Texans getting closer to hiring Josh McCown as Head Coach

Albany,n.y.

17 hours ago, Doc said:

If the O/U was 4 games with Watson, that makes more sense.  Without him I'd say the O/U would have been 1.

1?  LOL, not even close.  

If there was ever a over/under with just one win  ALL the $ would come in on the over and wouldn't last long.

Do you know how "difficult" it is to NOT win in the NFL?  How many teams only win 1 or no games, rarely happens.  Even as dysfunctional as Jax with a goofball coach and rookie QB was  they managed to win 3. 

And here were the pre-season over/unders from last year

https://www.thelines.com/odds/nfl-win-totals/

54 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

1?  LOL, not even close.  

If there was ever a over/under with just one win  ALL the $ would come in on the over and wouldn't last long.

Do you know how "difficult" it is to NOT win in the NFL?  How many teams only win 1 or no games, rarely happens.  Even as dysfunctional as Jax with a goofball coach and rookie QB was  they managed to win 3. 

OK, 2.

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

This seems odd. I suppose if the Texans really wanted McCown on their staff, why not as an assistant? Or at the very most, why not as their QB coach? Very strange to me.

Agreed.

McCown would seem eminently qualified to be a coaching assistant or assistant QB coach...QB coach with no coaching experience would be a stretch, but I don't think it would raise too many eyebrows.

Hiring a HC with no coaching experience in the NFL at any level at a point where there's heightened awareness of looking at qualifications and hiring the most qualified coaches...it's like saying FU to the NFL and the rest of the NFL owners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.

McCown would seem eminently qualified to be a coaching assistant or assistant QB coach...QB coach with no coaching experience would be a stretch, but I don't think it would raise too many eyebrows.

Hiring a HC with no coaching experience in the NFL at any level at a point where there's heightened awareness of looking at qualifications and hiring the most qualified coaches...it's like saying FU to the NFL and the rest of the NFL owners.

When he interviewed last year there should have been a serious conversation "if this is really what you want to do, then you have to coach in 2021." If the Texans knew Culley was a hand on the tiller in a re-set year and they were interested in exploring McCown again long term the proviso should have been that he coached in some way in 2021. 

On 1/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, jkeerie said:

The main criteria the Texans are using for their coaching search is the answer to the question, "Will you take the  job?"  

If the candidate answers "Yes" he's hired.  

No viable candidate would ever consider that job.  The Texans made it even less attractive by firing Culley after one season.

If you could negotiate a large multiyear year deal like Gruden did it could be appealing.  Guaranteed failure so no one blames you and you go coach in college for a while with double salary.

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.

Unreal that he’s being considered! Fire Culley who given circumstances did decent job. Ok yes his game management had some issues. But particularly given the sensitivity about minority hiring, it’s just dumbfounding.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

This would be the oddest hire in the last 20 years, at least. He has no credentials. This is incredible.

You say that but the credentials required for being hired as Head Coach of the Texans are attendance at one of Jack Easterby's prayer meetings. McCown must be a regular. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This would be such a horrible look for the NFL, especially with the Brian Flores stuff going on.

It would emphasize the claim that white coaches are given opportunities that minority coaches aren’t.  I don’t see how the Texans could even sell McCown as qualified for the job at all, let alone more qualified than other available candidates.

Almost 40% of NFL assistant coaches are minorities, yet every year the NFL seems to find some new, totally inexperienced white candidate to promote over all of the (much more qualified) minority candidates.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/4/2022 at 10:43 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

1?  LOL, not even close.  

Browns did it in consecutive years.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

U .Browns did it in consecutive years.

I guess Tom Brady signifies how critical 6th rd draft picks can be.

You are wrong, your assertion of a 1 over/under for the NFL was asinine, you can either be intellectually honest about it or not.  It is very rare for an NFL team in today's parity-based league to win only 1 or no games.  Does it happen yes, is it very rare, absolutely, not even up to debate.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

This would be such a horrible look for the NFL, especially with the Brian Flores stuff going on.

It would emphasize the claim that white coaches are given opportunities that minority coaches aren’t.  I don’t see how the Texans could even sell McCown as qualified for the job at all, let alone more qualified than other available candidates.

Almost 40% of NFL assistant coaches are minorities, yet every year the NFL seems to find some new, totally inexperienced white candidate to promote over all of the (much more qualified) minority candidates.

It's mostly a horrible look for the Texans.

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's mostly a horrible look for the Texans.

one in a series.

They should not have interviewed Flores and then take Josh. But Easterby is empowered to be that guy.

Why Anyone would go there as HC is beyond me

Unless Watson is coming back  :D

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You say that but the credentials required for being hired as Head Coach of the Texans are attendance at one of Jack Easterby's prayer meetings. McCown must be a regular. 

If McCown says no, they're deciding between Jessie Duplantis or Joel Osteen. 🤨

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I guess Tom Brady signifies how critical 6th rd draft picks can be.

You are wrong, your assertion of a 1 over/under for the NFL was asinine, you can either be intellectually honest about it or not.  It is very rare for an NFL team in today's parity-based league to win only 1 or no games.  Does it happen yes, is it very rare, absolutely, not even up to debate.

Good think I didn't mention an over/under then, right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.