A Few Thoughts about the Falcons Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Thanks Virgil! It would be sad to lose your thoughtful analysis and opinions. Much like when Bill wrote these, they're always worth reading and often are rather thought provoking. I hope I speak for others saying that we will respect your decision either way. I just want to let you know how so many of us appreciate your work each and every game.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Virgil do what makes you happy, not us. This past week I barely followed GDT because of the sniping, negativity etc... I found myself reading too much or what post I could get in while fresh, instead of just enjoying or hating the game Lol. I originally followed this thread due some of the WNY only sarcasm, humor  & wit, but that is not as common as it used to be. The sun will still rise, pick your spots, Bills fans will always be here, in spirit or on keyboard. Thank you! 

• Like (+1) 1

I wondered if Josh had an extra Red Bull pre game or played Anthrax instead of Sinatra. It was like Nolan Ryan from 5 yards away. To me, it also looked like many plays in the first half were off schedule and ad libbed. Almost nothing came out on time and in rhythm after the first couple to open the game. Was he confused? Was he just looking for big plays and eschewing taking the available short stuff and chain movers  he used so successfully the week before vs NE? It was baffling to me. 

I was happy the O ran the ball well for more than the obvious reason that they showed they could do it. I also was happy it kept the Falcons offense off the field. I realize the Falcons aren't the Chiefs (I mean the Bills gave them 2 points and 3 extra possessions and they still only got to 15 points) but there were times when the holes to run through seemed ginormous and the receivers were open when Ryan bought time to get it there. I thought the 2nd quarter was really disconcerting on both sides of the ball. Just happy they won. Happy too to see how well Bates played. The line looks so much better with a guard that can pull AND be stout and anchor.

Virgil I enjoy your write ups. That said, do what makes you happy. You don't owe us anything.

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

7 - Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory - When Matt Ryan got the taunting penalty against Poyer, only to find out he didn't actually get into the end zone, leading to no points; did anyone else picture that happening to the Bills 5 years ago? 

Yes!  This was the second week in a row where I was strongly reminded of the drought-era Bills.  In the New England game, we had the ball and the lead with 7:30 to go, and the drought teams found a way to lose those games with near 100% regularity to Brady and Belichick.  And you're absolutely right that the taunting penalty would have been a very Billsy way to lose, considering just how creative we got with losing games during the drought.

• Like (+1) 1

Virgil, you have a have uncanny way of writing your game thoughts that identifies your passion and gives us, your readers, the insight we come to enjoy.  Having you is very important voice to this board.  We all wait each week for your knowledgeable post game analysis.  I have no idea what you do for a living, but your ability it write and capture the level of emotion each Bills fan experiences from week to week deserves a forum pro and con.  Good luck on your future writing and know we the Bills fan enjoy every thought, “in no particular order”.

Edited by Ray Ray
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Thanks Virgil, as always.  I echo the sentiments others have expressed that your "thoughts" (and Bill's previously) and Shaw's Rockpile Review are a must read every week.  Who knows, if the Bills get on a roll you can go out with a win!

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Like (+1) 1

Good stuff as usual Virgil.

To point 6. Phillips is frustrating, as he does have ability, yet has been hampered by a variety of injuries. In respect of 'figuring it out in a contract year', I'm convinced that is as much a function of how contracts have to be set up these days.

Instead of being able to bring guys on gradually, when you could sign them for longer contracts, you only have so much time to get them ready.

With lower round picks, I genuinely believe that hampers their development.

Also part of this, are the practise restrictions the NFLPA has negotiated.

Imho, a lot of lower round picks would benefit from more coaching, that doesn't involve any sort of hitting, yet are prevented from getting that by rules.

I also think that a lot of those guys, would be happy to get that coaching, as it would improve their chances of making it in the NFL.

If you did a bit of a dive into plenty of other rosters around the NFL, I'm sure you would see a lot of guys similarly placed as Phillips, in their development.

• Like (+1) 1

6. Recently, Gugny  tried to shame Cody Ford into stepping up. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked so far :(, but sometimes fans can indeed make a difference. Case in point, I will take full credit for Jag Harry's performance over the past month. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Watching the Bills CBs execute perfect technique on those PBUs and then watching the Cowboys CBs try to do it was like night and day. Whoever coaches these DBs is a pro's pro.

Wait! Are you saying we should NOT fire this coaching group? 

I’m so confused…….

@Virgil I love your stuff and always enjoy it. If you decide it’s time for you to fully enjoy the games, I totally get that. You deserve it, and I’ll respect whatever you decide and remain appreciative of your contributions. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love how you cant help but bring up edmunds 😆 partly bc i 100% agree with you.

I truly hope you dont stop writing these. It has been a taxing season for all of us. We were expecting more wins and this season has had some bad lows. I didnt even think we were going to be cheering for the bills in the playoffs up until we beat the patties.

Coach McD was off for the first 3 quarters of the season for some reason, but things started to turn around during the buccaneers game when they made a big come- back.

Otherwise, good win! good post!

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wait! Are you saying we should NOT fire this coaching group? 

I’m so confused…….

@Virgil I love your stuff and always enjoy it. If you decide it’s time for you to fully enjoy the games, I totally get that. You deserve it, and I’ll respect whatever you decide and remain appreciative of your contributions. 

Whoever coaches the DBs should be promoted to head coach AND general manager.

Get those other two clowns out of there.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.