much! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.