Dawson Knox - he improved greatly, but was it enough? 2022 is his contract year

Hapless Bills Fan

14 minutes ago, TPS said:

I'm not sure how easy it is to compare him to other TEs given he plays on a team with a WR corps of Diggs, Sanders, Beasely, McKenzie, and Davis? 

I also wonder if that broken hand might have still been bothering him when he came back.  

• Like (+1) 1

I like Knox. Both as a person and player. I think he’ll continue to improve. 

But for him to get a big payday, he’ll need to ramp up his production and consistency. As mentioned by Hapless, he can block, hasn’t fumbled and is a beast after the catch. 

Touches and what he does with them will determine his payday. I’d add another TE either way. We need one. 

• Like (+1) 2

His overall numbers are rather mediocre, aside from TDs, but he is a much bigger weapon than a mediocre TE. Knox actually plays TE, most of the other guys listed in this thread are actually just big WRs & don't line-up inline much, that's huge. The good news is, that he will likely be paid like a "pretty good TE", but has the potential for a 1,000 yard, 12 TD season.

• Like (+1) 2

He's good enough right now, the TE isn't a focal point for our offense but he's getting better every year. He's an absolute freak athlete and hasn't played TE position very long he probably just now has gotten the same amount of snaps that sophmore or rookie TEs have. The TE position takes a long time to master in the nfl. But once they do they seem to have long careers, kelce is 32 and still wrecking defenses, and Knox is much more athletic than kelce and gronk.

• Like (+1) 1

Well even though Knox is in his last year of his rookie contract I don't think Beane will sign him up for an extension unless

Knox and his agent want to tie it up for a reasonable number.  TEs usually go to the end of rookie contracts before signing.

As to his worth look no further than 2 FAs (Dalton Schultz, Mike Gesicki) this year will get $10M-$12M.

Guys like Uzomah, Njoku, Max Williams and Evan Engram will get $6M-$8M.

So, make your plans accordingly.

Personally, I don't think Knox is going anywhere.  They will draft a TE around the 5th round this year.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, 947 said:

His overall numbers are rather mediocre, aside from TDs, but he is a much bigger weapon than a mediocre TE. Knox actually plays TE, most of the other guys listed in this thread are actually just big WRs & don't line-up inline much, that's huge. The good news is, that he will likely be paid like a "pretty good TE", but has the potential for a 1,000 yard, 12 TD season.

How do you see him having the potential for a 1,000 yard season? He’s never cracked 600

8 minutes ago, 947 said:

Plus his td number could have easily been crazy. I could be wrong but I think Knox had 4 tds called back on penalties this year, and had quite a few targets in the end zone that he couldn't come down with

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

How do you see him having the potential for a 1,000 yard season? He’s never cracked 600

Maybe the new OC will game plan TE usage more?  Even so, Knox doesn't have to get to 1,000 to be a weapon teams Ds have

to worry about.  Is there any evidence that Daboll was a big TE game scheme OC?

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If Tyler Kroft cost roughly $6M/year to sign with Bills, then paying Knox $8M/year will be a steal.  The guy has become one of Josh’s favorite red zone targets.  What’s a better alternative?

I was just going to use Kroft as an example of what Beane is willing to pay.

Well done!

I think the Bills will see how Knox does in 2022 before making a judgement as to how badly they want to keep him. If he continues to break out the price they are willing to pay will go up if he regresses the price goes down pretty simple. Very fortunate to have one more year remaining on the rookie deal with him. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Maybe the new OC will game plan TE usage more?  Even so, Knox doesn't have to get to 1,000 to be a weapon teams Ds have

to worry about.  Is there any evidence that Daboll was a big TE game scheme OC?

I don’t know what the new OC will do. I was responding to the comment that Knox has the potential to put up top3 TE stats

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I don’t know what the new OC will do. I was responding to the comment that Knox has the potential to put up top3 TE stats

Sorry I missed that point in the thread.  I guess my point is Knox doesn't need to put up top 3 stats to be worth the money I think

he will sign for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Could do better and could do worse. He's probably an average #1 his whole career and a really really good # 2 so he's a tweener. The problem is he is the best TE the Bills have had in a long long time even though he's average. So Bills fans will tend to make him better than he really is. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.