*[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle

Inigo Montoya

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

LOL at every failed Browns QB jumping in to get get shots off at Cabot, as if their horrible performances that ended their careers are HER fault.

Kinda funny, but mostly pathetic. Typical Browns.

It obviously not her fault players fail, but she consistently drums up drama and controversy where there typically is none.  It drives clicks.  It's how she makes money, so I get it.

5 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Right, they shouldn't pay him anywhere near top QB money.  I do believe he is above average, but he is too inconsistent.  This year is kind of hard to say because he got hurt early in the 2nd game of the year and was obviously not the same as he was before.  But only the guys in the building, and Baker himself, will truly know how much that hampered him.  It is extremely odd to have the season he had last year with a brand new head coach, and then regress that bad in year 2 simply by chance.  I think the injury was the major factor, but he is on essentially a 1 year prove it deal next season.  

Either way, Mary Kay isn't a good writer.  There are have been more than once or twice that people have asked if she was serious after questions, and it's not just players and such.  Maybe she isn't good in the way she words questions, but being a writer for this many years, she should have a handle on it by now.

I'm warming up to @GunnerBill's belief Mayfield will be back for his 5th year in Cleveland if . .. 

1. His throwing mechanics are restored by the labrum surgery
  2. There is no rift between him and Stefanski 
  3. Haslam doesn't want to trade up and replace him 
  4. They get him a better receiver core 
  5. They return him to a rollout QB instead of pocket passer as they can't fix the batted down passes
  6. They can't trade for a better option or acquire his replacement via FA

17 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I'm warming up to @GunnerBill's belief Mayfield will be back for his 5th year in Cleveland if . .. 

He should be back for the 5ht year. He's under contract still and the risk of losing him is not yet worth the reward of a replacement. Unless Rodgers or Wilson are going to Cleveland which I don't see likely. But beyond year 5 looks very unlikely.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You and a couple others here might be better plugged-in, but my impression of Mary Kay Cabot is that she’s generally well respected and “plugged in” with Browns sources.

The story she wrote is here:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/01/browns-qb-baker-mayfield-must-resolve-his-differences-with-kevin-stefanski-soon-in-case-they-need-to-co-exist-next-season-mary-kay-cabot.html

(It’s subscriber-only but one can log in for 1 free story)

She gives quotes from Baker on 2 occasions and from Stefanski to bolster the contention that they aren’t on the same page.

I’ve never heard Allen say anything like that.  He’s always “I need to find a few more completions….I can’t put the ball in harm’s way like that” - it’s only very recently in a couple of pressers that I’ve heard him say “we”….and it’s followed with “and that starts with me.”  Likewise I’ve never heard McDermott or Daboll say anything like this about Josh Allen:

It’s always “I have full confidence in Josh” or “I believe in Josh, that’ll never change” after the Falcons game with the two tipped picks “he’s going to have days like that”

It’s hard to know what her sources were for some of the other stuff, like “Mayfield’s issues with Stefanski bubbled below the surface most of the season, with Mayfield feeling like Stefanski’s playcalling didn’t always put him in position to succeed or play to his strengths, sources told cleveland.com” or “If Mayfield doesn’t get reassurance that things will change next season, he’ll consider asking to be traded. He’s under contract for $18.858 million in his fifth-year option year” but Mayfield specifically saying “I’m not your puppet”  seems to imply that he or someone close to him in fact said stuff to Cabot, but doesn’t agree with how it was interpreted or the way the story was put together - maybe he thinks the context was misrepresented or something.

But it seemed pretty straightforward that Mayfield did very well with the play-action bootlegs that were a mainstay last year, and didn’t seem as comfortable with some of the playcalling this season, and he has said some stuff publicly which Cabot quoted.

It doesn’t seem like a “fair call” to say she has no sources or facts.

Josh is a great leader for the team. Look at when they lost to the Jags. The person he blamed was himself. It’s very refreshing

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:47 AM, Scott7975 said:

Either team would be fools to give those QBs an Allen type contract.  Lamar is figured out and isn't a good passer of the football.  Im sure Ill get roll eyes, check marks, and flak for this but I don't care.  I've said it from year one and I will continue to say it.  Lamar is not a good QB.  Probably the best athlete on the field but Lamar said it best... not bad for a RB.

As far as Baker he has played with a pretty bad injury all year so its hard to judge but based on his overall work, I don't think he is very good either.  He turns the ball over too much.  If he stopped that he would be a good game manager though.

If it were me, I would at best franchise tag those QBs or offer them a mid level contract and look to replace them sooner than later.  Anything more than a mid level contract would just set the team back.  Ravens already made that mistake with Flacco.  Will they make the same mistake twice?  Already seen what the Ravens look like this year from injury.  They aren't going to look any better when they can't pay anyone.  Even full strength, Lamar is not winning them a SB.  He is just a regular season super hero.  Not going to get more than that.  Especially not now.  More and more teams are getting better.  More and more teams have figured out the Lamar/Roman formula.  Contain Lamar.  Take Andrews out of the game.  Lamar isn't good enough after that.  I don't care what wideouts they have.

Don’t turn your back on Lamar, and you beat him.

• Like (+1) 1

Out of all those big name QBs in Josh Allen's draft class, how many are going to still be playing for the team that drafted them after next year? 

Maybe only Josh Allen!

It's funny to think of the hype at that time and all the talk...and if some pundit had said "I don't see what all the fuss here is about; the pick of this litter is Josh Allen; the rest are varying shades of bust and won't remain with the team that drafted them for very long."

The guy who said THAT at the time would have been laughed at, and yet he would have been dead on.

Goes to show you cannot form an accurate opinion about any DRAFT DAY DECISION for YEARS.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/5/2022 at 7:30 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Yes - He responded that he did have guys set up to chip him at times and there were a variety of reasons that watt had his way, not just the times Hudson had him 1:1, and threw baker under the bus by saying that sometimes the protection was right but the ball didn’t come out fast enough. 

So what did Baker say after the Steelers game that is being interpreted as “on the outs” with Stefanski?

21 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

So the lack of a running game in Buffalo (though last Sunday there was glimmer of one) along with known problems with the offensive line (again maybe at some level of under repair) fall under the responsibility of Josh Allen. The guy has put the team on his back and carried it except for last week.  He is a once in a generation talent and I am glad the Bills were smart and came to a reasonable agreement with him.

I would have to say Josh Allen did a good bit of carrying last week.  He did throw 3 picks, but he also rushed for 81 yds and 2 TDs.  That’s literally carrying….

Lamar is special... like or hate him he is... Lamar will get paid closer to Josh Allen's contract, but the difference is Lamar's longevity is horrible. Baker is serviceable QB in this league. If i were to guess I would say somewhere between 12-18 in QB contract standards. Sadly both their agents feel they deserve Josh money, and it is not happening. 

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He should be back for the 5ht year. He's under contract still and the risk of losing him is not yet worth the reward of a replacement. Unless Rodgers or Wilson are going to Cleveland which I don't see likely. But beyond year 5 looks very unlikely.

It’s a bad offseason to be in the market for a new QB…

3 hours ago, cle23 said:

It obviously not her fault players fail, but she consistently drums up drama and controversy where there typically is none.  It drives clicks.  It's how she makes money, so I get it.

I mean, it’s a fair point that most sportswriters do this.  For example Joe Buscaglia was all “Bills done with Phillips, going to be traded” when he was a “healthy scratch” for a couple of games last season, then by the end of the season it was clear that was not the case.  Ditto Bills were said by (I think) Joe B, maybe also Sal C, to be all done with Morse when he was a “healthy scratch” for a game (or was it 2?) last season, now the coaches are all about “playing his best football this season”.

But it’s one thing to say a reporter is writing in an attention- or click-grabbing way, and another to claim they have no sources and are essentially just making stuff up.

Which it doesn’t seem quite fair.

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s a bad offseason to be in the market for a new QB…

??

Watson

?Wilson?

?Rodgers?

Trubisky

maybe Bridgewater

and of course, Draft.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, it’s a fair point that most sportswriters do this.  For example Joe Buscaglia was all “Bills done with Phillips, going to be traded” when he was a “healthy scratch” for a couple of games last season, then by the end of the season it was clear that was not the case.  Ditto Bills were said by (I think) Joe B, maybe also Sal C, to be all done with Morse when he was a “healthy scratch” for a game (or was it 2?) last season, now the coaches are all about “playing his best football this season”.

But it’s one thing to say a reporter is writing in an attention- or click-grabbing way, and another to claim they have no sources and are essentially just making stuff up.

Which it doesn’t seem quite fair.

??

Watson

?Wilson?

?Rodgers?

Trubisky

maybe Bridgewater

and of course, Draft.

The first three are under contract and would require a team to mortgage it’s future…and of course, it’s anyone’s guess whether Watson even sees the field in 2022. Bridgewater?  Really?  

I agree Trubisky’s not a bad option, but no one really wanted him last year and he hasn’t done anything to burnish his resume. no one’s going to hand him their starting job.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

??

Watson

?Wilson?

?Rodgers?

Trubisky

maybe Bridgewater

and of course, Draft.

First 3 are all under contract with either clauses, or some ability to control where they go.

List looks a lot worse when it's just the true FAs.

Draft doesnt look promising this year either.

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First 3 are all under contract with either clauses, or some ability to control where they go.

List looks a lot worse when it's just the true FAs.

Draft doesnt look promising this year either.

Thought Rodgers came back to play for GB this season on the understanding he’d be free next year

44 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Lamar is special... like or hate him he is... Lamar will get paid closer to Josh Allen's contract, but the difference is Lamar's longevity is horrible. Baker is serviceable QB in this league. If i were to guess I would say somewhere between 12-18 in QB contract standards. Sadly both their agents feel they deserve Josh money, and it is not happening. 

Does Lamar have an agent now?

4 hours ago, cle23 said:

So she's Cleveland's version of Jerry Sullivan.....

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thought Rodgers came back to play for GB this season on the understanding he’d be free next year

Not sure what that understanding would actually look like since he is technically under contract for 2 more seasons after this. And releasing him this offseason would hit GB with a $26M dead cap cost. Can both sides just agree to "void" a contract? Would the league go for that? (mostly rhetorical since Im not sure any of us would know)

The 2023 year is basically voided. But there are still contract issues to work through for next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

43 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

We’ll see if Lamar gets a huge new deal.  IMHO the Ravens not giving him a new deal at the latest after Josh got his makes me think they have reservations.  And I doubt this season has done anything to change that.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what did Baker say after the Steelers game that is being interpreted as “on the outs” with Stefanski?

I would have to say Josh Allen did a good bit of carrying last week.  He did throw 3 picks, but he also rushed for 81 yds and 2 TDs.  That’s literally carrying….

Baker made comments that Hudson should have had help with watt, implicating the HC 

1 hour ago, loyal2dagame said:

Not at all. Vic Carruci maybe (now retired) 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, loyal2dagame said:

I’ll say that I don’t follow the Cleveland new media, but I don’t think that’s a good characterization.

Sullivan for years was an “opinion column” man, and during the Bills drought slid into a schtick of knee-jerk negativity about everything.  EVERYTHING, even the mini-bagels in the press box.  

Cabot to my understanding is a legitimate sports reporter.  Sure, she may try to slant things in a controversial way to generate clicks, just as Joe B does, but I don’t think she typically has a rep for making stuff up - and the article Mayfield is calling out seems built around actual quotes from pressers plus unnamed “sources”.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’ll say that I don’t follow the Cleveland new media, but I don’t think that’s a good characterization.

Sullivan for years was an “opinion column” man, and during the Bills drought slid into a schtick of knee-jerk negativity about everything.  EVERYTHING, even the mini-bagels in the press box.  

Cabot is a legitimate sports reporter.  Sure, she may try to slant things in a controversial way to generate clicks, just as Joe B does, but I don’t think she typically has a rep for making stuff up - and the article Mayfield is calling out seems built around actual quotes from pressers plus unnamed “sources”.  

That’s right. She works for the Cleveland plain dealer. She’s a real reporter. She doesn’t write her own headlines. She’s not negative. She’s not “drumming up drama”. She reports what she hears. Browns fans don’t like it because they don’t want drama around the team  but “baker the content maker” is the one driving the clicks not her. And of you listen to any objective person they will say the same thing including the radio media who have been saying any criticism of her is a joke in this regard. Only the fans in denial rag on her. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.