Dorsey ran a lot of 12 personnel packages

78thealltimegreat

I know Daboll ran what Chris Simms called a “Patriots light” offense where he took many of his concepts from his Pats days here.

So figured I’d watch Kens time with the Miami hurricanes and he ran an awful lot of 2 TE…1 Back style stuff…now it could be the insane talent they had at those positions but was thinking this might factor into the Bills free agent and draft decisions as well. 
Either way it looks like we are getting a lot of play action in his offense as he loved to do that Miami 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Josh thrived with play action...so that would be a huge plus.

That said, being he ran that offense in college doesn't mean it is something he runs now. People evolve and learn. We will see soon what Dorsey's philosophy is.

The Bills offense under Daboll and the Carolina offense when Dorsey was on the staff there likely have much bigger influences on how Dorsey will do things as OC than what he ran in college.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

The Bills offense under Daboll and the Carolina offense when Dorsey was on the staff there likely have much bigger influences on how Dorsey will do things as OC than what he ran in college.

Agree. I would also hope that Dorsey has a few original ideas to incorporate that seemed to escape Daboll from time to time last year. Such as generating better YAC, incorporating a better screen game. Different ideas to set up ALL available talent on offense to succeed. 

He's got a lot to prove. Let's hope he's up to it!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Knox + Gronk 

I like 12 if both of your TE's are good.

Good way to keep the ball moving,   bolster the run game and open up the deep play action passing game.

Agree.....maybe we consider Gronk or Gesicki on a reasonable deal? Love the idea of bolstering our run game and advancing play action. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree. I would also hope that Dorsey has a few original ideas to incorporate that seemed to escape Daboll from time to time last year. Such as generating better YAC, incorporating a better screen game. Different ideas to set up ALL available talent on offense to succeed. 

He's got a lot to prove. Let's hope he's up to it!

I am sure that Dorsey will have his own take on things.

Plus, the personnel will change and that will likely allow him to do new things.

• Agree 2

I would like to see a 2TE 3WR set with a WR like Deebo Samuel who is able to motion back to the RB position. In a hurry up offense I feel like this would wreak havoc and confuse the crap out of DC’s. If the 49ers had Allen they would be a lock for winning the SB this year. If I was Dorsey I would steal most of my plays from the 49ers play book. The 49ers play design and formations are brilliant and whoever the guy is there that is responsible for designing that running attack needs to be bronzed.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Such as generating better YAC. 

I took a look.  Bills were last in the league in YAC per completion at 4.2.  49ers were best at 6.6.  

Bills were just average around the league in yards per attempt and yards per completion.   Both of those numbers would improve if the Bills could get another yard of YAC.  

On the other hand, the Bills were third in first downs, third in total plays, third in scoring, fifth in total yards on offense.   Hard to argue with that.  

So, I'd say YAC isn't the stat I'd target to improve.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I took a look.  Bills were last in the league in YAC per completion at 4.2.  49ers were best at 6.6.  

Bills were just average around the league in yards per attempt and yards per completion.   Both of those numbers would improve if the Bills could get another yard of YAC.  

On the other hand, the Bills were third in first downs, third in total plays, third in scoring, fifth in total yards on offense.   Hard to argue with that.  

I would say that if we targeted to improve that part, it gives defenses another thing to worry about.

Makes us more whole.

• Agree 1

I would suggest that the point isn’t to get the ball out of Josh’s hands more quickly with short passes.  That takes away what he does best.

When you have a thoroughbred, you don’t enter him in harness races.

And again, NO to Gronk.  I couldn’t care less that his family still has a business in Buffalo.  He’s a tool who tried to end Tre’s career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Let’s stick with modern football 

11 personnel as our dominant offense

i don't want to go backwards in time. 

Peyton Manning and his high flying passing offenses ran a ton of 12. If both TE's are good receivers AND good enough blockers, it balances the formation to where the defense can't really cheat to one side, creating an advantage.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, eball said:

I would suggest that the point isn’t to get the ball out of Josh’s hands more quickly with short passes.  That takes away what he does best.

When you have a thoroughbred, you don’t enter him in harness races.

And again, NO to Gronk.  I couldn’t care less that his family still has a business in Buffalo.  He’s a tool who tried to end Tre’s career.

Agree... I like the idea of a talented #2 TE, but I'll just never like Gronk no matter what after the WWF style hit (but real lol) on Tre Day

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, while what you say may very well be factually correct I struggle to accecpt league wide rankings as evidence of proof (pro or con) of improvements needed.

When offering data the cumulative outcome needs to be set by an equal means. In other words, the data is often compmrised due to factors that are inconsistent on a team by team basis. (Weather, opponent, field type, key injuries).

That said, I used YAC as an example of any area that could stand improvement. Not saying that's the only one. Could have also mentioned cashing in in the red zone more amoungst other things.

In any event it will be interesting to see the areas that Dorsey can help improve the offense and what areas may take a step back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.