What would you like to see from next years offense/ new OC?

warrior9

All I want is for the next OC to find a consistent identity and stick with what works on a game to game basis. Don't change things up just for the sake of changing things up. My biggest problem with Daboll last year is that he found the offense's identity at least three separate times, and inexplicably lost it again the following week. Then there was the Chiefs game where everyone watching knew that Allen was in the zone and Daboll still took it out of his hands on two critical 3rd downs in a game where we had no room for error on offense. Everyone talks about the last 13 seconds but those two wasted drives were just as responsible for the loss. When the next OC calls plays on critical drives in critical games I want to feel like there's a good reason behind it, instead of feeling like the play call was pulled out of a hat.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, warrior9 said:

3) Pushing the ball downfield, attack the 10-15 yard area: With the emergence of Knox, I’d like to see us use him more and him get more targets in the middle of the field. It also seemed as though that we didn’t throw the ball down field as much this year, in my opinion. 

4) Gabe Davis.

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

3) and 4) especially for me. Allen has turned into a superb thrower on intermediate (10-20 yrds) routes. I’d like to see the next guy incorporate more opportunities for deep passes though. Granted, that may necessitate getting a true “burner” type WR in the building, but Allen has shown he can make those deep throws easily (I think back to early in the season, where Sanders was utilized on deep patterns really well.)

Davis absolutely needs to be involved next year. He needs 90%+ of the offensive snaps. He’s proven everything he needs to prove.

So to me, it's an unanswered question: why did the intermediate passing game that was so successful last year, fundamentally disappear this season?

I have not watched nearly the amount of all-22 I watched last season for {reasons} and I don't have quick "football eyes" to pull the most info out of commercial broadcast film, so take this as a caveat.

My hunch is that early in the season, it had to do with the complete absence of the run game.  We struggled to maintain a run game last year against good OLs with the zone runs which had come to predominate, and with the predictability of playcalling with down distance and formation (running from under center and passing from the shotgun, but even more pronounced with down and distance). 

We didn't do a thing to fix that off-season: in fact, from Game 1, we seemed to come out with the philosophy that we were going to go 4 and 5 wide, empty backfields, and lay a laser light show (passing attack) on opponents.  The premise of the off-season seemed to be "teams can take away Diggs and bracket Beasley over the middle, but they won't be able to take away Diggs and Sanders or bracket Beasley and Sanders over the middle.  Our passing game is gonna be 🔥🔥🔥 and we don't need no stinkin' run game".  Or maybe the idea was with a healthier Feliciano and Ford, we would actually be able to execute zone runs up the middle?

Well, surprise - the response of defenses, starting with Pittsburgh and continuing with Jacksonville later in the season was: "we know you want to come at us in the passing game, we know you don't want to (and maybe can't) run - so ***** run defense.  We're gonna rush 3 or 4 but still get home by stunting or showing rush then dropping defenders in coverage (but you don't know who) so we overload one or the other side of the line.  Meanwhile we keep 2 safeties over the top and blanket the intermediate passes with 5 defenders.  We're not worried about the short stuff - we know Josh Allen is constitutionally adverse to taking them."

That's the template Pittsburgh laid out in Week 1 and other teams copied (again, caveat above).  They weren't subtle about it either.  Both Pittsburgh's DC and Urban Meyer sketched out what they saw on a cocktail napkin before the games.

At the end of the season, we returned to more gap/pin pull runs and we also started to use Allen on designed runs, and that gouged defenses and stopped them from being able to say ""***** run defense, we don't need no stinking run defense" and dropping back into coverage/stunting to overload one side of the line.  If you listen to Mitch Morse's press conference after the Jacksonville loss, he pretty well acknowledges what they were dealing with.

IMHO, the biggest development that needs to happen is to re-open the intermediate passing game where Allen is so deadly.  To support this, I think we need to keep growing the run game and becoming more seamless about our run/pass playcalling tendencies from different formations so that we become more unpredictable.  Allen needs to develop his judgement in 'taking what the defense gives you" to take the short checkdown.  We need to continue to develop our OL as well, but no OL is going to hold up when defenders say "***** run defense" and feel empowered to leave chunks of the field undefended.

It would be great to have a fast deep threat, but even the fastest deep threat needs good protection to hold up in order to keep the QB on his feet and unaffected long enough to execute precisely. 

So that's why I think the above is the priority.  If we can protect and pick teams apart over the middle, the deep balls will come open.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd like us not to rip up the scheme. So keel the E-P. 

And I absolutely, desperately do NOT want to see a "commitment to running the ball". 

If McDermott hires a run first coordinator then I will be off the McDermott train for the first time. This team needs to ride with Josh Allen. Do not take the ***** ball out of his hands any more than absolutely ***** necessary.  

I agree all day with this.

Lets try to find someone that is on-spot in calling a passing type offense. We get a run first guy and I think it will be curtains moving forward.

And I absolutely, desperately do NOT want to see a "commitment to running the ball". 

If McDermott hires a run first coordinator then I will be off the McDermott train for the first time. This team needs to ride with Josh Allen. Do not take the ***** ball out of his hands any more than absolutely ***** necessary.  

Lets try to find someone that is on-spot in calling a passing type offense. We get a run first guy and I think it will be curtains moving forward.

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So to me, it's an unanswered question: why did the intermediate passing game that was so successful last year, fundamentally disappear this season?

So that's why I think the above is the priority.  If we can protect and pick teams apart over the middle, the deep balls will come open.

I didn’t want to quote all since it was long but … a lot of what confused me was how oddly Diggs was used. He was RARELY over the middle, no drags, dig routes, posts, mesh, cross, slants, etc. we didnt give him the opportunity at YAC. Felt like all of his catches were hitches. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

I didn’t want to quote all since it was long but … a lot of what confused me was how oddly Diggs was used. He was RARELY over the middle, no drags, dig routes, posts, mesh, cross, slants, etc. we didnt give him the opportunity at YAC. Felt like all of his catches were hitches. 

Note how many times our receivers are at a dead stop, turned, and facing back to the QB when they catch the ball.  It's hard to go anywhere when that's the case.

Watch Diggs in particular.  The moment he catches the ball at least 75% of the time, he immediately braces for a tackle, defends the ball, and sort of concedes the option of fighting for extra yards.  

That's not a knock on Diggs--it's just the reality that most of the time, continuing the play beyond the catch is not an option, he realizes that, and so he just protects the ball, protects against injury, and sort of goes into a defensive posture.

That can all be greatly improved.

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Note how many times our receivers are at a dead stop, turned, and facing back to the QB when they catch the ball.  It's hard to go anywhere when that's the case.

Watch Diggs in particular.  The moment he catches the ball at least 75% of the time, he immediately braces for a tackle, defends the ball, and sort of concedes the option of fighting for extra yards.  

That's not a knock on Diggs--it's just the reality that most of the time, continuing the play beyond the catch is not an option, he realizes that, and so he just protects the ball, protects against injury, and sort of goes into a defensive posture.

More crossers and work over the middle in general sounds good on paper..........but when your QB throws seeds like Josh Allen........being just a little off can lead to turnovers.     I'm fairly certain this is why they've operated that way since Allen got here.   Nobody is more aware of this than Sean McDermott.......whose defense is built around the idea of causing those kinds of turnovers on tips and overthrows.

Now if you have Tom Brady or even the now version of Aaron Rodgers(man has he lost a lot of mobility).........then you gotta' throw those passes into the middle of the field and try to get non-RAC guys lots of RAC yards by leading them to daylight to put the ball in the end zone.

The Bills do not have to do that with the multi-dimensional Allen.........they can afford to not get RAC and still score a bunch against most opponents.

But they'd be better with A LOT more RAC when the get in shootouts with guys like Mahomes and Burrow(with his unreal WR corps).

So how do you get more RAC while not exposing your offense to more turnovers?   Adding an explosive, quick and fast target to fill in the gaps between Diggs short route mastery and Davis long-striding deep ball capability.

With all due respect to Diggs,   he was never the kind of player I am talking bout............and he is by far the Bills most explosive player in the receiving corp right now.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

No other qb called their own plays when Kelly was calling his plays either.  So what is your point?

The NFL is not the same game now as then. I am all for Josh having even more autonomy at the line but calling his own plays? There is nothing at all that indicates to me that is a good idea. 

A running back who gets 1,000 yards as the lead back and averages 4.2-5.0 yards a carry

Allen to run 350 yards or less during the regular season

More aggressively going for it on 4th down at the 50 yard line or into the other team's territory.

Continued increase use of short screens as part of the offense

Having confidence the OL can pound the ball into the endzone when Allen is having a "B" level passing game day.

A mauling interior OL

Keep the play action philosophy

Use the 6th OL more on short yardge situations 

Play a little more aggressively against teams where Bills are the better team.

If Dorsey is not the OC, then pay Dorsey close to OC money to keep the QB continuity.

Edited by Wizard
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Agree 100%. We need to get our receivers in space. 

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

While I don’t wanna see a ball run dominant offense it would not kill this team to run it a little more than it does I cringe every time I watch a plan design run from Josh Allen not the ones where he runs when nobody is open he’s great at that I’m talking about the ones we keeps the ball and he runs it so that he can take a smack from the defense we will only go so far as Josh Allen Takes us

On 1/28/2022 at 9:42 PM, warrior9 said:

With word Daboll is gone, I want to reflect on what I think we can improve on schematically in our next offense. 

For me:

1) Utilization of Diggs: We rarely saw Diggs motion in to the slot, we RARELY saw crossing routes(which blows my mind), and most of his routes seemed to be outs and hitches. 

2) Less predictability in the run game: it seemed at though every time we were under center, it was a dive or we knew it was a run. I’d like to see more zones, motions(from FB/ TE), and plays that confuse using WR motions, misdirection. Etc

3) Pushing the ball downfield, attack the 10-15 yard area: With the emergence of Knox, I’d like to see us use him more and him get more targets in the middle of the field. It also seemed as though that we didn’t throw the ball down field as much this year, in my opinion. 

4) Gabe Davis.

Love this breakdown. 

Wonder if Chad Hall would be the guy to push this WR-centric offensive growth? (I'm a Dorsey guy, FWIW.) I know he's got more credibility WITHIN NFL team circles than he does in popular forums, like TBD. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.