The Great Squib Kickoff Controversy - Have reviewed the film like it was Zapruder

Billsfan1972

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Not kicking the low line drive was correct. 

Odds it gets downed immediately and probably already around the 30 are high.  

The high pop up inside the 10 had to be the call and the way Bass approached and followed thru that looked like what he was doing - but you can't temper your adrenaline like you're at a Friday walk thru

How? It was the exact same as every kick he did on Sunday.  The pop up is 3-4 yard approach.  Geez.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Squib kick is not a bad idea but there are risks: a good runback -- maybe one of those rugby-style plays with lateral passes.

A well-coached returner will immediately down the ball so maybe 1-2 secs runs off the clock.

By kicking deep Bills were showing faith in their D.

Yes they were, no doubt, but faith in a D that had played at best a mediocre game and has just let the Chiefs go 75 yards in a minute not long before that. The coaches then decided to make their tired defense's job even harder by calling the worst two defensive plays in Bill's playoff history.

Edited by Livinginthepast

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That's McD's responsibility to tell them to kick it short.  ST coach is to ensure that they play it right and tackle.

If I'm wrong as to their responsibility let me know.

Stay by the phone. I'm sure McDermott and Farwell will be getting back to you.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yea, so what. These circumstances were worlds different than what Bruce DeHaven failed to do. And Tennessee had to have a td on that kickoff. Andy had 3 timeouts and 13 seconds.  We played right into his hands. And hopefully this thread continues if for no other reason than annoy you.

“So what” is the fact that you really don’t know what would have happened….but I’m not saying don’t squib kick it. I actually think they should have. I’m just saying I think I know why they didn’t. But…I have ZERO idea why they played defense the way they did for thirteen seconds that followed. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How? It was the exact same as every kick he did on Sunday.  The pop up is 3-4 yard approach.  Geez.

Sean was covering for himself,  this nonsense of not throwing anyone under the bus is BS.  He called out Mackenzie for his fumble against the Colts,  just admit he screwed up final 3 plays before FG attempt. One of worse meltdowns in team history because it was not just one play but 3 in row.  He should be called out by media and just glad Jerry did

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Special teams coach blew the call I bet and McDermott is pissed.

It was McD's decision to make the kick to the end zone.  He had all the time in the world to make the call, to make a popup kick short and force them to field it.  He choose not to.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

It was McD's decision to make the kick to the end zone.  He had all the time in the world to make the call to make a pop kick short force them to field it.  He choose not to.

Joe Buscaglia just posted an article suggesting that McDermott's presser contains clues that he didn't want a kick to the EZ

McDermott fielded multiple questions about that exact premise and offered little in the way of a direct explanation. But he did serve up a pretty good hint that what occurred was not the planned option.

“Yeah, our execution, I wish was different,” McDermott said. “I’m still not going to get into the specifics on it. Again, it comes down to execution. We didn’t execute.”

What McDermott didn’t say is more important here. He did not say the team intended to kick through the end zone, instead used the vague term “execution.” The strong insinuation makes it appear wires were crossed. Given all of McDermott’s focus on improving the Bills’ special teams over the years, it makes sense that they’d want something different.

After all, this is a franchise under McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane that has kept, signed and drafted special-teams-specific players, putting far more resources into bettering that unit than most teams. They have routinely asked their kicker and kickoff coverage units to force an opponent to return a kick by kicking it just shy of the end zone. They’ve even done it in clutch moments of games through the season. They have one of the best kickers and kickoff coverage teams in the league. If they did so again Sunday, it would have forced the Chiefs into a much more dire situation to gain a bunch of yards on one play. That’s certainly more of a McDermott attention-to-detail play than just kicking it through the end zone. All of that logically points to McDermott wanting something different to happen.

Buy that?  Don't buy that?  Buscaglia does have a track record of speed-reading between the Bills lines and is sometimes wrong.

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

So Cover 1 just covered the fact that a Squib kick was called but Bass didnt get the call. Its shows on the kickoff that the Bills players were looking around like why was the ball kicked deep smh

Which Cover1 film room was this?  Or another of their shows

Was it this one?

Approx. timing appreciated

34 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Yes that is the episode: Time:About 5mins 30sec in

These might by the dumbest people on the internet.    "Yeah that was a good play on the D giving up a quick 20 yards, I can understand the call."   Yada Yada.   Miscommunication--- I love that.   In simple terms, somehow nobody told the guy kicking the ball not to kick it in the end zone.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'd like to see the all 22 and see bass's reaction when it went into the endzone. That might tell us something. Either way though, I don't think it really matters. Starting at the 25 yard line with 13 seconds gives little to no chance of getting in fg range. This was an epic fail for the defense. 

Also squibbing the kick and giving up worse field position (Let's say starting at the 38 yard line) also makes it so that they can get into field goal position possibly in one play and thus slimming the advantage. You can arrange it anyway you want in your head. What the Bills did wasn't the right move because it didn't work out. 

6 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

These might by the dumbest people on the internet.    "Yeah that was a good play on the D giving up a quick 20 yards, I can understand the call."   Yada Yada.   Miscommunication--- I love that.   In simple terms, somehow nobody told the guy kicking the ball not to kick it in the end zone.

Yeah I do not understand how everyone knew the call except for the person kicking the ball

6 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Squib kick is not a bad idea but there are risks: a good runback -- maybe one of those rugby-style plays with lateral passes.

A well-coached returner will immediately down the ball so maybe 1-2 secs runs off the clock.

By kicking deep Bills were showing faith in their D.

showing faith in their D was a huge error after the D was letting KC do whatever and then proceeded to intentionally leave the middle of the field open in prevent to a team with 3 TO’s.  

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

So Cover 1 just covered the fact that a Squib kick was called but Bass didnt get the call. Its shows on the kickoff that the Bills players were looking around like why was the ball kicked deep smh

So how do these Cover1 guys know this for a fact when McDermott is Stonewalling better than Andrew Jackson?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Steptide said:

Yes it matters. But let's say they squib it, kc grabs the ball and runs to the 40 with 9 seconds left, then Mahomes throws to kelce and they get in fg range. The end result is the same. My point was starting at the 25 with 13 seconds is an almost near impossible task to get down field. It was and epic fail on the defense to allow it to happen. 

Yep. It’s water under the bridge. Whining and complaining won’t help. Learn from this, and continue our upward trajectory. 

PERIOD. 

Edited by Augie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.