I NEVER WANT TO SEE THE QBR STAT EVER AGAIN!!!!

Protocal69

Do you guys know that Zach Wilson who was 14/22 64% for 102 yards 4.6 yards per completion 101 yards passing  1 TD and 0 int with 91 yards rushing on 4 att had a higher QBR (92.4) than Joe Burrow who was 37/46 80%  and threw for 525 yards 11.4 yards per completion 4TD and no ints and had a QBR (89.3)

Can someone please explain how this is remotely possible. Remember I think a perfect QBR is 100. ESPN should take that metric and throw it out of the window if that is the case. Crazy. 

Edited by Protocal69
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 10
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

While I believe it was an honest attempt to quantify the overall performance of a QB, that included rushing, it has pretty much failed to achieve that.

There are simply too many instances like the one mentioned above, for it to be taken seriously. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nobody worth their salt takes that metric seriously. It fails time and time again to actually quantify the performance of a quarterback.

The real thing to wonder is why ESPN didn't throw it out years ago. They still use it, and not even as a joke.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

There are far worse discrepancies.

“Rodgers, whose Packers won at the Georgia Dome, completed 26 of 39 passes for 396 yards and two touchdowns. His Total QBR was 82.1.

Tebow, whose Broncos lost at home to the Chargers, completed four of 10 passes for 79 yards and a touchdown. And he ran the ball six times for 38 yards and a touchdown. And his Total QBR was 83.2”

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Do you guys know that Zach Wilson who was 14/22 64% for 102 yards 4.6 yards per completion 101 yards passing  1 TD and 0 int with 91 yards rushing on 4 att had a higher QBR (92.4) than Joe Burrow who was 37/46 80%  and threw for 525 yards 11.4 yards per completion 4TD and no ints and had a QBR (89.3)

Can someone please explain how this is remotely possible. Remember I think a perfect QBR is 100. ESPN should take that metric and throw it out of the window if that is the case. Crazy. 

At least it’s based out of 100.  The other QB Rating has a max of 158.3.  Where did they get that from?  Does anybody have a clue how it works?  I’ve seen multiple QBs score a 158.3 with different stats.  To me, a max rating should be 100% completion rate, a TD for every pass, and 99 yards per pass.  Then you work back from there.  

We learn most things based out of 100.  Normal percent calculations are based out of 100.  Test scores are out of 100.  Our monetary system is based out of 100.   How can anyone relate to 158.3?!  Eventually we learned that anything over 90 is very good.  If it was based out of 100, it would be easier to understand.

Stepping off of soapbox now.  🙂

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BobbyC81 said:

At least it’s based out of 100.  The other QB Rating has a max of 158.3.  Where did they get that from?  Does anybody have a clue how it works?  I’ve seen multiple QBs score a 158.3 with different stats.  To me, a max rating should be 100% completion rate, a TD for every pass, and 99 yards per pass.  Then you work back from there.  

We learn most things based out of 100.  Normal percent calculations are based out of 100.  Test scores are out of 100.  Our monetary system is based out of 100.   How can anyone relate to 158.3?!  Eventually we learned that anything over 90 is very good.  If it was based out of 100, it would be easier to understand.

Just wait until you hear about college passer rating. 

54 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Stepping off of soapbox now.  🙂

Your using common sense...it's not so common anymore.

1 hour ago, QCity said:

There are far worse discrepancies.

“Rodgers, whose Packers won at the Georgia Dome, completed 26 of 39 passes for 396 yards and two touchdowns. His Total QBR was 82.1.

Tebow, whose Broncos lost at home to the Chargers, completed four of 10 passes for 79 yards and a touchdown. And he ran the ball six times for 38 yards and a touchdown. And his Total QBR was 83.2”

I remember the Rodgers one but that Tebow one is crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

The 'traditional' QB rating, is actually just a passing rater. But it is exactly the same for everyone. In the above quoted one, Rodgers gets a passer rating of 117.04

Tebow gets one of 101.67

Burrow gets a passer rating of 143.21, Wilson 89.58

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buddo said:

The 'traditional' QB rating, is actually just a passing rater. But it is exactly the same for everyone. In the above quoted one, Rodgers gets a passer rating of 117.04

Tebow gets one of 101.67

Burrow gets a passer rating of 143.21, Wilson 89.58

QBR was created for QBs like Tebow 😛

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

QBR includes rushing.  Wilson rushed for 91 yards on 4 carries.  Burrow had 11 yards on 2.  There it is. 

6 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

QBR includes some kind of analytic about how important a play is to the outcome of a game. Basically if you fumble on 50 yd line in a game where your team is up 40 pts it is not the same as fumbling on the one yard line when your team is down 5 in the last minute. Though sometimes it gets stupid obviously.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.