Does anyone think the Lamar Jackson situation this year was strange?

FireChans

15 minutes ago, RocketLaserArmJosh said:

I really don’t know anyone who like Lamar more than Josh and/or thinks Lamar is better

Maybe all those that voted him over Josh for probowl? That kinda implies there's a few that for some odd, crazy reason I certainly can't explain feel Lamar is better.

I know it's boggles my mind too lol

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Maybe all those that voted him over Josh for probowl? That kinda implies there's a few that for some odd, crazy reason I certainly can't explain feel Lamar is better.

I know it's boggles my mind too lol

That's the problem with ending Pro Bowl voting a month before the regular season is over.

• Agree 4

7 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There is so much about the Lamar situation that is a little strange. I will just kind of simplify a very complicated situation by saying…..I don’t think the guy that came in for him, was that much worse. 

Huntley is much worse than Lamar in the red zone. He is definitely the perfect backup for that offense though.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

2 of those losses were because Harbaugh opted to go for 2 instead of OT twice. Had he had just played for OT, they may have won one or both, instead he basically gave the Ravens 2 additional losses that ended their season

They won more than 2 of their games by luck and gambling.   The odds just caught up to them.

13 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not sure if that is what the OP intended. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. With that said, I'll admit that I really have no idea what the intent of this thread is. 

It looks like the OP wanted a discussion about some weird looking behavior by the Ravens and Lamar.  They went from 8-5 with the first AFC seed to out of the playoffs. Their QB has injured on a play where it looked like he was just tripped up by a diving tackler slapping his heels- yet he has not played since.  He didn't play at all the last 5 games but was not put on IR.  He was in competition with out guy Allen for top QB rankings, seemed to be beat out by Allen, but still seems to be the darling of the voters and press.  there are other interest here.  Clevenand and Cinnci have been the low dogs in the Central Division forever, but now the Ravens and Steelers seem to be headed down, with their QB's in trouble.  There are a lot of interesting things going on, I don't thing there was a carefully scripted agenda.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if Lamar suffers from a chronic disease such as Crohn's or IBS?  Seems like he is listed with non Covid illness more than most.   

Coming out of college in 2018 I had Josh Allen and then Lamar as my favorites for QB - both are worth the price of a ticket. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/19/2022 at 1:10 AM, Scott7975 said:

I cant really say about the injury.  No idea what kind of pain the guy was in.  I thought his illnesses were a little strange though.  Its like he was in one week practice out the next, in the next one.  Some weird stuff.

Ya.  Wondering if he has something more serious.  (Platlet or auto immune disease) we may not ever know but he does seem to miss a lot of practices due to illness. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

It looks like the OP wanted a discussion about some weird looking behavior by the Ravens and Lamar.  They went from 8-5 with the first AFC seed to out of the playoffs. Their QB has injured on a play where it looked like he was just tripped up by a diving tackler slapping his heels- yet he has not played since.  He didn't play at all the last 5 games but was not put on IR.  He was in competition with out guy Allen for top QB rankings, seemed to be beat out by Allen, but still seems to be the darling of the voters and press.  there are other interest here.  Clevenand and Cinnci have been the low dogs in the Central Division forever, but now the Ravens and Steelers seem to be headed down, with their QB's in trouble.  There are a lot of interesting things going on, I don't thing there was a carefully scripted agenda.

I didn't say there was a carefully scripted agenda. As a matter of fact, in the post you responded to, I specifically stated I didn't think that is what the OP intended. I stay out of the weeds that some posters in this thread have wandered into.

To me, the original post seemed to question the legitimacy of Jackson's injury and/or his willingness/toughness/etc. to play through the injury. IMO, Jackson stated he suffered a bone bruise to his ankle in week 14. It seems reasonable to me that such an injury can keep him off the field, particularly given his style of play. It also seems reasonable that the team and Jackson hoped he might be able to get healthy enough to play the last week or two of the season, or in the playoffs if they made it, and, therefore, didn't put him on IR. I truly don't see anything "interesting" or "strange" about the situation.

The OP specifically stated, "If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt..." First, I think the premise of the statement is absurd. I don't see the media questioning the legitimacy of a reported injury that would sideline Mayfield, Rodgers, or any other starting QB without some evidence sufficient enough to create such doubt, much less openly make the accusation. Second, to me, this statement by the OP pretty much says he thinks Jackson should be questioned about how truly hurt he is, and, inherent in such a statement, that there is somehow a different standard for Jackson.

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest he could have played through the injury. Not putting him on IR was perfectly reasonable. Not going into detail during the season about the nature and extent of the injury is also reasonable. There is nothing strange or nefarious about those things. Certainly nothing to suggest he could have played - and nothing to suggest there is some kind of different standard for Jackson because the media didn't, as the OP stated, "crush" Jackson like they would have if Mayfield in a similar situation.

The OP also stated in a subsequent post, "I don’t think Lamar is malingering. If he can’t go, he can’t go." This is where I originally commented in this thread and why I stated I have no idea as to the intent of this thread. 

I see absolutely no evidence to support the statements in the original post, and the OP subsequently stated he didn't think Jackson was malingering. Given those two things, why would the he create a thread basically accusing Jackson of malingering and accusing the media of a double standard for not openly going after Jackson for malingering? 

His statements lack any substantive support, seem intellectually inconsistent, and I just don't understand the point. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I didn't say there was a carefully scripted agenda. As a matter of fact, in the post you responded to, I specifically stated I didn't think that is what the OP intended. I stay out of the weeds that some posters in this thread have wandered into.

To me, the original post seemed to question the legitimacy of Jackson's injury and/or his willingness/toughness/etc. to play through the injury. IMO, Jackson stated he suffered a bone bruise to his ankle in week 14. It seems reasonable to me that such an injury can keep him off the field, particularly given his style of play. It also seems reasonable that the team and Jackson hoped he might be able to get healthy enough to play the last week or two of the season, or in the playoffs if they made it, and, therefore, didn't put him on IR. I truly don't see anything "interesting" or "strange" about the situation.

The OP specifically stated, "If it were Baker Mayfield who was in a similar situation, I think the media crushes him. Even if it was Aaron Rodgers, I think it’s a major topic. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone in the media even ask the question, was Lamar truly that hurt..." First, I think the premise of the statement is absurd. I don't see the media questioning the legitimacy of a reported injury that would sideline Mayfield, Rodgers, or any other starting QB without some evidence sufficient enough to create such doubt, much less openly make the accusation. Second, to me, this statement by the OP pretty much says he thinks Jackson should be questioned about how truly hurt he is, and, inherent in such a statement, that there is somehow a different standard for Jackson.

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest he could have played through the injury. Not putting him on IR was perfectly reasonable. Not going into detail during the season about the nature and extent of the injury is also reasonable. There is nothing strange or nefarious about those things. Certainly nothing to suggest he could have played - and nothing to suggest there is some kind of different standard for Jackson because the media didn't, as the OP stated, "crush" Jackson like they would have if Mayfield in a similar situation.

The OP also stated in a subsequent post, "I don’t think Lamar is malingering. If he can’t go, he can’t go." This is where I originally commented in this thread and why I stated I have no idea as to the intent of this thread. 

I see absolutely no evidence to support the statements in the original post, and the OP subsequently stated he didn't think Jackson was malingering. Given those two things, why would the he create a thread basically accusing Jackson of malingering and accusing the media of a double standard for not openly going after Jackson for malingering? 

His statements lack any substantive support, seem intellectually inconsistent, and I just don't understand the point. 

The point was to stir the pot and then sit back and claim plausible deniability “Who, moi?”, he’s been doing this for years.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Lol bro, we had a whole investigative report on Aaron Rodgers’ toes for like a month. 

Lamar gets a bone bruise and it’s just silence and he doesn’t play.

Do you see the difference? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lol bro, we had a whole investigative report on Aaron Rodgers’ toes for like a month. 

Why don’t you come out and say what you think the reason for the difference is?  Or are you just asking an innocent question for others to weigh in on?

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Why don’t you come out and say what you think the reason for the difference is?  Or are you just asking an innocent question for others to weigh in on?

The difference is Lamar’s injury wasn’t talked about much at all. The guy is a superstar, on a playoff team (which was recently the 1 seed in the AFC), and it didn’t dominate the news cycle. Which is unusual, IMO

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

I recall Rodgers's toe injury being a media topic only so far as it affected his ability to practice and play. The same thing happened with Jackson. There was plenty of media coverage in terms of the injury preventing him from playing.

I don't recall the media questioning, when Rodgers didn't practice, or at anytime, whether he was malingering, questioning his toughness, or, as you stated in your original post, "crushing him."

So, no, I don't see the difference. However, this post seems to verify that your primary issue with Jackson, and the whole point of this thread, is that there is some type of double standard. 

If so, you seemed to pick a strange circumstance to illustrate your point

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Unfortunately I think it will be years before the world will clearly see that josh is better than lamar (unless josh wins a super bowl). Lamar had that amazing year and will always have the mvp trophy. And unfortunately for josh had one of the greatest qbs ever win mvp over him last year.

Lamar and mahomes will always be the poster boys of the nfl cuz they are crucial to the nfl to keep younger generations of viewers. And their not wrong to do so, when I was 12 all I wanted to see was Vick run and scramble cuz it was awesome to watch.

I think anyone that really watches football can see josh is already much better, but as far as casual viewers, they will always see twice the Lamar highlights and be reminded of the mvp trophy.

I think just as many kids like 17.  You get a little bit of both. 

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The difference is Lamar’s injury wasn’t talked about much at all. The guy is a superstar, on a playoff team (which was recently the 1 seed in the AFC), and it didn’t dominate the news cycle. Which is unusual, IMO

if anything the double standard is in the opposite direction with Rogers.  PFT and a lot of media people hate Rodgers and love to dominate the news cycle with negative stuff about him.

lamar getting banged up got the same coverage of someone like jimmy G or Tua this year

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

if anything the double standard is in the opposite direction with Rogers.  PFT and a lot of media people hate Rodgers and love to dominate the news cycle with negative stuff about him.

lamar getting banged up got the same coverage of someone like jimmy G or Tua this year

That’s fair too, but IMO Lamar is a young superstar. It’s weird he got the Tua treatment.

Your example is probably better than the OP.

Edited by FireChans

14 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Prior to his injury he was throwing downfield at a historic rate.

Here is a good article explaining that the problem is his failure to operate within the structure of the offense.  Roman’s bizarre and sloppy passing concepts aren’t helping him, as you’ll see from those clips.  Same thing happened here with Tyrod- but that didn’t stop you from crusading that he was the problem.  

🤣 Why?  

because they were trailing and he HAD to? 

On 1/19/2022 at 12:03 AM, Comebackkid said:

A bone bruise cannot be trivialized. One cannot just take pain medicine and ignore the symptoms. Despite Roethlisberger’s ironman reputation, he can’t just play through it. Edema or swelling in the bone can lead to complications and articular cartilage loss if not careful. What is a bone bruise? It is not a simple contusion that is treated with ice and managed symptomatically. A deep bone bruise is essentially a microscopic fracture, much like a ligament sprain is a microscopic tear. I am not suggesting it is a true fracture that needs surgery or casting, but there is compromise to the integrity of the bone in order to get the swelling/fluid inside the bone. Think of the bones of the knee being covered by articular cartilage like the dirt of the football field has grass on top. When an elephant stomps on the grass, the dirt underneath can be damaged/compressed. In order to allow the grass (articular cartilage) the best chance to rejuvenate and heal, you can’t keep playing football on it. The “keep off the grass” sign allows a chance to heal. Last year, Broncos LB Danny Trevathan was placed on short-term IR for a bone bruise. As a result of recurrent injury, he needed offseason surgery. I am not suggesting this will happen to Roethlisberger, but the top Steelers medical staff will have this in mind as they allow their QB to return to play

per dr david chao

Sorry for my confusion but seeing as this is a post about Lamar & that Big Ben played through out the season was this a reply about Lamar or did i miss something & was Big Ben playing through a bone bruise being the reason why he didn't play up to par  ?? 

16 hours ago, FireChans said:

Legitimately incorrect. 

I do think Lamar has gotten more love in the media than Josh even tho I believe that Josh is better but that’s the extent of my bias against him.

for you to level accusations of this magnitude is frankly absurd. I’m not plotting under your bed dude. It’s twobillsdrive.

Besides the fact, if what you said was true AT ALL, why wouldn’t I pick the easier target of Kyler Murray? Way more topical and relevant. Or was that a part of my insidious plan to throw you  off the scent?? 

Did you stop following mainstream sports media after 2019?   Of course the media loved Jackson in 2019 when he won the MVP and the Ravens went 14-2, but in the last two years that statement has simply been untrue -- and especially in the second half of 2021.      Moreover, claiming that the media doesn't criticize Kyler Murray only underscores your ignorance.  He's been called out repeatedly on sports media in the second half of the season as the Cardinals collapsed.  In fact, following the debacle in the wild card round, several commentators have crucified him, questioning if he shouldn't give up football to go play pro baseball.

16 hours ago, Nelius said:

I think the OP had a very specific Lamar Jackson only reaction but then the thread took a dump in truly the next post.

You are generous.

14 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

24th in the league in passing yards.     It’s a big nahhhhh

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  Jackson only played 11 full games and his team was 7-4 in those games.   He was injured in the 12th game after making only 4 passing attempts.

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

The OP basically accused of Lamar Jackson hiding behind an injury based on nothing of substance on Jackson's part.   I think I'd call that "making stuff up" which is pretty malicious IMO.  

If anybody is going to question anything about Baltimore's 2021 season, then he or she should be questioning Harbaugh and the rest of the Ravens' brain trust.  Harbaugh deliberately declined to go to OT twice by going for 2-point conversions after his team got to within 1 point of their opponents.   If the Ravens win one of those games, they make the playoffs.  It was the Ravens' decision not to put Jackson on IR which was entirely reasonable but it surely wasn't Jackson's call.

22 minutes ago, T master said:

Sorry for my confusion but seeing as this is a post about Lamar & that Big Ben played through out the season was this a reply about Lamar or did i miss something & was Big Ben playing through a bone bruise being the reason why he didn't play up to par  ?? 

Well even though this post is about big ben, it illustrates the seriousness of a bone bruise. Now there's possibility that Ben's breeze wasn't considered as bad. Also Ben is pretty much mobile to begin with. There's also a good possibility that it affected the power over velocity of which he couldn't throw his balls because he couldn't set maybe as well.  Also as far as the franchise was concerned they knew it was his last year in the league we probably weren't especially worried about his health. Now you jump to Lamar and this is a  guy that relies on his legs and may be the future of your franchise so you're not going to take the same risks with him and the risks are also far greater than they were with Ben

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.