Texans getting closer to hiring Josh McCown as Head Coach

Albany,n.y.

Between this moon shot and a mediocre retread, I'd rather give McCown a shot.  The Texans aren't going anywhere until the Watson "thing" is resolved, so why not?

He will win a few games at the outset because nobody knows a thing about him.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Take away that Buffalo game, and his TD/INT ratio was 16/6 and his completion percentage is around 70. The equal of Mac Jones, basically, at least statistically. He has more arm talent than Jones, and if you look at the final four games of the season, he produced at a near-elite level. @GunnerBill, what say you about Mills?

I think he showed promise, absolutely. He played about as well as anyone could have hoped on that team. Certainly with this weak Quarterback class I wouldn't even think about taking one this year. I'd put some pieces around Mills and see if he can take another step in 2022 and then look afresh. 

As for McCown the Texans considered hiring him last year. Not a shock they have gone back to that idea. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he showed promise, absolutely. He played about as well as anyone could have hoped on that team. Certainly with this week Quarterback class I wouldn't even think about taking one this year. I'd put some pieces around Mills and see if he can take another step in 2022 and then look afresh. 

As for McCown the Texans considered hiring him last year. Not a shock they have gone back to that idea. 

If there was a re-draft, I think he absolutely goes at least in the second half of round one. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

We have no idea whether he's going to be a good coach or not. But they may have a QB, and if they do, he'll probably be fine if he's competent.

This would be a great line in the GM's letter to the fans following his hire!

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

We have no idea whether he's going to be a good coach or not. But they may have a QB, and if they do, he'll probably be fine if he's competent.

This would be an interesting case study in that...

If Lefleur, for example, stepped down as Packers HC and everything stayed the same except they hired Dick Jauron as HC I would expect them to still win 13-14 games. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ben said:

Ive watched a lot of football perhaps I could interview?

Can you use a telestrator? But more importantly can you coach speak your way through a press conference? You have done well here posting a lot of verbiage that says nothing important so you’ve got a good start on it….

Does the NFL have some provision in their bylaws that allows the owners to step in and take a control of a franchise being irresponsibly run into the ground by it owner?  If so, I would have to think the Texans are living on the edge.  I thought Jacksonville was bad, and they are, but the Texans are what the dumpster fire looks like when it no longer has the fuel to burn.  

It made little sense to get rid of Culley. That roster still needs another year and they have to sort out the Watson situation before it's not dumpster fire status. It feels like they're trying to rush there and while I generally think any rebuild longer than 3 years is failed.. that organization kinda need to accept that this season and likely next season are complete and utter throwaways because of the ditch they dug themselves. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.