Leslie Frazier / Brian Daboll - If they go, who would you want as their replacement(s)?

Jester

Dorsey is the guy for me at OC and I expect that is the move given what McD & Allen said this week.

If they go another direction at OC and bring in a guy from outside the organization, you are likely to see Dorsey and one or two other offensive coaches leaving. This team does not need to revamp their offensive staff. 

If Frazier were to get a head coaching job elsewhere, my guess is that they promote from within on that side of the ball as well given how McD talked about wanting to promote from within and all the benefits that brings. DL coach Eric Washington has been a DC in the past and likely gets the job if Frazier leaves.

Edited by Jim Bob
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just connecting dots. Dorsey got most of his training and development under Shula and Chudzinski. I believe he even played for Chudz. Since Dorsey would be an inexperienced OC, I think the move is to bring in a more experienced guy to be the QB coaching working under Dorsey. Those two guys are connected to Dorsey and HC and readily available. 

OK, so you're talking about Dorsey was QB coach under Mike Shula as OC, on the Panthers 2013-2017.  I understand your logic.

Shula went on from there to be OC of the NY Giants, then QB coach of the Denver Broncos.  Meaning he's likely to be unemployed as the Ponies saddle up a new coaching staff.

I gotta say not impressed by the Broncos QB room - yeah, there's the question of talent, but they just don't seem sharp as far as how they're coached, and then there's the episode where Denver played without a QB in 2020 for one game, after the QBs put their Kinexion trackers in the far corners of the room so they could all sit together and watch film (the NFL found that out while reviewing the facility film on Saturday and that's why they were deaf to the Broncos pleas).

I think when you work under someone for 4 years then bring them in to work under you in a new job, it might not be too comfortable.  Shula would have to have a bit of the saint about him not to be second-guessing Dorsey and telling him how to do his new job, and Dorsey would have to be a bit of a saint not to take any feedback/input/sanity checking Shula might offer as second guessing or challenging him. 

Dorsey was a winning college QB from a big program with a Rose Bowl victory and did play in the NFL.  I'm sure he's got an ego.  Shula is the son of the all-time winningest NFL coach and I'm sure he's got opinions on how things should be done.

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Giants fans are telling me it Flores job to lose. Perhaps Daboll doesn’t interview well.

I'm sure your fan friends input comes direct from the front office.
https://elitesportsny.com/2022/01/22/giants-hc-tracker/

For the most part it doesn’t matter imo. 
The scheme will stay the same on both sides of the ball.  It’s not like we’re hiring Vic Fangio and switching to a 3-4. 
I think Daboll is gonna be a great head coach, I think he’s brilliant at offense, but I have always hated his in game play calls. I think that’s all that changes really if either guy leaves is the in game play calls. 

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, so you're talking about Dorsey was QB coach under Mike Shula as OC, on the Panthers 2013-2017.  I understand your logic.

Shula went on from there to be OC of the NY Giants, then QB coach of the Denver Broncos.  Meaning he's likely to be unemployed as the Ponies saddle up a new coaching staff.

I gotta say not impressed by the Broncos QB room - yeah, there's the question of talent, but they just don't seem sharp as far as how they're coached, and then there's the episode where Denver played without a QB in 2020 for one game, after the QBs put their Kinexion trackers in the far corners of the room so they could all sit together and watch film (the NFL found that out while reviewing the facility film on Saturday and that's why they were deaf to the Broncos pleas).

I think when you work under someone for 4 years then bring them in to work under you in a new job, it might not be too comfortable.  Shula would have to have a bit of the saint about him not to be second-guessing Dorsey and telling him how to do his new job, and Dorsey would have to be a bit of a saint not to take any feedback/input/sanity checking Shula might offer as second guessing or challenging him. 

Dorsey was a winning college QB from a big program with a Rose Bowl victory and did play in the NFL.  I'm sure he's got an ego.  Shula is the son of the all-time winningest NFL coach and I'm sure he's got opinions on how things should be done.

I'm sure your fan friends input comes direct from the front office.
https://elitesportsny.com/2022/01/22/giants-hc-tracker/

2 work for the team. I hope it’s Frazier. He’s an all time loser.

Edited by Governor

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In what capacity?

Schoen is the GM now and I'm pretty sure he came from the Brandon Beane School of Loose Lips Sink Ships.

One of them works directly for Mara. The other one works with their trainers at some level. Both have jobs that aren’t affected by a new GM. They’ve been there a long time. I’m not exactly sure why the like Flores so much.

Edited by Governor

1 minute ago, Governor said:

One of them works directly for Mara. The other one works with their trainers at some level.

The one who works directly for Mara may indeed have good gouge, but it's gonna depend on how much autonomy/hiring and firing input Schoen bargained for.

I think the same point about Poles probably not being too impressed with Frazier when his former team has been able to regularly steal their lunch money and kick sand in the face of his defense, would hold true for Schoen and Flores.

Why would the new GM want a HC who his former team has regularly and efficiently kicked to the curb, and who is widely seen as mismanaging the development of his new QB? 

45 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What if Dorsey is who Josh wants?

Josh hasnt been around long enough to know what makes a good OC.  His opinion is nothing to me.  He isn't the guy that will be on the hook for the success of the OC.  If he regresses, it will be blamed on the OC, and then the HC who hired him.

Josh has a friendship with Dorsey, that shouldnt be a factor in deciding who is best to literally manage the entire offense.

The recent Schoen quote makes me wonder if the Giants will look away from Daboll.  “Proven track record of developing young players” is a lot different from “proven track record of developing quarterbacks.”  This isn’t to say that Daboll hasn’t developed other young players—he probably deserves credit for Gabe Davis.  But, at this point, if Daniel Jones isn’t the answer, and Trubisky isn’t to the Giants’ liking (Schoen saw him all year in practice), then I question whether the Giants will want to develop a young QB this year.  At this point there’s no such QB warranting such faith in the draft, and seemingly nobody of that character available for trade/FA/whatever.  (Jordan Love doesn’t count no matter what GB does.)

That is, they may work on the rest of the team first and plug in the QB later.  Kind of like what the Chargers did with the Flutie bridge and what we did here to an extent with Tyrod until we found Josh.  If that’s what they’re thinking, Flores looks like a much stronger candidate.  And, he might give them a better shot at Watson to the extent there’s mutual interest.  That division is ripe for the taking (sorry, Dallas), and putting Watson in there gives them a shot at the playoffs every year.  It’s a very, very interesting idea. 

49 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Josh hasnt been around long enough to know what makes a good OC.  His opinion is nothing to me.  He isn't the guy that will be on the hook for the success of the OC.  If he regresses, it will be blamed on the OC, and then the HC who hired him.

Josh has a friendship with Dorsey, that shouldnt be a factor in deciding who is best to literally manage the entire offense.

Right, the elite QB doesn’t know what’s good for him and the offense but a random person on the internet does. 

Dorsey may or may not be promoted to OC but to completely dismiss him and say Josh’s opinion means nothing is just…stupid.

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Right, the elite QB doesn’t know what’s good for him and the offense but a random person on the internet does. 

Dorsey may or may not be promoted to OC but to completely dismiss him and say Josh’s opinion means nothing is just…stupid.

Where did I say that I would be hiring an OC?

Just now, Greg S said:

Per today's Daily News. Flores had a great 2nd interview with the Giants yesterday. Speculation is he has emerged as the favorite for the Giants job. But they said it is a two man race between Flores and Daboll. 

Flores to New Orleans

Daboll to Miami

Frazier to Giant

One can wish

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.