LA market not in top 10 for SB TV ratings

YoloinOhio

It's an interesting result. Seat of the pants analysis: a lot of this has to do with the percentage of foreign-born (excluding Canadian) residents. American football, is, well (North) American.  Los Angeles simply doesn't have the demographics to drive Top 10 football viewership. Many of the rust belt cities do.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Not surprised.

The NFL is gonna make their TV money either way, so they don't care.

I totally agree with this but admittedly just bitter that there is one fan base and city that gets to end the season happy, and it’s one that is bandwagon and/or doesn’t care. 

Just now, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I'm home in CA this week. It was in the mid 80s on Sunday afternoon and sunny. Most people in this area could care less about the Lambs. Of course there are many who do care and the population of SO CAL is very high, but based on the ratings, doesn't seem like the percentage that care are high.

I’m guess not sure why it matters what the weather is like during the game. We have 80 degrees and sunny during plenty of football games in the fall and it doesn’t impact whether I watch the games. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Success said:

I was happy for some of the players on the Rams.  But for that fanbase, it's just a minor distraction from drama w/ the Lakers.

I think this was LA's last championship for some time. The Lakers have done basically what the Rams did. Leveraged their future picks for this year. And in the Lakers case it was a colossal fail. I think the Dodgers have peaked too.

TV Ratings is a really poor term. For example, I would not be counted in TV ratings, but I watched the Superbowl. 

Then you have that ratings are a percentage, not a straight up number. So 10% of LA watching might be more people than 40% of Cincinnati. This is also based on  roughly 21,000 households that are monitored out of something like 127 million people who have TVs in their home.

Also, when you dig into how Nielsen accounts for viewership and then viewership outside of the home (February in Cincinnati and LA are two very different things), these ratings are basically massive guesses. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I totally agree with this but admittedly just bitter that there is one fan base and city that gets to end the season happy, and it’s one that is bandwagon and/or doesn’t care. 

As a whole, sure. But there are a ton of fans in that area, nonetheless. They watched their team move to St. Louis and win a SB there. At least they were able to win now in their original city.

Dont Know Shrug GIF

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

As a whole, sure. But there are a ton of fans in that area, nonetheless. They watched their team move to St. Louis and win a SB there. At least they were able to win now in their original city.

Dont Know Shrug GIF

I hope that is the case. They moved to St. Louis so long ago I’m not sure how many folks hung on that long. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Malazan said:

TV Ratings is a really poor term. For example, I would not be counted in TV ratings, but I watched the Superbowl. 

Also, when you dig into how Nielsen accounts for viewership and then viewership outside of the home (February in Cincinnati and LA are two very different things), these ratings are basically massive guesses. 

We were a Nielsen family twice.  The first time we had to report our viewing online.  The second time (after a few years), we had to wear this beeper-looking thing on our persons and that would tell Nielsen what we were watching.

Game started while it was still light on the West Coast. Too many people still out at the Boardwalk at Venice, ogling the sights. 😁

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

The second time (after a few years), we had to wear this beeper-looking thing on our persons and that would tell Nielsen what we were watching.

Were the cheques signed by Bill Belichick?

25 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I'm home in CA this week. It was in the mid 80s on Sunday afternoon and sunny. Most people in this area could care less about the Lambs. Of course there are many who do care and the population of SO CAL is very high, but based on the ratings, doesn't seem like the percentage that care are high.

Makes sense if the OC in your name refers to Orange County... OC doesn't identify with the LA teams- more the Jets fans of the sporting world. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.