Texans getting closer to hiring Josh McCown as Head Coach

Albany,n.y.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's way worse.  Yes, O'Connell has worked himself up the ranks relatively quickly, but he's been a position coach and has been an OC for 3 years for 2 different teams, and is about to take his team to the Superbowl.  

It's been an overall trend to hire "hot" young coaches from the Offensive side of the ball, over far more experienced Defensive guys:

McVay was hired with 3 years as OC and 3 years as a position coach, and went to the Superbowl his first year.

Zac Taylor was hired with 2 years as OC (one for the Dolphins and one for a college) and 5 or 6 years overall NFL experience and hey, Watch This.

It's hard to argue it's inappropriate when it's a pattern that has had demonstrated success, and the position coaches for championship teams are typically a hot commodity.

McCown has NO coaching experience.  None.  Zilch. Zippo.

Just to clarify, McVay took the Rams to a SB in his 2nd season as HC.  

Hiring McCown would be unprecedented.  And stupid.  But if they do and it somehow works out...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Just to clarify, McVay took the Rams to a SB in his 2nd season as HC.  

Hiring McCown would be unprecedented.  And stupid.  But if they do and it somehow works out...

...it would be thanks to the people he assembled as coordinators and positional coaches.

13 hours ago, Doc said:

And they fired Culley after 1 year, doing far better than anyone thought they would.

Not true at all, totally false  and often repeated narrative.

The over/under for the Texans was 4, exactly how many games they won.   And Culley was not a good coach at all, he made some incredible blunders is why he was fired.  They should have beat the Patriots but Culley and his dumb decisions let the Texans gave the game away.

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The over/under for the Texans was 4, exactly how many games they won.   And Culley was not a good coach at all, he made some incredible blunders is why he was fired.  They should have beat the Patriots but Culley and his dumb decisions let the Texans gave the game away.

I'm not sure how they figured 4 wins.  They beat the Jags twice and the Titans and Chargers.  At best I'd figure they'd have split with the Jags and lost the others, to finish 1-16.  

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

the GM and Romeo Crennel were BOTH in Culley's headset during games, which is just bizarre to me. 

I'm surprised Easterby wasn't in there as well. 

Culley worked miracles with what he dealt with IMO.

They should have been in his headseat, Culley made some idiotic mistakes that cost the Texans some games.  He was a nice guy but in way over his head.

https://theathletic.com/2883499/2021/10/12/david-culley-admits-his-mistakes-but-will-the-texans-coach-learn-from-them/

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

the GM and Romeo Crennel were BOTH in Culley's headset during games, which is just bizarre to me. 

I'm surprised Easterby wasn't in there as well. 

Culley worked miracles with what he dealt with IMO.

Wow that’s crazy! I didn’t even know that was allowed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/20/nick-caserio-david-culley-regularly-communicate-during-games/

I remember the browns GM getting suspended for sending texts to his coaches during the game. But I guess this is allowed since they communicated via headset.

What a **** show the Texans are.

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

They should have been in his headseat, Culley made some idiotic mistakes that cost the Texans some games.  He was a nice guy but in way over his head.

https://theathletic.com/2883499/2021/10/12/david-culley-admits-his-mistakes-but-will-the-texans-coach-learn-from-them/

Did Culley make those mistakes, or was having the GM, and the "consultant" or whatever they called Romeo Crennell, in his headset chattering away at key moments a distraction that caused him to botch decisions?

14 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Did Culley make those mistakes, or was having the GM, and the "consultant" or whatever they called Romeo Crennell, in his headset chattering away at key moments a distraction that caused him to botch decisions?

I have zero animus toward Culley, zero.   Now if he were the Bills HC I would be livid with him and his jaw dropping mistakes.

Unfortunately, I get to hear the woes of the Texans living in Houston, inundated with it.  No obviously I dont know exactly who made the actual decisions but 1) Culley was the HC and 2) read that article i referenced, he said those were his mistakes.   If Culley was distracted that was his fault.   I have heard a lot of Culley press conferences and the man simply isnt that smart.

I have had interaction with the Texans front office, and I can tell you the current owner has the IQ of a fencepost and the entire organization is wildly dysfunctional.  They have an owner that thinks he is a minister, a minister that thinks he is the owner, a GM that thinks he is HC and a HC that just wanted to retire (Culley) and get his $ which he did.  I think it was $24 million.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have zero animus toward Culley, zero.   Now if he were the Bills HC I would be livid with him and his jaw dropping mistakes.

Unfortunately, I get to hear the woes of the Texans living in Houston, inundated with it.  No obviously I dont know exactly who made the actual decisions but 1) Culley was the HC and 2) read that article i referenced, he said those were his mistakes.   If Culley was distracted that was his fault.   I have heard a lot of Culley press conferences and the man simply isnt that smart.

I have had interaction with the Texans front office, and I can tell you the current owner has the IQ of a fencepost and the entire organization is wildly dysfunctional.  They have an owner that thinks he is a minister, a minister that thinks he is the owner, a GM that thinks he is HC and a HC that just wanted to retire (Culley) and get his $ which he did.  I think it was $24 million.

that all makes total sense! 

It's pretty crazy how dysfunctional that franchise truly is

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

We as the over/under before or after Watson was essentially benched for the season?

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's way worse.  Yes, O'Connell has worked himself up the ranks relatively quickly, but he's been a position coach and has been an OC for 3 years for 2 different teams, and is about to take his team to the Superbowl.  

It's been an overall trend to hire "hot" young coaches from the Offensive side of the ball, over far more experienced Defensive guys:

McVay was hired with 3 years as OC and 3 years as a position coach, and went to the Superbowl his first year.

Zac Taylor was hired with 2 years as OC (one for the Dolphins and one for a college) and 5 or 6 years overall NFL experience and hey, Watch This.

It's hard to argue it's inappropriate when it's a pattern that has had demonstrated success, and the position coaches for championship teams are typically a hot commodity.

McCown has NO coaching experience.  None.  Zilch. Zippo.

I thought he was a volunteer coach at the high school of one of his kids.   Just the same as coaching the dolphins to a winning record, right? I kid, of course.  

I don’t think the idea of hiring someone “fresh” is all that crazy.  Maybe not a great idea, but not completely, impossibly nuts.  (Look at the NBA.). But to do it now would throw a reservoir of gasoline on the Flores fire. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I thought he was a volunteer coach at the high school of one of his kids.   Just the same as coaching the dolphins to a winning record, right? I kid, of course.  

I don’t think the idea of hiring someone “fresh” is all that crazy.  Maybe not a great idea, but not completely, impossibly nuts.  (Look at the NBA.). But to do it now would throw a reservoir of gasoline on the Flores fire. 

Sports radio in Houston had a field day mocking the Texans with McCown's explanation of why he didnt coach last year.  Paraphrasing, he said he wasn't ready to be a HC last year when he first interviewed and wanted to watch his sons play high school football.  So he said NOW he " was all  in " to be HC because he had that one year to watch his sons play high school football as if he is now prepared to be an NFL HC.  

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

way way before it was obvious Watson wasnt playing for the Texans. And he wasnt exactly benched but that is not worth delving into.  

So basically the over/under was 4 games with Watson, so even with a franchise QB the odds makers seen Houston as a bad team. So without Watson they still managed to win 4 games, lost 4/13 games by 1 score. With Watson that Houston team probably wins 6-8 games.

42 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

So basically the over/under was 4 games with Watson, so even with a franchise QB the odds makers seen Houston as a bad team. So without Watson they still managed to win 4 games, lost 4/13 games by 1 score. With Watson that Houston team probably wins 6-8 games.

If the O/U was 4 games with Watson, that makes more sense.  Without him I'd say the O/U would have been 1.

18 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

No incorrect.  The over/under before the season started when it was 99% certain there would be no Watson was 4 games.  I dont know what the over under was when Watson was still a possibility but the odds of him returning were dropping daily.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.