Gunner's 2022 Mock Draft (v3 and FINAL - p.17!!)

GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, Process said:

Kumerow is a career special teamer. Hodgins is a former 6th round pick who has appeared in 1 game and has 0 career catches. Stevenson is awful and will not be playing WR in an NFL regular season game any time soon.

Again, we currently only have 3 WRs on the roster, one whose skills are declining and very likely won't be on the team.

Do you believe that is a fair analysis of M. Stevenson?   I will be a bit more patient and see what develops.   I have no opinion on Stevenson right now, but will be anxious to see what things look like in the fall.  

Hodgins may have been a miss.  

Edited by CNYfan
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane also said in his presser "Cole can still play in this league" if that isn't code for "his skills have declined but some team below us in the pecking order could probably still use him" I'm not sure what is.

Can't argue that i did here him say that too & it did make me stop & think for a minute what he might mean by saying that but personally i think his down turn in production was more because Sanders was here & they were giving him more reps at 1 point than Bease so i just think if given the same amount of playing time Bease could still do very well with Josh pulling the trigger .

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just think they value those positions more than receiver unfortunately.

Probably, but if they value their elite qb they will change their strategy to allow Josh to thrive with less risk to his body. Adding explosiveness  and YAC at WR takes away from having to use Josh as the first option on fourth down must have plays -- though probably in the playoffs he will and maybe should revert to that much of the time. I sure hope the reaction to the 13 second debacle is not a turtle, let's go get defense response. That would be doubling down on the mentality that got them in trouble in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, entropyrules said:

Gunner-just a great analysis - thanks for the work you put in.

Not sure its a good idea to take an injured player - too much of a roll of the dice. Would rather see the Bills try and move up and get Jordan Davis. The Bills need a corner desperately but if Davis is the real deal that will help take some pressure off the corners. I am hoping that Beane packages those late round picks and tries to move up so there are about 5 picks between the 1st and 4th rounds. As seen by last year they simply can't hang onto all their picks so go for quality rather than quantity.

If they do hang onto those late round picks please draft a punter!!! I hope they never have to use him but as seen this season that position can be critical to winning a game.

A wide receiver here seems like a luxury pick. I'm not sure we need to go there when the Bills have other pressing needs. I guess it comes down to the doctor's evaluation and if he's that far of the best available player. 

Edited by newcam2012

4 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Do you believe that is a fair analysis of M. Stevenson?   I will be a bit more patient and see what develops.   I have no opinion on Stevenson right now, but will be anxious to see what things look like in the fall.  

Reports all training camp were that he looked awful.

And to say he looked awful returning kicks this season would be generous.

I’m all for getting more weapons for Josh, but based strictly off highlights, it would be tough to walk by Trevor Penning.

If he gets down to 25, Beane’s picking finger might get a mind of it’s own.

op —- thanks for all the work.

Edited by hemma

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

A wide receiver here seems like a luxury pick. I'm not sure we need to go there when the Bills have other pressing needs. I guess it comes down to the doctor's evaluation and if he's that far of the best available player. 

If we move off Beasley, it’s absolutely not a luxury pick.   Even if we keep him, it’s really not.  

Thats the mentality that Green Bay took with Rodgers.  

KC turns over every stone to get Mahomes YAC gods and speed at every skill position, but drafting a 1st Round WR for our guy is a bridge too far?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

This is the problem. We are expecting 6th rounders to hit. It’s not fair to call a 6th rounder a miss. They are usually cut or relegated to special teams when drafted by good teams. 

You basically laid out the exact reason why we need to target offense early. We need true talents that have a chance to contribute early and often and not bounce around on special teams and the practice squad. 

I’m just a little more than tired hearing about how the offense isn’t an issue when it’s beyond clear that Allen is doing everything on his own. He needs help. Period. Get him some weapons to go along with Diggs, knox, and potentially Davis. 

Let’s fill in the cracks on defense in the mid rounds and free agency for once. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Probably, but if they value their elite qb they will change their strategy to allow Josh to thrive with less risk to his body. Adding explosiveness  and YAC at WR takes away from having to use Josh as the first option on fourth down must have plays -- though probably in the playoffs he will and maybe should revert to that much of the time. I sure hope the reaction to the 13 second debacle is not a turtle, let's go get defense response. That would be doubling down on the mentality that got them in trouble in the first place.

This is my fear as well. McD is a defensive guy and unless he takes ownership of the 13 second debacle, I’ll bet he will try to convince Beane he needs more playmakers on defense. Meanwhile, the offense will have to settle for projects and mid rounders that they hope will pan out. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Process said:

Kumerow is a career special teamer. Hodgins is a former 6th round pick who has appeared in 1 game and has 0 career catches. Stevenson is awful and will not be playing WR in an NFL regular season game any time soon.

Again, we currently only have 3 WRs on the roster, one whose skills are declining and very likely won't be on the team.

I just don't think WR is a position that you draft a player in the first round that's just me . Hodgins was thought to be a good get & possibly better than Davis when drafted & really hasn't had much of a chance to develop due to injury, covid, & who he had to compete against for playing time .

Being a 6th rounder to me does't mean a lot Davis was a 5th round pick then there are players like Brady so you never know what he might be able to do if given a full off season & health to get time with Josh .

Yes Beasley is getting older but i think still has some gas in the tank and it could be a plus during the transition to a new OC, Kumero well yes he is a ST player but there may be something there if Rogers wanted him & he too hasn't been able to get on the field because of others .

I think Beane will do his thing & make the most of his picks & FA with the Saints having to have a fire sale due to the cap & other players becoming FA i'm sure he will fill the WR room with people that Josh can go to .

17 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

WR is un underrated area of need. Could see that happening and maybe a move up in the 2nd to grab CB. 

I don’t think it’s underrated at all. Sanders is gone and Cole may be gone as well. We’d have Diggs, Gabe and not much else

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Beasley is old and to be quite honest Diggs probably only has a few top seasons left. As soon as he loses just half a step, he's JAG. I love the dude but he's kind of an overachiever and not truely elite.  Another guy who would give us a new flavor would be London from USC. He is kinda like a less muscled up Mike Evans and I could just imagine the nightmares he would create on Josh's extended plays.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t think it’s underrated at all. Sanders is gone and Cole may be gone as well. We’d have Diggs, Gabe and not much else

Why the heck can’t people see this? But, but, but…we need to keep drafting defense to stop Mahomes!!!!

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, T master said:

I just don't think WR is a position that you draft a player in the first round that's just me . Hodgins was thought to be a good get & possibly better than Davis when drafted & really hasn't had much of a chance to develop due to injury, covid, & who he had to compete against for playing time .

Being a 6th rounder to me does't mean a lot Davis was a 5th round pick then there are players like Brady so you never know what he might be able to do if given a full off season & health to get time with Josh .

Yes Beasley is getting older but i think still has some gas in the tank and it could be a plus during the transition to a new OC, Kumero well yes he is a ST player but there may be something there if Rogers wanted him & he too hasn't been able to get on the field because of others .

I think Beane will do his thing & make the most of his picks & FA with the Saints having to have a fire sale due to the cap & other players becoming FA i'm sure he will fill the WR room with people that Josh can go to .

In general I agree with you.  

If you’re drafting where we typically will be, probably not a ton of difference between taking a WR in the late 1st or 2nd.. maybe even 3rd/4th some years.  All depends on the player, QB and fit.  

College just churns out so many good WRs now. 

That said, Jameson Williams is likely a top 10 pick if he didn’t tear his ACL. If he’s there, I think that’s how a team like us, gets a guy like him.  

We should really get Josh someone with elite traits at the skill positions other than him.  Whether that’s speed and/or size.   Knox has high level traits as a TE, but that’s the closest we have to elite traits anywhere at WR/TE/RB. Diggs is an elite route runner… I guess we could expand to include this. 

In theory though, I get it.  Jets took Denzel Mims in the 2nd and dude’s production doesn’t hold a candle to 4th RD Gabriel Davis. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Beasley is old and to be quite honest Diggs probably only has a few top seasons left. As soon as he loses just half a step, he's JAG. I love the dude but he's kind of an overachiever and not truely elite.  Another guy who would give us a new flavor would be London from USC. He is kinda like a less muscled up Mike Evans and I could just imagine the nightmares he would create on Josh's extended plays.

Exactly. Our offense isn’t as elite as it’s led to believe. Allen is an animal and is literally the entire offense. He makes throws no one else can and is our best running back. This staff needs to get a clue and takes some of the burden off him. 

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I guess I meant that it's an underrated priority, at least it seems to me. Almost all mocks I've looked at had our biggest needs as IOL, CB, DL, RB. WR might actually be the biggest area of need above all else. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.