Packers QB Aaron Rodgers calls award voter 'a bum' following comments that he would not vote for Rodgers

HOUSE

image.png.df3cca05adc89a2f6c93c256ad6c95f3.png

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers called NFL-award voter Hub Arkush a "bum" on Wednesday, a day after the longtime Chicago sportswriter said he would not vote for Rodgers as 2021 AP NFL Most Valuable Player based on the QB's character and off-field issues.

Along with calling Arkush a "bum," Rodgers added that he believed Arkush's issues with him are centered on his status of being unvaccinated.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-calls-award-voter-a-bum-following-comments-that-he-woul

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

All the writer did was speak the truth about what he thinks of Rogers- that he is an arrogant selfish jerk.  He has been for a long time and that is not related to vaccination status, respite Rogers claim. He just is and keeps proving it.  There is a strong argument to be made there based on many factors.  I am sure he is not the only voter that feels that way, and not the only voter whose vote will be influenced by that, just the one dumb enough to say it out loud.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We all know that many voters of such awards allow their views on things other than on-field performance to influence their decisions - consciously or not. It's human nature. With that said, the MVP award should be based on the on-field performances of the candidates. IMO, If a voter openly states that he or she can't do that, then they should be excluded from voting.

3 minutes ago, FLFan said:

All the writer did was speak the truth about what he thinks of Rogers- that he is an arrogant selfish jerk.  He has been for a long time and that is not related to vaccination status, respite Rogers claim. He just is and keeps proving it.  There is a strong argument to be made there based on many factors.  I am sure he is not the only voter that feels that way, and not the only voter whose vote will be influenced by that, just the one dumb enough to say it out loud.  

First bolded: Irrelevant to MVP voting

Second bolded: Should exclude him from voting

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

To some people, politics dominates every aspect of their lives, so even the “who’s good at football” question has to be seen through their political prism. 

Sad to see really.

I am not into the whole Covid thing, I avoid it

If you are the MVP of the entire league, refuse to be vaccinated, You are an idiot.

Some Green Bay players will never get another shot to win a Superbowl, not to mention playoff money. If Aaron Rogers becomes infected then entire season could be lost .. Its just plain selfish...

I have no choice but to vote for Josh Allen

Think Josh Allen GIF by Buffalo Bills

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

We all know that many voters of such awards allow their views on things other than on-field performance to influence their decisions - consciously or not. It's human nature. With that said, the MVP award should be based on the on-field performances of the candidates. IMO, If a voter openly states that he or she can't do that, then they should be excluded from voting.

First bolded: Irrelevant to MVP voting

Second bolded: Should exclude him from voting

I agree it’s not relevant to MVP voting.  I never said it was , only that it would be considered.  That’s human nature.  This is not a science and there is certainly a popularity contest component to the vote.

• Like (+1) 1

Aaron Rodgers was a massive disruption for his team long before any vaccine issues surfaced.  He held that franchise hostage until training camp.  The vaccine issue just continued the disruption.  Yes, he's a great football player, but also a significant headache and distraction for his team.  To me, that is fair game is considering his candidacy for MVP.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, RobbRiddick said:

I thought his reply was pretty funny. I like it when sportsmen speak what they really think. I've always hated Rodgers but this kind of makes me hate him less

He's got a prickly personality. In general, I don't like his vibe, but he's brave and I respect that. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, FLFan said:

He did not speak the truth, he mentioned he put his organization, fans, etc in a bad spot.

He didn't miss a single game (outside of COVID but so did MANY other players), they are the 1 seed, he's done a LOT for the community, and his teammates love him. Not the mention, MANY players hold out. He is the best player in the league, has done a lot of winner over there and he wants a say in what happens for certain things and wants to feel wanted for by his organization. If Josh did this same thing in 10 years, none of us would be mad (if he had a similar career to Rodgers). 

So what's your point? 

31 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The minute Rodgers mouthed the words "woke mob" he lost votes. 

This guy made comments over the summer as well. Now what?

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, DaggersEOD said:

To some people, politics dominates every aspect of their lives, so even the “who’s good at football” question has to be seen through their political prism. 

Sad to see really.

It might be worth noting that a reporter could object to Rodgers misleading or lying to reporters about his vaccination status on moral grounds, which would not appear to be “political”.  This behavior has been considered unethical since the time of Moses, maybe before.

Rodgers also made  a medical choice that impacted his football availability.  A reporter could consider that un-MVP like behavior: “the best ability is availability.”

Then there’s the issue of a celebrity using his platform to promote medical advice instead of encouraging people to choose a qualified physician and follow their physician’s advice.  Some consider that immoral or unethical.

Only the second of these would be strictly football relevant.  But the others don’t appear political.  Not relevant to play on the field, but not political.

Some people make everything political  though. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.