Do you really want a rookie Offensive Coordinator ?

HOUSE

Now is not the time to fool around with an experiment hoping the next guy can do the job. This is a high powered offense and defenses around the NFL will come up with new strategy to stop it. There is a learning curve here, do you have the necessary  patience ?

Sure you do.....😁, We are a very forgiving bunch here....:sick:

Enter a rookie OC.....Should I run or pass, how about a trick play, OMG ! There is a lot of Pressure on a young coach and everybody is watching, one bad game then the fans make excuses " Well, hes a young guy, still learning you know"

image.png.855fa640bcfd2eba2449a085a9d85dfc.png

Sorry Guys, I want an experienced OC with a proven track record. The Next guy needs to be an upgrade over Daboll, not a settled for rookie

Time is wasting away, the window won't be open forever...Rookie coaches are for expansion teams or bottom feeders, not a Superbowl Contender

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

The thing is we don't know who has been groomed to take over.

What we do know or should expect from this regime is that they were/are prepared and ready for this day.....it was inevitable.

Edited by JMF2006
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

I just put this in the Dorsey thread, and I think it has strong relevance here. I tend to agree with you House, we do not want any experiments or unknown quantities. Furthermore . . .

"If Dorsey does move on, I wonder (worry a bit) how that affects Josh Allen?

Exhibit A: I am reminded of the quick downward spiral of the Texans when they did not hire the guy Watson wanted. I realize there were a bunch of other factor there, but my point is that you want the organization to do everything they can to keep your star player's emotional psyche in balance. Allen has alway talked about how Daboll was more than a Coach to him. It appears (from the outside) he has a similar relationship with Dorsey. I worry how it will affect him if both go.

Exhibit B: Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers is uber talented, but it appears (by the results) that his on-the-edge psyche, along with his abrasive personality, does not play well on his teammates over the course of a long season. It seems the Packer have done everyhting wrong in keep him happy and content, and the team has paid for it.

I think Allen is built on a much stronger platform than these two examples, but I do not want the Bills to test that either. I do hope McDermott and Beane are serious when they discussed that Josh would be involved in the process. He has to be fully on board with whatever they end up doing."

My Point: Whomever it is, they have to connect fast and well with #17.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

Hire the best guy, experience as an OC is not required, eliminating that entire population would be a mistake.

The best possible guy will have OC experience and there are some guys out there.

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The best possible guy will have OC experience and there are some guys out there.

I think it would be wrong to implement a completely new system.

We got a good one  though it might need a few tweeks

• Agree 4

@HOUSE you make a good point.  I was initially all aboard the “keep Dorsey!” train, but continuity and familiarity are not always the best answers to move forward.  I am not concerned that McD will try to bring in an OC to turn this into a run-centric offense.  He made his point to Daboll that the Bills needed to be able to run in order to keep teams honest, but I believe he has embraced today’s NFL offense and knows he can’t waste Allen’s talents.

The bottom line is that we don’t know what Dorsey’s playcalling philosophy would be.  Or maybe we do — Daboll is known for welcoming input, so perhaps we’ve already seen a bit of what Dorsey thinks.  He was a very smart player as a QB.  I’m sure this is a part of the interview/discussion process.

Part of me thinks Dorsey would be foolish not to want to stay in Buffalo and continue to work with Josh…if things go well then in two years he’d be a HC candidate.  But he might feel as though Allen would get all the credit and he wants to make a name for himself coaching a less established offense — and let’s face it, the Giants have been bad, but they do have some nice pieces.

The downside of bringing in someone new is that Josh (and the team) has to learn a new offense — terminology, etc. — which always brings a learning curve.  The personality of who is brought in matters a great deal as well — we don’t want a my-way-or-the-highway kind of guy.  Josh should be a big part of designing the offense and determining what plays are run each week.

Truth be told, I think Josh is smart enough to call his own plays, with a coach he would meet with between drives to look at the film and make adjustments.  Wouldn’t that be something.

End of the day, I agree with your overall premise that we can’t afford to go backwards and waste the talents of #17.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Now is not the time to fool around with an experiment hoping the next can do the job. This is a high powered offense and defenses around the NFL will come up with new strategy to stop it. There is a learning curve here, do you have the necessary  patience ?

Enter a rookie OC.....

Sorry Guys, I want an experienced OC with a proven track record. The Next guy needs to be an upgrade over Daboll, not a settled for rookie

Time is wasting away, the window won't be open forever...Rookie coaches are for expansion teams or bottom feeders, not a Superbowl Contender

Who would you rank higher? Having a list will allow us to tear your argument to bits and shove it down your throat.😠

Seriously though, McD and B know Dorsey better than anyone. They've also been around the game for a long time so the relationships they have built will lead them to the next guy. Trust the process (as long as there are more than 13 seconds available).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

@HOUSE you make a good point.  I was initially all aboard the “keep Dorsey!” train, but continuity and familiarity are not always the best answers to move forward.  I am not concerned that McD will try to bring in an OC to turn this into a run-centric offense.  He made his point to Daboll that the Bills needed to be able to run in order to keep teams honest, but I believe he has embraced today’s NFL offense and knows he can’t waste Allen’s talents.

The bottom line is that we don’t know what Dorsey’s playcalling philosophy would be.  Or maybe we do — Daboll is known for welcoming input, so perhaps we’ve already seen a bit of what Dorsey thinks.  He was a very smart player as a QB.  I’m sure this is a part of the interview/discussion process.

Part of me thinks Dorsey would be foolish not to want to stay in Buffalo and continue to work with Josh…if things go well then in two years he’d be a HC candidate.  But he might feel as though Allen would get all the credit and he wants to make a name for himself coaching a less established offense — and let’s face it, the Giants have been bad, but they do have some nice pieces.

The downside of bringing in someone new is that Josh (and the team) has to learn a new offense — terminology, etc. — which always brings a learning curve.  The personality of who is brought in matters a great deal as well — we don’t want a my-way-or-the-highway kind of guy.  Josh should be a big part of designing the offense and determining what plays are run each week.

Truth be told, I think Josh is smart enough to call his own plays, with a coach he would meet with between drives to look at the film and make adjustments.  Wouldn’t that be something.

End of the day, I agree with your overall premise that we can’t afford to go backwards and waste the talents of #17.

BRING ON THE "J-GUN" ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I should change my user name to OC Tom ;)

I could get hired ;)

Might as well open this board to a 'Be the OC!' contest.  Bills Mafia is probably too biased a base to work from, but at TSW, we truly run the gamut of opinions and skills regarding coaching.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

S

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Should Dorsey go to the Giants he will have the advantage of having the experience of Brian Daboll. Dorsey in Buffalo will have McD. Who was never an offensive coordinator. I like Dorsey, but it is a gamble

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Might as well open this board to a 'Be the OC!' contest.  Bills Mafia is probably to biased a base to work from, but at TSW, we truly run the gamut of opinions and skills regarding coaching.

There is no way I would ever want the job even if I was semi qualified. :)

• Haha (+1) 1

If Dorsey is the guy, I’m in full support. There are other factors as important than OC “experience.” No outside OC will know the players as well, have watched every snap, who understands tendencies, saw what worked and what hasn’t, has the trust of players and coaches, knows the system, etc. 

IMO, for over a year, the Bills have evaluated Dorsey and their internal staff for just this decision. So far, all the chatter from management, coaches and players point to only one candidate. If there was any doubt about Dorsey’s qualifications, I think the Bills would have hinted that it’s an open process. 

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Were it to open up, there would be some clamouring to bring back Robert Foster, and getting Rosen's agent on the phone.

I would bring back Trent as BU....we have His and Hers jerseys in the closet still ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

I am sure, quite sure that this is on the minds of Brandon Beane & Sean McDermott. A gamble could be a disaster.

Sure, Dorsey "Might work out just fine" but after the last game and the pressure on both of them MIGHT result in an experienced option.

We Shall see

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Now is not the time to fool around with an experiment hoping the next can do the job. This is a high powered offense and defenses around the NFL will come up with new strategy to stop it. There is a learning curve here, do you have the necessary  patience ?

Enter a rookie OC.....

So you wanna keep recycling the same crop of fired head coaches and offensive coordinators because that’s all that’s left out there?

1 minute ago, streetkings01 said:

So you wanna keep recycling the same crop of fired head coaches and offensive coordinators because that’s all that’s left out there?

Recycling is good, it saves the environment

• Haha (+1) 1

Give it to Dorsey.  If for no other reason than I don't want McD choosing an offensive coordinator.   Dorsey is all offense, all the time.  the bills are close; don't take a chance on getting another Rick Dennison.  

His hiring of Rick Dennison had to be one of the worst hires the world's ever seen.  Never let a defensive oriented guy pick the OC.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

I am sure, quite sure that this is on the minds of Brandon Beane & Sean McDermott. A gamble could be a disaster.

Sure, Dorsey "Might work out just fine" but after the last game and the pressure on both of them MIGHT result in an experienced option.

We Shall see

Every hired coach is a “gamble.” Which OC candidate is not?

Who is most likely to have a productive working relationship with the current staff and coaches? Who is most likely to adapt to the talent on the roster? Who is most likely to have system that can be implemented effectively? 

There are many great football minds but that’s only one consideration in coaching hires. 

• Like (+1) 1

We are not going to a run centric offense. You do that when you have a Jonathon Taylor or Derrick Henry, not our backs. That’s not to say A good runnjng game would be helpful to Josh though. It just won’t be our focus. 

There has got to be some smart minds out there that would be chomping at the bit to work with Josh. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ProcessTruster said:

Give it to Dorsey.  If for no other reason than I don't want McD choosing an offensive coordinator.   Dorsey is all offense, all the time.  the bills are close; don't take a chance on getting another Rick Dennison.  

His hiring of Rick Dennison had to be one of the worst hires the world's ever seen.  Never let a defensive oriented guy pick the OC.  

This logic makes little sense. McDermott hired Daboll. You may want to review the history of the Dennison hire. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

Every hired coach is a “gamble.” Which OC candidate is not?

Who is most likely to have a productive working relationship with the current staff and coaches? Who is most likely to adapt to the talent on the roster? Who is most likely to have system that can be implemented effectively? 

There are many great football minds but that’s only one consideration in coaching hires. 

Its less of a gamble IF the Head Coach has OC experience , McD does not, JMO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.