Brian Daboll hired to be Head Coach of NY Giants

Draconator

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

It cuts both ways- if an org fails a guy more than a year or two it gets hard for him to get the repetitions in practice to recover from a bad start. 

once you’ve picked up some bad habits it takes time and good reps to fix them and that’s one thing that young qbs don’t get a whole lot of once they are off track 

The only 1 of the 3 QBs mentioned whose reps were diminished was Rosen.  Most 1st round busts played their way down the depth chart, they got plenty of reps until the team could see they were busts.  They failed the organiztion, not the other way.  As far as Rosen goes, he claims to have seen the error of his ways, but he was really bad when the Falcons put him in at garbage time.

An example of someone who never got a chance was 2nd rounder Christian Hackenberg.  He was so bad in practice & preseason games that he never played a down in his 2 years with the Jets.  It was as if the Jets were afraid to put him in a game.  He then ended up in the short-lived AAF and was as bad as his preseason Jets games & got benched before the league folded.  

Here's a good article from last November on Rosen.  I actually had hopes he makes it after reading the article, but he almost certainly has no chance of ever fulfilling the promise that made him the 10th pick of the 2018 draft .https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32706881/josh-rosen-finds-peace-perspective-atlanta-mentor-rich-gannon  This is the part that stands out why Rosen failed prior organizations:  

That Rosen is figuring this out now is also an admission of what he failed to do early in his career. Since he has been in Atlanta, he has said there are things he wishes he had done differently in his earlier stops. Some of that went into how he did -- and didn't -- prepare. 

Too often, he was concerned about what the other team might try to do -- sacrificing the time he needed to make sure he knew his team's own game plan well enough to be able to then use the nuances within it to solve what defenses might throw at him.

The last two seasons, watching Tom Brady and then Ryan, helped show him the value in approaching that first.

"I wasn't studying our game plan enough," Rosen said. "And here I've been doing that a bunch more and it just allows you to play really quick and operate and know your progression in your sleep. Like dream about those pass pictures.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I didn't think a team could refuse permission for an assistant to interview for a coordinator position

At least, with Dorsey, the question of permission/refusal didn't seem to arise.

I also don't keep up - didn't realize that Keith Butler (Steelers DC) had retired in January.

I believe you’re right, they can’t refuse permission here 

On 2/2/2022 at 12:44 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And there they are

That’s his 3rd wife I think 

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s his 3rd wife I think 

Second, I think.  At least if you google "Brian Daboll second wife" she comes up.  But who's counting? (The kids are his, hers, and theirs, 2 each)

https://nypost.com/2022/02/04/brian-dabolls-wife-talks-his-personality-how-they-met-family-life/

Some of her stories though LOL

During his days as the offensive coordinator in Buffalo, Daboll used to have his players and coaches over to the house for an impromptu barbecue and a swim in the backyard pool. These events happened so randomly that Beth sometimes would have no idea until a bunch of hungry 300-pound men turned up at their home. 

“This man will see one of his guys at a grocery store and he’ll be like, ‘Hey, come on over, let’s grill steaks,’ ” Beth Daboll said. “One time, I was in the backyard in my bathing suit swimming with the kids, no makeup on, hair in a bun and 40 guys walk into the yard and said, ‘Dabes said to come on over.’ 

During his days as the offensive coordinator in Buffalo, Daboll used to have his players and coaches over to the house for an impromptu barbecue and a swim in the backyard pool. These events happened so randomly that Beth sometimes would have no idea until a bunch of hungry 300-pound men turned up at their home. 

“This man will see one of his guys at a grocery store and he’ll be like, ‘Hey, come on over, let’s grill steaks,’ ” Beth Daboll said. “One time, I was in the backyard in my bathing suit swimming with the kids, no makeup on, hair in a bun and 40 guys walk into the yard and said, ‘Dabes said to come on over.’ 

I am so surprised that NFLPA has not penalized Bills for Daboll with all of his offseason contact.

Beth and Brian met in 2006 at a bar in Buffalo. Brian was celebrating his 30th birthday with some buddies and Beth was out with some girlfriends on their way to see a local band. 

That is so a Buffalo story.  He was a coach for New England then.

• New England Patriots (2002–2006) Wide receivers coach
  • New York Jets (2007–2008) Quarterbacks coach

“We came here [to Buffalo] for the last four years of their lives,’’ she said. “We got to see them constantly. He always felt it would be so hard to leave them there, knowing that could be the last time he sees them. It’s like God took them intentionally so Brian could move on with his life. 

Good luck (except in Superbowl vs Bills) the man I called Coach Diabolical. 

Edited by Limeaid

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I am so surprised that NFLPA has not penalized Bills for Daboll with all of his offseason contact.

The coaches and players are prohibited from football related activities together.  They can’t discuss the playbook, watch film together, hold workouts, or other “football related activities”.  If Daboll chooses to invite 40 of his closest 300 lb friends over to devour chunks of grilled steer and pound beers, the NFL has nothing to say about the choices they make in their daily social lives.  

But this was probably during the pre-season or June OTAs

6 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

He schemes plays.  He makes diagrams.  He cheers on the offensive players.

What did he do in the PATS game at home, the Jags game away, the Steelers here or the Indy fiasco???  No answers?

He's benefited by a very special NFL QB.  IF the special QB can't execute he's just another guy on the staff.

This is his history -

How many positions did he keep for just 1 year??

William & Mary (1997)
Volunteer assistant

Michigan State (1998–1999)
Graduate assistant

New England Patriots (2000–2001)
Defensive assistant

New England Patriots (2002–2006)
Wide receivers coach

New York Jets (2007–2008)
Quarterbacks coach

Cleveland Browns (2009–2010)
Offensive coordinator

Miami Dolphins (2011)
Offensive coordinator

Kansas City Chiefs (2012)
Offensive coordinator

New England Patriots (2013–2016)
Tight ends coach

Alabama (2017)
Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach

Buffalo Bills (2018–2021)
Offensive coordinator

New York Giants (2022–present)
Head coach

After this career he deserves BIG MONEY - -   but he isn't a Head Coach! 

Guess we'll find out, not having a QB will doom him regardless, unless he is a QB wizard and can transform Jones or whoever.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Guess we'll find out, not having a QB will doom him regardless, unless he is a QB wizard and can transform Jones or whoever.

Yeah,  but……..

“He schemes plays.  He makes diagrams.  He cheers on the offensive players”. Then comes the LinkedIn section. 

You need a QB, then go from there. 

Time will tell indeed. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.