Vikings Oline coach Phil Rauscher (Twitter speculation)

BillsMafi$

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So that's a pretty disparate group Pelissaro references.

George Warhop is 60.  He was most recently OL coach of the Jaguars.  He's been coaching OL in the NFL since 1996 and coached in college before that.

Parts of his resume are not inspiring.

Ryan Wendell is our own in-house candidate.  He played OL for the Patriots (under legendary Coach Scar) for 8 years, for the Panthers 1 year.  He played center and RG and was part of the Superbowl team that beat the SeaSnakes.  He's been a coaching assistant 1 year, then Assistant OL coach for 2 years.  He's got the longest player resume and the shortest coaching resume.  He's 35.

Phil Rauscher has been coaching in the NFL since 2015, with Denver, Washington, and Minnesota.  He played OL at UCLA for 3 years then got injured. He was promoted from assistant to interim OL coach under Bill Calahan in 2019, assistant OL coach with the Vikes for 2020, and promoted from assistant OL coach to OL coach this season.  He's 36 and is said to be loud and high-energy.

Given some of the OL coachs on the market, none of the 3 have me particularly enthused

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane referred to our current OL as "something to  build on".   To re-build 3/5 of the OL would take a lot of high draft picks and budget.

Is this even a good draft for OL?  Anyone?

I'm unsure about draft...however IOL is a strong FA class provided they don't resign with their current teams. 

I would expect at bare minimum that LG and RT should see competition. Bates and Brown both played well IMO (Brown was a little more hit and miss). 

After the line struggled early with the "run it back" approach last year with the same starters I'm hoping that a few solid games don't talk Beane out of upgrades to the unit.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Josh is their saving grace. Without him this offense is in the gutter for the entirety of the McBeane tenure. 

It depends who the quarterback is. If it's your boy Tyrod then yes, because he sucks and QB is important. If it's say Matt Stafford or Justin Herbert or someone who can play it would still be a good offense.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm unsure about draft...however IOL is a strong FA class provided they don't resign with their current teams. 

I would expect at bare minimum that LG and RT should see competition. Bates and Brown both played well IMO (Brown was a little more hit and miss). 

After the line struggled early with the "run it back" approach last year with the same starters I'm hoping that a few solid games don't talk Beane out of upgrades to the unit.

Who can they get who will be better and even the same salary as Williams?

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It didn't sound that way as of Beane's end of season presser.  He referred to our OL as "something to build on"

I think Brown played well enough as a rookie that he'll be given a chance to lock down the job in his second season.  I think we keep Williams to backstop him and/or play G, but if Williams feels strongly that he's a RT and he wants to play RT, Beane might try to trade him.

I'd like to see us draft the best C/G we can manage, and sign a strong FA G to compete.

• Agree 2

Another connection not really getting attention is that he worked as an assistant with James Cregg in Denver (they were both under Dennison) who has been the LSU OL coach and run game coordinator since 2018 which means he'd have a connection to Joe Brady.

I know everyone is pounding the table for Munchak because he's got a great track record but I think they might be trying to find the right fit of running game that is going to mesh with our passing scheme and concepts (RPOs, PA, etc.) and it didn't surprise me that they would want a wide zone guy.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmmm. Kubiak system guy? Zone blocking incoming? 

I wouldn't be a fan of that.

It's the outside zone the OL and backs really struggled with..............but if they are still trying that you have to believe that McDermott wants it............probably because he hates to defend it.

It seems counterintuitive to take existing talent that might be adequate enough to have the league's highest scoring offense in 2022 in one style and then have to replace or move several of them to fit into outside zone better.

I just think you can do a more from inside zone.    For one thing........having the primary RB target point being the gap between the guard and the tackle is a lot more realistic for guys like Singletary and Moss than having the target point being outside the tackle.    Inside zone also generally gives you 3 options.....2 cut backs........where outside is mostly just outside and then possibly the backside A gap cutback.     And Roman proved you can mix gap/pin and pull very nicely with a primarily inside zone attack.     Not that you can't do it as an outside zone based group but it's a lot to ask.

A lot more running in general for the OL playing OZ as well.........unless of course you are so bad at it that you don't actually get to run it much.     

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's the outside zone the OL and backs really struggled with..............but if they are still trying that you have to believe that McDermott wants it............probably because he hates to defend it.

It seems counterintuitive to take existing talent that might be adequate enough to have the league's highest scoring offense in 2022 in one style and then have to replace or move several of them to fit into outside zone better.

I just think you can do a more from inside zone.    For one thing........having the primary RB target point being the gap between the guard and the tackle is a lot more realistic for guys like Singletary and Moss than having the target point being outside the tackle.    Inside zone also generally gives you 3 options.....2 cut backs........where outside is mostly just outside and then possibly the backside A gap cutback.     And Roman proved you can mix gap/pin and pull very nicely with a primarily inside zone attack.     Not that you can't do it as an outside zone based group but it's a lot to ask.

A lot more running in general for the OL playing OZ as well.........unless of course you are so bad at it that you don't actually get to run it much.     

I think you can get way more options for RPOs if you are building it off wide zones.

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

I like it - has worked with Tom Cable and Bill Callahan in his career.  Outside of Scarrnechia they're 2 of the best. 

I see it as an upgrade. 

Joe Bugel, Alex Gibbs, Bob McKittrick, Mouse McNally... Legendary O-line coaches for 200, Alex...

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Not sure about this...pro football outsiders has the Vikings ranked well below the Bills in term of offensive line yards(4.40 to 4.02) and Vikings were the worst team in the NFL in terms of getting stuffed on carries at 23%. Literally almost 1 out of every 4 RB caries resulted in a loss. In comparison Bills were 12th best at 16%

image.thumb.png.f8cfd4833eec361f5ef715734a464837.png

Could it be a simple matter of the Bills having more O-line talent?

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

You've heard of the game "6 degrees of Kevin bacon".

Now we have "6 degrees of Carolina panthers"

6 degrees of Panthers Nation

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.