Dolphins fire Brian Flores

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You don’t fire Flores unless you have a back up plan. It’s all over the web of Miami’s interest in Harbaugh also don’t count out Pederson as well

I do think Pederson will likely be one of their targets. We'll see with Harbaugh; seems like it's essentially just Dolphins fans trying to make sense of the firing while the actual reporters say there's nothing to it. Reality is he was fired because nobody wanted to work with him. Dolphins owner also just put out a statement saying he hopes Harbaugh stays at Michigan.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Flores put together winning seasons the past two years in spite of the roster deficiencies.

And, despite an awful beginning to the 2021 season, he apparently didn't lose the team as they rebounded well.  

So apparently Tua doesn't like him.  Do you build your team around your head coach or a kid with questionable potential?  

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Reports are they are heavily pursuing Harbaugh. Also it came out that they tried to replace Flores with Harbaugh during the 1-7 start

17 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Quite a few phins fans think Harbaugh is lined up to be their next guy.

Where are these reports.  The media down there has been saying outright that it is not true.  

The reports are that he had isolated his QB and had bad relationships with GM and other staff.  Those relationships matter and if you push enough people the wrong way - eventually it comes around to bite you.

On the one hand, Flores just coached his team to wins in 8 out of the last 9 games, and one wonders if firing a guy after that will alienate a lot of the locker room. Head coaching changes also tend to set roster construction back, as the new coach will often want "his guys" and there will be a bunch of roster turnover to fit new offensive and defensive systems.  I DO wonder what the Flores Dolphins would have looked like with a legit QB under center. I sense they could be a perpetual 11 win team with capable quarterback.

On the other hand, Flores seemed to me like a guy that was always gonna be just good enough to reach 9-8 every year. Good enough to MAYBE sneak into the playoffs, but that was his ceiling. I sort of don't blame the Phins for wanting to get off of that rollercoaster.

Stephen Ross is a "flash over substance" guy. I'm guessing they go hard after some big name head coach, and sell the farm to bring in Deshaun Watson.

Edited by Logic

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Flores put together winning seasons the past two years in spite of the roster deficiencies.

And, despite an awful beginning to the 2021 season, he apparently didn't lose the team as they rebounded well.  

So apparently Tua doesn't like him.  Do you build your team around your head coach or a kid with questionable potential?  

The problem with Flores was his inability to find a proper OC and the way he handled the QB position last year. Also his slow starts and trying to play catch up didn’t help him either

17 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Dumbest thing ever. Hmm could the Pats hire him now be our D coordinator? We need one bad.. lol seriously though could a playoff team add Flores to their coaching staff? 

The last line here is good:: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/10/absentee-ownership-directly-contributes-to-weird-outcomes-like-the-firing-of-brian-flores/

Edited by dave mcbride

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Depends upon whether the head coach is alienating others like the owner.  Especially if said owner pushed hard to draft the kid with questionable potential.

Maybe the owner decides to side with the GM that sits with him in the booth occasionally over the guy that in 3 years was no better than their previous coach and made the playoffs 1 less time.

I said earlier this year that Flores was doing a poor job managing that team - going back to how he handled things last year.  This is a composite decision that the bad rot underneath outweighed the way they played at the end.

Edited by Rochesterfan

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think this is a very good take from Florio and it addresses the real issue: a bad, absentee owner: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/10/absentee-ownership-directly-contributes-to-weird-outcomes-like-the-firing-of-brian-flores/

If Ross were in the building every day, talking to his head coach on a face-to-face basis repeatedly, he’d be in a much better position to assess where and how and when blame should be placed and changes should be made. the next Dan Snyder being accused of being too hands on and interfering with the football people making football decisions. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.