Michaels To Call 11th Super Bowl Before NBC Contract Ends

Punching Bag

https://pro32.ap.org/article/michaels-call-11th-super-bowl-nbc-contract-ends

Michaels has been the lead announcer on “Sunday Night Football” since its start in 2006, but his contract expires after next Sunday’s matchup between the Cincinnati Bengals and Los Angeles Rams. The 77-year old hasn’t indicated his future plans, but said he does relish becoming a free agent for one of the few times in a career that has spanned more than 50 years.

His voice is still great.

NBC signed Mike Tirico in 2016 to take over as Olympics host and eventually succeed Michaels on “Sunday Night Football.” With NBC having the Super Bowl in Los Angeles and Michaels’ contract ending, this upcoming offseason may be a transition point.

Tirico, who has called some NFL games the past couple of seasons, will do double duty next weekend — hosting NBC’s prime-time coverage of the Beijing Games as well as the Super Bowl pregame show.

Can he rein the senior partner?

Cris Collinsworth, Michaels’ broadcast partner since 2009, is expected in the SNF booth.

This is really depressing news.

Al is the best play-by-play announcer in the game right now, and one of the best ever. He's losing a step with age, as they say, but I'd still rather listen to him than Nantz or Buck. (Nantz isn't bad unless Brady is involved in the game. I can't stand Buck.)

Tirico is a good choice to replace Michaels. Collinsworth, I can totally live without.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2

7 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Al is the best play-by-play announcer in the game right now, and one of the best ever. He's losing a step with age, as they say, but I'd still rather listen to him than Nantz or Buck. (Nantz isn't bad unless Brady is involved in the game. I can't stand Buck.)

Tirico is a good choice to replace Michaels. Collinsworth, I can totally live without.

Michaels and Collinsworth is the best duo going. But I really like Mike Tirico. I think he is better than Nantz and Buck. Tirico and Gruden was a great MNF duo for ESPN. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

If Collinsworth is doing the Superbowl, I really hope the Bengals get their ***** kicked in. How is he gonna be impartial with Cincy and Joe Blowhole playing?

Collinsworth and impartial never belong in the same sentence. Most biased announcer out there. Absolutely garbage to listen to. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

If Collinsworth is doing the Superbowl, I really hope the Bengals get their ***** kicked in. How is he gonna be impartial with Cincy and Joe Blowhole playing?

Eh does it even matter? These guys go outta there way to criticize their former teams to seem balanced. See Tasker for CBS before, Cowboys fans hate when Aikman calls their games, etc... Collinsworth is a dbag no question, but I think he's more concerned about backing up his precious PFF stats during a broadcast than caring about the Cincy.

• Haha (+1) 1

If Michaels does go with Amazon, I wonder if they will make him come to Buffalo to actually broadcast a game vs. conveniently taking a vacation week. He probably hated having to be here in person to call the playoff game vs. Baltimore. Must not be a wings and beef on weck kind of guy.

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Seems like Amazons dream scenario is Al with Troy Aikman next year…looks like that’s happening 

I wonder if they can lure Peyton Manning into the booth with Al.  Aikman is too wooden for my liking.

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I like Kevin Harlan.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really dislike Mike Tirico, as I was reminded last night watching him BS his way through his Olympics coverage on NBC.

He just comes across totally disinterested and artificial, like he's doing a job.  Phony.  

Al Michaels always came across like a rabid sports fan who happens to be calling the game.

Both are very proficient broadcasters, but no one can touch Al.

I would LOVE to see Collinsworth gone, with Al coming back for a few more years.

He hasn't started to lose it, IMO.  He's still sharp.  

With older announcers, the brain goes first and it shows, but Al hasn't gotten there IMO.

I wonder if he's ready to fully retire.

14 hours ago, LittleSammy said:

If Michaels does go with Amazon, I wonder if they will make him come to Buffalo to actually broadcast a game vs. conveniently taking a vacation week. He probably hated having to be here in person to call the playoff game vs. Baltimore. Must not be a wings and beef on weck kind of guy.

Pretty much all broadcasters, forever, hate coming to Buffalo.  It's the fans.

21 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://pro32.ap.org/article/michaels-call-11th-super-bowl-nbc-contract-ends

His voice is still great.

Can he rein the senior partner?

This is really depressing news.

This was known for some time

this is why CBS and NBC flipped super bowl coverage slots knoeingMichaels last year on NBC.

next year he probably just works from his Bay Area home doing Amazon games

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I wonder if they can lure Peyton Manning into the booth with Al.  Aikman is too wooden for my liking.

I like Kevin Harlan.

Harlan is great. Ian Eagle is my top announcer currently. 

21 hours ago, QB Bills said:

One of the many regrets about those last 13 seconds is that I was looking forward to Al Michaels potentially calling a Bills super bowl. Unlikely to ever happen now.

He did call SB XXV though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.