I would give Daboll and big raise and try to keep him

Miyagi-Do Karate

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Hes totally going to NY.

Not according to @Governor and his "friend who works for Mara"

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Daboll has probably the best job in the NFL. Offensive coordinator with total control over the offense. Stud QB. Coaches for and lives in home town. Job security and great ownership. 

i know he probably wants to give being a head coach a shot, but why not make the decision harder for him? Give him a raise and make him assistant head coach. 

That would also allow him to bide his time for a better HC job down the line. We would be saving him from the Giants, who are going nowhere. 

I don't think there are enough HC openings in the NFL to persuade a guy with a shot at one not to take it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

He's a in great spot with the Bills, but I don't see him foregoing an opportunity to be a NFL head coach.

You only get so many opportunities to be a head coach and when it's your turn, it's your turn. He worked his whole life to be in that spot, I don't see him turning it down.

51 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

it amazes me how much credibility Daboll gets without accountability

Kinda like Russ Brandon...

Every time I talked about how he was messing with the football side of the team... a dozen posters here would jump all over me. And now, seems like they are all now gone...like him, Thankfully! 

36 minutes ago, Luka said:

I would pack his desk for him. Play calling suspect, his run designs are awful. Josh is the only reason he's serviceable.

The guy was magical with the Buffalo Bills passing offense at times.

The problem is there is a whole lot more to an offense, so yea!

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Daboll has probably the best job in the NFL. Offensive coordinator with total control over the offense. Stud QB. Coaches for and lives in home town. Job security and great ownership. 

i know he probably wants to give being a head coach a shot, but why not make the decision harder for him? Give him a raise and make him assistant head coach. 

That would also allow him to bide his time for a better HC job down the line. We would be saving him from the Giants, who are going nowhere. 

During his weekly appearance on WGR-550 this week, Eric Wood suggested that the league is currently behind the times in their thinking on losing coordinators.

His point was that the loss of an OC like Daboll could be huge.  He suggested the day will come when teams learn to pay these guys "5 times" what they are making now, as an incentive to stay with the team and forget about that HC opportunity elsewhere.

It was suggested during the conversation that Daboll may be the SECOND MOST IMPORTANT PERSON in the entire organization, after Josh Allen.

It's an interesting thought---pay Daboll a ton and convince him to stay.

The problem is, he obviously has HC aspirations or he wouldn't have taken all these interviews last year and this year too.  He clearly has the ambition to become a HC.

So perhaps a massive pay increase would not keep him here...

...which raises an even more interesting question! 

SHOULD THE BILLS FIRE MCDERMOTT AND MAKE DABOLL THE HEAD COACH HERE?

Honestly, I don't think that would be a loss at all.  The system would continue as it has been which is hugely helpful to Josh, we'd still do everything the same way, and it is MUCH BETTER having an offensive guy as HC over a defensive guy to boot! 

Get rid of Frazier too and hire Vic Fangio to be the new DC, and let Daboll hire the OC of his choice and have a lot of say in what that OC does as well.

I think that's a REALLY interesting idea.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Eyeroll 1

Who doubts that Daboll's absolute dream job is to be HC of the Bills?

Maybe he's laying in the weeds and biding his time, even if it's years down the line.  In the meantime, he puts up with the horrible task of being OC with Allen as his QB, with the chance to win multiple rings for his hometown.

Sounds crazy, but how could a Buffalo boy not want that job with every fiber of his being?

Edited by BillnutinHouston
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Kinda like Russ Brandon...

Every time I talked about how he was messing with the football side of the team... a dozen posters here would jump all over me. And now, seems like they are all now gone...like him, Thankfully! 

The guy was magical with the Buffalo Bills passing offense at times.

The problem is there is a whole lot more to an offense, so yea!

"At times" - I love it! I would have fired Daboll after only putting up 6 points with Josh Allen as his QB against the Jags, he's literally sucked everywhere he's gone and has only benefitted from either being around Allen or Nick Saban's 5-star automatic National Championship printing machine. He's 18-46 as an NFL OC before he started working with Allen. Whichever team gets him will receive a good foist. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh said in his exit interview he'd love Dorsey to be the guy to take over OC if Daboll leaves.  I prefer new blood that operates the same system.

I'm sorry, Daboll infuriates me sometimes when he takes the ball out of Josh's hands multiple plays in a row.  We had a 3 and out where Josh handed off 3 times against the Chiefs.  We had a 3rd and 4 where we handed off to Singletary.

I get that he's done a lot of good things, but sometimes I think he's a better and more creative OC than Josh is a QB and playmaker.

• Like (+1) 1

Didn't he already got a big sum to stay last year?

It depends on if he's hired (doh) but also on what HE wants.

Not true everyone wants to be HC. You deal with a LOT of other stuff than football as a HC and maybe he doesn't want that. Of course, maybe he does. I'm just saying not all coordinators want to be HC.

I think most fans have been way too harsh on him, but Josh and McD have learned a LOT of what Daboll brings to the team in all these years. So his loss wouldn't be that tragic unless his replacement sucks.

I feel many Of Josh's throws are not scripted... unexpected rollout bombs down the field... Getting it done with his legs... Josh turned Daboll into a god... I want a OC that can design better running plays for the people we have and an OC that is more creative and has a better understanding that sometimes.... you need to just let Josh be Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

3rd quarter. Our defense forces a rare 3 and out on the Chiefs. Our offense gets the ball with great field position and a chance to take the lead.

Daboll proceeds to call 3 runs to someone not named Josh Allen. Needless to say, we go 3 and out...

Too many series like this throughout the seasons. I wish Daboll luck on his next team and I hope that team isn't the Buffalo Bills.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, somnus00 said:

3rd quarter. Our defense forces a rare 3 and out on the Chiefs. Our offense gets the ball with great field position and a chance to take the lead.

Daboll proceeds to call 3 runs to someone not named Josh Allen. Needless to say, we go 3 and out...

Too many series like this throughout the seasons. I wish Daboll luck on his next team and I hope that team isn't the Buffalo Bills.

Thank you for providing context to that ridiculous playcalling.

I agree and that's just one example we've had.  I won't be upset if he leaves or stays, honestly.

• Like (+1) 2

I personally don't care if all our CO's are gone after this season.... Josh Allen has carried this team in passing and running and that has to stop NOW... as in ASAP... 

Everyone talks about coaching choking in big games? What about our CO's gagging in big games? Lets list them just from the last game shall we?

1st Quarter play calling A. Going back to running between the C and G that rarely worked. B. Not letting Josh be Josh

Defense A. Struggle in big games B. horrible play calls on defense in big games.

Special teams not choosing to short kick or squib to take a second or 2 off.

I could continue to list but whats the point? We need to make changes at CO's and Draft better then last year.

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Wouldn't mind that at all.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I couldn't stand watching that...definitely a "WTF" moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.