Caffeine - America’s #1 addiction - what’s your source?

BuffaloBill

How do you get your caffeine intake?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your source of caffeine?

• Coffee - as in the old fashioned kind that my grandparents enjoyed out of a pot
    • Coffee - as in something you would buy at Starbucks and need a barista to make
    • Tea - Hot
    • Tea - Iced
    • Energy drink
    • Pop (Soda)
    • Something else?

For the most part none.

I never acquired a taste for coffee, but I never really tried. To be honest, I don’t know if I’ve ever even drank a full cup of coffee total, in my life (and I’m not exactly young...). 

and the only soda I really drink anymore is Ginger Ale.

I used to drink soda as a kid but I don’t really drink it now. Maybe I’ll have a few sips with dinner if I’m out somewhere and that’s the only choice but that’s about it.

Caffeine tends to make me feel jittery anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

I do very little caffeine, just an Arnold Palmer (half lemonade, half unsweetened tea) or two at lunch. The exception is when I’m driving long distance. Then I bring out the Big Guns and drink Diet Mountain Dew while munching on salt and vinegar chips. I don’t know how or when that started, but that is the routine.

My wife used to do a Diet Mt Dew early in the afternoon until she realized how much she missed it when it didn’t happen. She decided to quit it all together and struggled. She’d even call or text on days when she fell of the wagon. She went thru a period of some pretty intense headaches trying to get off the devil’s juice! 

3 hours ago, BritBill said:

I stopped drinking coffee and anything which obviously had caffeine in around 2 years ago.

My word the withdrawal symptoms were bad. Headaches for around 3 days. I couldn’t focus on anything and was a really angry man. 

I didn’t even drink that much coffee. Maybe 3 cups a day. 

Once the first week was over the withdrawal signs were gone and I was sleeping like a drunk log. 

i did the same. Did one of those cleansing 14-day vegan diets too at the same time. It was like death for 3 days. My whole body, head, joints ached. 

after the 14 days, I considered giving up caffeine for fear of another bout of withdrawal down the road. But i went back to it.

just drink about a 20-ounce cup of coffee with cream and a few Splendas every morning. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i was a big French press guy, but love and much prefer my pour over now. A much cleaner taste. 

Agreed. 

The only thing is that there has been a bit of a learning curve with the pour-over method. It's really easy to make a decent cup of coffee, but it takes a little finesse to make a GREAT cup of coffee.

Now that I've learned some tips and tricks, there's no better method in the world for making a perfect cup.

20 hours ago, Augie said:

I do very little caffeine, just an Arnold Palmer (half lemonade, half unsweetened tea) or two at lunch. The exception is when I’m driving long distance. Then I bring out the Big Guns and drink Diet Mountain Dew while munching on salt and vinegar chips. I don’t know how or when that started, but that is the routine.

My wife used to do a Diet Mt Dew early in the afternoon until she realized how much she missed it when it didn’t happen. She decided to quit it all together and struggled. She’d even call or text on days when she fell of the wagon. She went thru a period of some pretty intense headaches trying to get off the devil’s juice! 

Can of Dew is only 50mg... Mild adverse effects are usually at 200mg a day... A Good threshold.  400mg is considered a good upper limit.  She must be super sensitive to caffeine!

50mg, is like a 1/2 cup... 4oz. of Weak coffee.

Excedrin is aspirin with caffeine. 65mg per pill.  That's like taking one Excedrin/day and missing it. That's kinda low to be experiencing caffeine withdrawal!

Caffeine constricts the blood blood flow to brain.  Coming off it, the blood is rushing back... Hence the ill effects.

What keeps me awake while driving is a Monster Zero-Sugar and a SlimJim or similar.  No/little carbs.  Feed me carbs and it's officially sleepy 😴 🥱 time

I drink 2 mugs of brewed coffee every morning, and that's pretty much it for the day.

I am always amazed at the very strong and palpable impact that caffeine has on my body.

It's actually quite a strong drug.  

I wouldn't be able to wake up or function without it.

• Agree 1

my church has a ministry wherein organic Honduran coffee is imported to the USA by the hundreds of pounds. I design  and produce decorative bags to show the coffee and entice buyers at Craft fairs, street fairs, churches etc. It is a fundraiser wherein proceeds go toward funding for a poor childrens hospital in san pedro sula Honduras.  It is excellent coffee, fresh as it gets. My daughter grinds whole beans. It is a medium roast almost a breakfast blend taste. www.coffee4kidshonduras.com

I prefer Kirkland regular roast in my ninja coffeemaker iced coffee setting. It makes great iced coffee. Or plop some tea bags and adjust the dial for hot tea. I drink both frequently. I like my coffee dark roast with stevia and creamer.

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

my church has a ministry wherein organic Honduran coffee is imported to the USA by the hundreds of pounds. I design  and produce decorative bags to show the coffee and entice buyers at Craft fairs, street fairs, churches etc. It is a fundraiser wherein proceeds go toward funding for a poor childrens hospital in san pedro sula Honduras.  It is excellent coffee, fresh as it gets. My daughter grinds whole beans. It is a medium roast almost a breakfast blend taste. www.coffee4kidshonduras.com

I prefer Kirkland regular roast in my ninja coffeemaker iced coffee setting. It makes great iced coffee. Or plop some tea bags and adjust the dial for hot tea. I drink both frequently. I like my coffee dark roast with stevia and creamer.

This sounded sketchy as hell to lead with lol 

• Haha (+1) 2

For me it is Thai Tea.  Thai Tea is not like a lot of other teas and my wife makes me a pot in coffee maker with non-dairy creamer and Stevia.

I drink it hot but if I do not finish it I put in fridge and drink it cold.  Sometimes I just drink it cold.

One other source of caffeine is chocolate. The darker the chocolate the more the caffeine there is and I prefer dark chocolate but I am supposed to be limiting it for my diabetes diet.  

19 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i was a big French press guy, but love and much prefer my pour over now. A much cleaner taste. 

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Agreed. 

The only thing is that there has been a bit of a learning curve with the pour-over method. It's really easy to make a decent cup of coffee, but it takes a little finesse to make a GREAT cup of coffee.

Now that I've learned some tips and tricks, there's no better method in the world for making a perfect cup.

Agreed.  I used pour over method for years, but now I am too old and lazy for this method.  My son in law in Ottawa has raised it to a fine art with digital scale for correct weights, and a temperature controlled kettle.

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Agreed.  I used pour over method for years, but now I am too old and lazy for this method.  My son in law in Ottawa has raised it to a fine art with digital scale for correct weights, and a temperature controlled kettle.

i know the real pros measure out just the right amount of coffee, and grind their beans to the best size, pour the water at the right temp and in the right fashion, etc.

i haven’t gotten to that point.

i sort of figured out a regular ground coffee I like, eyeball it, and generally get the water right. I can tell when I hit a home run, but even if I am

off, the pour over makes a great cup of coffee.

when I was using my french press, the coffee was just too oily. Having it filtered through a pour over makes a huge difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2021 at 9:45 AM, Gugny said:

I drink my coffee black; no sugar, no cream.

On work days, I drink 1-2 cups before leaving the house; then one cup on the road.  I stop after that.  That's been my pattern for the past six years.  Before that, I used to drink coffee all day, every day whilst working.  

I use a Keurig and my go-to is Cafe Bustelo.  If Walmart is out, then my backup is Tim Horton's dark roast.

On weekends, I drink an average of 4 cups per day on Saturday and Sunday.

I will be working from home starting mid-January.  I'm going to need to control my coffee intake since it'll be very convenient for me.  

I just switched jobs to work fully remotely 3 weeks ago. My coffee intake has tripled because it’s so convenient. It’s pretty freaking wonderful, to be honest. 

• Agree 1

Diet soda for me, with lunch, whether it is a small 10oz can or 40+oz big cup from a convenience store.  

As for my wife, she discovered Wake The Hell Up k-cups a couple years ago, from a place in Utica.  

Wake The Hell Up! Coffee – Utica Coffee Roasting Co.

Wake The Hell Up! is a dark-roasted, high-quality, ultra-caffeinated coffee. Using a secret blend of arabica & robusta coffees to balance flavor and caffeine; we are able to get you up to 50% more caffeine per cup than your average house blend. No bitterness & no jitters! Everything is roasted at our facility at 117 Hotel St in small batches ensuring the output of a truly outstanding blend.

Edited by Just Jack

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.