Freezing Out Allen

hondo in seattle

I will be quite honest.  I am worried about JA here.  He has not finished the season strong and NE has a Defense and better running game.  

I do not think BB will let Jones put the ball at risk.  I do think we have to throw some because NE is going to make it hellish to run the ball.  Barrimore being hurt is a plus.  Oliver has been a dud against the run.  I think the weather favors the Pats and not us.  

I hope I am dead wrong on this but mid week this is where I am at.  

I'm not worried about the offense here as much as I'm worried about the defense vs NE's rushing attack. 

They're too much for Mac Jones, but Damien Harris is like a hot knife through butter.  In 2 games, 28 carries for 214 yards and 4 TDs.  A 7.64 ypc average.  That's worrisome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Smith said:

I will be quite honest.  I am worried about JA here.  He has not finished the season strong and NE has a Defense and better running game.  

I do not think BB will let Jones put the ball at risk.  I do think we have to throw some because NE is going to make it hellish to run the ball.  Barrimore being hurt is a plus.  Oliver has been a dud against the run.  I think the weather favors the Pats and not us.  

The Cheaters have gone 1-3 in their last 4 games.  You want to talk about not finishing the season strong...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

To be clear, the chart is NOT my creation.  It comes from an article titled, "Should Josh Allen's stats in cold weather give Patriots fans hope?"

www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/do-josh-allens-cold-weather-stats-hint-patriots-edge-vs-bills

I think the article asks a fair question.  Josh does seem to struggle in cold weather games.  But it's also true that some of those games were also windy.   You'd have to guess the wind effects Josh more than the cold.   And Saturday isn't supposed to be particularly windy.

But, still, as a passing team wouldn't we all prefer to see sunshine, blue skies, and limp flags?  Or alternatively, a domed roof above our QB's head?  

I also think it's highly bogus to compare a game from 2018, 2 from 2019, and 2 from the 2021 season.

I mean, whatever floats their boat, but....

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I also think it's highly bogus to compare a game from 2018, 2 from 2019, and 2 from the 2021 season.

I mean, whatever floats their boat, but....

I thought the same.  Allen isn't the same QB he was in 2018 and 2019.

If you throw those out, the sample size is even smaller and statistically meaningless.

And, yet, I must confess that I do wonder if Allen has problems with weather.  He did say the other day that he has 'poor circulation.'   

58 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'm not worried about the offense here as much as I'm worried about the defense vs NE's rushing attack. 

They're too much for Mac Jones, but Damien Harris is like a hot knife through butter.  In 2 games, 28 carries for 214 yards and 4 TDs.  A 7.64 ypc average.  That's worrisome.

My biggest worry.

I think one way or the other - with his arms or legs - Josh will play well enough to move the team down the field, even against the Pats good D.

But our Run Defense needs to show up.  If it doesn't, it'll be close game that can go either way.  

18 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

If you throw those out, the sample size is even smaller and statistically meaningless.

And, yet, I must confess that I do wonder if Allen has problems with weather.  He did say the other day that he has 'poor circulation.'   

It's being quoted that way, but again, if you listen to the actual interview, he's talking about his feet and saying his feet get cold and lose feeling.  This isn't new, he said the same thing in an episode of Marc Sanchez "4th and Forever" podcast in the 2020 off-season.

Allen played in Wyoming, FCS.  He can throw in cold weather.  The question I have is whether the cold is pickling the brains of his WR who can't seem to get on the same page on their option routes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can't make it to the game since Fairbanks Alaska is about a 5 day drive to Buffalo even if Canada is open.  So here's some unsolicited advice to Bills buddies who will attend in person, from a place with REAL winter.

Start with the warmest boots you can find.  Cold feet will just make you miserable.  The warmest day in Fairbanks lately is still quite a bit colder than Saturday night's game in Buffalo will be, but even in balmy Orchard Park this Saturday I would not plan to sit still for hours outside unless I had warm boots.  A pair of sneakers or regular shoes will just not do.  

After that, layers is a good idea but it's not like you're going to find yourself too hot and want to remove a layer or two.  Usually we use layers here when we're going to be working hard outside or the temperature will be changing, and those factors don't apply here.  But layers will help trap body heat.  The Costco here sells insulated pants and if you can find them it's worth the cost of getting them.  

This is one day when you'll be glad to have your covid mask on.  It will keep the lower part of your face warm.  Or get a hat with a full-face covering except for eyes and mouth.  Reduce the amount of exposed skin.

A parka if you have one is a good idea, adding a hood over your hat protects your neck and upper body.  My heavy parka here would be too warm for the game (it's made for -40 or colder) but the heaviest one you can find in Buffalo might be a good idea.  

Finally, you probably have been outside on occasion in fairly cold conditions, but it's a good idea to do a test before Saturday where you bundle up, and then just go sit outside for half an hour or so.  You'll find out quickly where improvements are needed.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's being quoted that way, but again, if you listen to the actual interview, he's talking about his feet and saying his feet get cold and lose feeling.  This isn't new, he said the same thing in an episode of Marc Sanchez "4th and Forever" podcast in the 2020 off-season.

Allen played in Wyoming, FCS.  He can throw in cold weather.  The question I have is whether the cold is pickling the brains of his WR who can't seem to get on the same page on their option routes.

That last point seems on target.  It's like the WRs were thinking more about their discomfort than they were about route adjustments based on coverage.  

39 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

My biggest worry.

I think one way or the other - with his arms or legs - Josh will play well enough to move the team down the field, even against the Pats good D.

But our Run Defense needs to show up.  If it doesn't, it'll be close game that can go either way.  

The run defense in the first Pats game was vulnerable because the Bills tried to go with their usual personnel, and that turned out to be too light.  In the second game they switched out a CB and replaced him with Neal or a LB, and that extra poundage helped a lot.  Harris still had some good runs but he wasn't the lethal runner as he was in the first game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Why would he have to play close to the best game of his career win this game?  Dude, you make no sense. 

One of the most obnoxious trolls on this board. Ignore him, he's just here to spew his negative juju.

1 hour ago, Bruce Smith said:

I'll be quite honest. You're a Titans' troll whose act is not convincing anyone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I actually watched Nick Wright's "NFL Tiers" segment this week, and honestly I agree with him for once. 

He didn't mention the weather, but he put the Bills & Chargers in the "Live & Die by their QB" tier, & brought up how he could see them in the Super Bowl if he's being honest, but the QB play being so unpredictable has those 2 in that tier. Also refers to JA as "Magic Mountain Josh Allen." 

On the flipside, Kevin Wildes says the Pats are the best shot at stopping the Bills, otherwise he sees them beating Nick for another year in a row & going to the SB 😂

I do think the Bills win this one.   But after watching the Jags beat us, I realized that - on a bad day - the Bills can lose to anyone.

If we lose to the Pats it will be because (1) Allen has a bad day, and (2) our run defense doesn't get it done.

And that's why the weather worries me.  It may contribute to #1.   

Then again, Allen may lay another 300+ yards on the Pats in an easy win.   Don't know.  Can't know until I see it.  This team is too unpredictable.  

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

I can't make it to the game since Fairbanks Alaska is about a 5 day drive to Buffalo even if Canada is open.  So here's some unsolicited advice to Bills buddies who will attend in person, from a place with REAL winter.

Start with the warmest boots you can find.  Cold feet will just make you miserable.  The warmest day in Fairbanks lately is still quite a bit colder than Saturday night's game in Buffalo will be, but even in balmy Orchard Park this Saturday I would not plan to sit still for hours outside unless I had warm boots.  A pair of sneakers or regular shoes will just not do.  

After that, layers is a good idea but it's not like you're going to find yourself too hot and want to remove a layer or two.  Usually we use layers here when we're going to be working hard outside or the temperature will be changing, and those factors don't apply here.  But layers will help trap body heat.  The Costco here sells insulated pants and if you can find them it's worth the cost of getting them.  

This is one day when you'll be glad to have your covid mask on.  It will keep the lower part of your face warm.  Or get a hat with a full-face covering except for eyes and mouth.  Reduce the amount of exposed skin.

A parka if you have one is a good idea, adding a hood over your hat protects your neck and upper body.  My heavy parka here would be too warm for the game (it's made for -40 or colder) but the heaviest one you can find in Buffalo might be a good idea.  

Finally, you probably have been outside on occasion in fairly cold conditions, but it's a good idea to do a test before Saturday where you bundle up, and then just go sit outside for half an hour or so.  You'll find out quickly where improvements are needed.

That last point seems on target.  It's like the WRs were thinking more about their discomfort than they were about route adjustments based on coverage.  

The run defense in the first Pats game was vulnerable because the Bills tried to go with their usual personnel, and that turned out to be too light.  In the second game they switched out a CB and replaced him with Neal or a LB, and that extra poundage helped a lot.  Harris still had some good runs but he wasn't the lethal runner as he was in the first game.

Thank you for the great tips on dressing warm good sir, much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Pats fans know what's coming.   It is going to be delicious 😋 

I am a Bills fan since ‘63.   I have seen enough Bills games to know this will not be a cake walk. Josh is coming off a string of sub par games. We have to get out fast, score first, and then I believe you coils be right.  But if we miss tackles ( real pro players have been saying all week the COLD IS A REAL factor.  Wind and precipitation is worse but cold is still a huge issue and Josh has said it’s uncomfortable in terms of playing with cold feet.    The pats will be doing the run game again. No way they depend on Mac for more than 10-15 passes unless they get behind by more than two scores.  Our lineman , and esp LBs , can’t let Pats Rbs break  thru tackles like that first game. 

It is a extra factor that you just can’t pretend is not there.  Ross Tucker who is broadcasting the game on radio was saying things definitely hurt more and it is harder to maintain ball security according to other players.  Josh is not receiving balls and needs to learn to take a little off his shorter passes just to help make them more catchable.   It’s easy to see throughout the year guys have missed some heaters thrown at them even in good weather. 

Funny story:  I played lots of sports in high school but then dropped off to just intramural stuff in college as I came from a terrible academic high school and had lots to catch up on with a goal to get to Med school. Was on some intramural championship  teams in volleyball, softball, foootball, in undergrad at a division 3 school ( Wittenberg u in Ohio) and our actual football and basketball teams both won two national championships while I was there from ‘75-‘79!   So the place had some talented athletes.    ( Brian Akers who was a year behind me was a point guard for those National div 3 championship teams and has coached a couple of WNBA  teams to championships!  He was a point guard that handled the ball like pistol Pete!)

Anyhow I made it to Med school in Toledo and you could play in city sports leagues so at times students were playing informal pick up games just for stress relief.  One day I went to play in a flag football game just on campus.  My teammate was actually a prior starting qb for another division 3 school in Ohio, Ohio Wesleyan.   We had casually thrown the ball around several times before. However , in the first game I played I was a wr and free saftey, and got free on one play and I guess the competitor in him took over : he fired a ball at me from about 20: yards away and it was unlike anything I had seen before. I tried to catch it above my head and it had such velocity that I couldn’t close my hands fast enough and only partially had it hit my hands.  It still hurt like hell and the strings actually abraded my fingers .  I am a pretty good second baseman / shortstop in baseball and soft ball ; never had a ball hit at me with the velocity that football was thrown , and this was from a Diviaion 3 qb, not like a starter from Ohio state etc!  Haha!

I can’t even fathom how guys catch balls throw by Josh , and my point is if it’s cold that has to have an effect on the ability to catch a hard football !  Tucker was saying he played some center and it made the ball much harder to handle. I think BB is going to run, try to keep Josh from scrambling , and we better be able to run ourselves as I am not confident in 0 or sub0 weather , his passing will be much better than the prior 3 weeks. Plus we have seen guys dropping the ball more lately. I think it’s a 10 - 13 point win If all goes well.  Heck if the pats pic the pass  their db dropped in New England , we could have lost that game. We can’t have another 2-3 int game from Josh, like tippped balls our guys don’t handle and the bitter cold could have that effect. I just think BB is too smart and this is going to be a close game decided by the turnovers.   ( our punt handling has been an issue as well)     Hoping for our best game and a win!   

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wyoming is an FBS school

Hoodie insinuated that “probably gave the quarterback too much time” 

Prediction: NE D will press/blitz/stunt Josh much more and use the weather as ally to defend Allen long routes,

6 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

How do you explain Allen in the warm weather of Jacksonville?

Heat stroke. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.