How the Bills have used more Gap Scheme concepts to improve their run game.

HoofHearted

nice analysis!

Daboll must read this site because people have been screaming for months to stop trying to be a zone run team when our 3 interior lineman can't get any push. What they can do is move in space. 

all of a sudden we have a decent (not spectacular) run game. 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I am still worried that the Bills are far too dependent on JA as a runner.  As a part of this, too much RPO. You can’t keep putting your Franchise QB out where one hit can take him out for a season. Sorry, but the time has come to say “no.”

I am ok with the “extend the play” and scrambling. Let’s just not use the guy like he is a RB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Very likely the Bills get TN in round two.  Their run D is elite.  They only rush four and they play a ton of coverage behind their front.  In our last meeting they were missing the health of that DL.  Dupree is really great at setting edge and giving an occasional push

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cover1 did a run analysis after last season where they pointed out one change from 2019 to 2020 was a change from gap to zone runs

It never made sense to me why did they make that change in the first place?

Idk, but I imagine it goes hand in hand with their inability to identify the best starting OL configuration.

23 minutes ago, Bruce Smith said:

Very likely the Bills get TN in round two.  Their run D is elite.  They only rush four and they play a ton of coverage behind their front.  In our last meeting they were missing the health of that DL.  Dupree is really great at setting edge and giving an occasional push

The Titans played with a full squad on DL as Landry, Dupree, Simmons, Autry, Tart and Jones all played.  Both teams were pretty much at full strength.  

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Bruce Smith said:

Most of your posts are about how great TN is with a little NE is good thrown in. I'm skeptical that you are Bruce Smith.

1 minute ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

I just wanna put it out there in the universe that Zack Moss had a nice game running the ball against the Falcons and I feel like he went mostly unnoticed. 

No, no. This is not allowed.

• Haha (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I am still worried that the Bills are far too dependent on JA as a runner.  As a part of this, too much RPO. You can’t keep putting your Franchise QB out where one hit can take him out for a season. Sorry, but the time has come to say “no.”

I am ok with the “extend the play” and scrambling. Let’s just not use the guy like he is a RB.

If Josh is running on an RPO we're not doing something right.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cover1 did a run analysis after last season where they pointed out one change from 2019 to 2020 was a change from gap to zone runs

It never made sense to me why did they make that change in the first place?

Zone is what Daboll wants to be. We're not athletic enough across the board up front in order to do it efficiently though.

30 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

The Titans played with a full squad on DL as Landry, Dupree, Simmons, Autry, Tart and Jones all played.  Both teams were pretty much at full strength.  

Don't think that is true.  Dupree was still on a pitch count for his ACL and Tart got hurt early.  Yesterday was the first game all season TN starting Oline was on the field together. And the basically played the entire game.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Sorry but that's just not the case. Running qb's are not more prone to injury, based on a rather large sample size of all orthopedic injuries in the NFL from 1980-2018.

https://www.theundroppables.com/medical-myths-mobile-qbs/

https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/new-study-quarterbacks-that-run-most-are-not-injured-most/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

If Josh is running on an RPO we're not doing something right.

Zone is what Daboll wants to be. We're not athletic enough across the board up front in order to do it efficiently though.

the thing is -our strength (as much as you can say it is our strength)  is pulling the 3 interior o line.

if you mean not strong when you say  not athletic I would agree with you- we get zero push so when we zone block at least one of the GCG gets blown back into the RB and then they fight to get back to the LOS. it's beating your head against the wall to keep doing this the majority of the time. 

they all are better at moving quickly in space than they are at pushing guys back 5 yards like the Colts(who do everything good) or the old Cowboys lines. This way they get a head of steam. 26 can follow into a hole and the backside defenders play catch up. 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.