Daboll a consideration for Jags HC

DallasBillsFan1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Man, it would be so great if Daboll would identify as African American so the Bills could get a 3rd round draft pick when he departs...😉

I grew up in West Seneca at about the same time Daboll did.  Went to West Seneca East.  I think there was ONE black student in the entire school.  Not a diverse community.

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Man, it would be so great if Daboll would identify as African American so the Bills could get a 3rd round draft pick when he departs...😉

It would be possible.  We had rental property for a tenant who received American Indian aid whose amount of Indian blood had to be less than 25%.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

I grew up in West Seneca at about the same time Daboll did.  Went to West Seneca East.  I think there was ONE black student in the entire school.  Not a diverse community.

I went to Frontier Central High School and I know there were a couple of students who did not identify themselves as black but were.

I was officer of varsity club and was handling varsity jackets; we asked for pictures of players with jackets for collage and for one player I asked who was in picture and he said it was his family and maybe he should use a different picture.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Brian Daboll is not on the hot seat you think he is.

I wouldn't say he's on a hot seat...but I definitely think he's under McD's microscope.

There have been a few times post game when McD is asked about a bad offensive performance that he has replied in almost the same way as he did when Rick Dennison was here. Almost verbatim in tone and words. 

I think if the Bills don't improve on a few things offensively (such as scoring TDs in the Red Zone) that replacing him is on the table if they feel they can find an upgrade.

6 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I wouldn't say he's on a hot seat...but I definitely think he's under McD's microscope.

There have been a few times post game when McD is asked about a bad offensive performance that he has replied in almost the same way as he did when Rick Dennison was here. Almost verbatim in tone and words. 

I think if the Bills don't improve on a few things offensively (such as scoring TDs in the Red Zone) that replacing him is on the table if they feel they can find an upgrade.

While I do think it's probable that Daboll feels some pressure from McD, I think McD places most of the blame for the offense's inconsistencies on the OL.  

Despite some of our struggles, the offense is still top 10 in points/game and yards/game.   Those kinds of rankings usually don't get an OC fired.   If Daboll had even an average OL to work with, we'd easily be top 5.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I agree.

Dunno what's with Bills fans but that 6 point offensive performance by Buffalo against the 1-6 Jags with the 30th ranked defense in week 9 should have sealed the deal for me about his future in Buffalo.

Like others have mentioned I think McD read both Frazier and Daboll the riot act at half time of that Buc's game...things changed!!  McD took over play calling for the defense... and suddenly the Buffalo offense found a run game. 

What's most interesting to me was the way the Bills ran right at Tampa's rushers... or the spot where they were... once they went by the line. While not running the ball by a RB in the entire first half of that game...Singletary went 4 rushes for 29 yards, 3 first downs. That's a 13.0 YPC AVG.

Where was this all season? 

So, the Bills can run the ball... and the RBs are not horrid...and the O line is not horrid. Suddenly the offense was working like it did for most of last season. Strange stuff against the world Champs. The Bills still came up short because of their red zone problems that have plagued them all season. 

It remains to be seen if the Bills can win out against Carolina, NE, Atlanta and the NY Jets and finish 11-6. If they do then perhaps McD won't can the guy!

However, that might be enough to get him hired away...cheers! 

• Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

While I do think it's probable that Daboll feels some pressure from McD, I think McD places most of the blame for the offense's inconsistencies on the OL.  

Despite some of our struggles, the offense is still top 10 in points/game and yards/game.   Those kinds of rankings usually don't get an OC fired.   If Daboll had even an average OL to work with, we'd easily be top 5.  

I don't know that I agree with this. McD is a huge believer in teaching and coaching players up. Putting them in ths best situation to be successful. Success starts at coaching. 

As bad as this line has played it times it's been a mixed bag as to why. While talent has been an issue we also have seen both tackles regress (while we believe Dawkins is due to COVID McD has downplayed that angle when asked). Feliciano, while never an All-Pro has seemed to take a step back as well. Ford, who McD calls a "good football player" has struggled. Morse has been the only starter from last year that has even somewhat stayed the same. 

More importantly we really haven't seen Daboll adjust well to the struggles upfront. His idea of still spreading it out and giving little help to this tackles (does he even know it's legal for a RB or TE to "chip" a DE on the way to their route?) has been a disaster at times. 

It's like when you cook dinner. Would be great to have prime rib every night. However, sometimes when you open the fridge and see ground beef you have to make due and still create a tasty meal. Seems like all Daboll knows how to cook is Hamburger Helper. And while that can be ok once in a while (Cheeseburger Mac is the best IMO) he serves the same dish night after night...even though not one eats it.

25 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I don't know that I agree with this. McD is a huge believer in teaching and coaching players up. Putting them in ths best situation to be successful. Success starts at coaching. 

As bad as this line has played it times it's been a mixed bag as to why. While talent has been an issue we also have seen both tackles regress (while we believe Dawkins is due to COVID McD has downplayed that angle when asked). Feliciano, while never an All-Pro has seemed to take a step back as well. Ford, who McD calls a "good football player" has struggled. Morse has been the only starter from last year that has even somewhat stayed the same. 

More importantly we really haven't seen Daboll adjust well to the struggles upfront. His idea of still spreading it out and giving little help to this tackles (does he even know it's legal for a RB or TE to "chip" a DE on the way to their route?) has been a disaster at times. 

It's like when you cook dinner. Would be great to have prime rib every night. However, sometimes when you open the fridge and see ground beef you have to make due and still create a tasty meal. Seems like all Daboll knows how to cook is Hamburger Helper. And while that can be ok once in a while (Cheeseburger Mac is the best IMO) he serves the same dish night after night...even though not one eats it.

I am sorry it is not true that Daboll hasn't adjusted his plans. We haven't just played spread formations all year. We have tried to mix it up more, we have used some different sets but he is hamstrung in a sense by the oline first and foremost (they have definitely tried to simplify some of their blocking concepts as the year has gone on) and by the fact we only have one guy on the roster worth calling an NFL Tight End.  

The biggest legit knock on Daboll is the redzone. I don't think the redzone is all on playcalling but we haven't ever found an identity or a rhythm down there all year and that ultimately does come down to what we are trying to do and how we attack what defenses are showing us.

I would not move on from Daboll personally. I don't think that is the answer to the problems. I think McDermott might, but unless they can improve the personnel around Josh some of the underperformance on offense will continue. If they try and turn the Bills offense into some sort of power run scheme then it will be a disaster. Josh is a guy who needs to be in rhythm and feeling the ball in his hands. Treating him like Baker Mayfield will negate our own best asset. If McDermott fires Daboll and hires a ball control, run first coordinator I will move to the "McDermott is a problem" side of the fence very quickly. Josh Allen throwing the ball is the best thing we have. Build around that don't pare it back.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry it is not true that Daboll hasn't adjusted his plans. We haven't just played spread formations all year. We have tried to mix it up more, we have used some different sets but he is hamstrung in a sense by the oline first and foremost (they have definitely tried to simplify some of their blocking concepts as the year has gone on) and by the fact we only have one guy on the roster worth calling an NFL Tight End.  

The biggest legit knock on Daboll is the redzone. I don't think the redzone is all on playcalling but we haven't ever found an identity or a rhythm down there all year and that ultimately does come down to what we are trying to do and how we attack what defenses are showing us.

I would not move on from Daboll personally. I don't think that is the answer to the problems. I think McDermott might, but unless they can improve the personnel around Josh some of the underperformance on offense will continue. If they try and turn the Bills offense into some sort of power run scheme then it will be a disaster. Josh is a guy who needs to be in rhythm and feeling the ball in his hands. Treating him like Baker Mayfield will negate our own best asset. If McDermott fires Daboll and hires a ball control, run first coordinator I will move to the "McDermott is a problem" side of the fence very quickly. Josh Allen throwing the ball is the best thing we have. Build around that don't pare it back.

In fairness, I didn't say he hasn't adjusted...I said he hasn't adjusted well. Be that due to talent, design or playcalling he hasn't found the answers as of yet. 

I'm with you on the red zone issues. I also don't think it's a coincidence that we are having issues down there in a year that is seeing Josh seemingly scrambling less when we get close.

I don't think McD's idea is to turn the team into a power run team. Rather a team that can run with power if need be. I really believe thatbto field the team he wants we need multiple backs...much like NE has always operated. Give me and every down guy (and I believe Motor can be that guy especially behind an improved line). A pass catcher with some shifty abilities. And finally a grinder that can pound a team late in games or in every bad conditions. I think Moss was supposed to be that guy. But obviously this team needs to be and I believe will stay pass heavy.

Edited by No Place To Hyde

Let me ask, did the Tampa defense let up in the second half against that Chiefs in the super bowl? Or, did they keep after him all game long and make him look like a chicken with it's head cut off...all...game...long!

Tampa Bay game, Bills QB Josh Allen was sacked 3x in that first half, 12 of 20 for 130 yards, 43 rush yards and Allen being the sole Buffalo rusher. So much pressure on Allen even when the Bucs don't blitz. 24-3 and things looked hopeless for Buffalo.

That first series in the second half by Buffalo, the Bills tried to get the ball out quicker and on 4th down...fake punt! What a disaster! 

The next series the first play the Bills ran Singletary off RT for a 29 yard run and right where the CB #23 was blitzing from, Mitch Morse took out two defenders on that long run. Next play a quick out to Diggs.

So what happened in the second half? Tampa didn't let up on defense as they kept up the pressure just like in the SB.

Quick passes to Bease worked, screen didn't work, screen did work. Allen rushes for a TD! Spencer Brown pancaking a Buc on one play! 

The Bills started running the ball!!! When the run game works... it stops the all out blitzing. Suddenly the Bills offensive line doesn't look so bad...suddenly the Buffalo RB's don't look so bad as those two units have been getting most of the blame all season.  

Suddenly, because the Bills are successfully running the ball by the RB's and the QB... it also gives Allen more time in the pocket because the Bucs now need to be concerned with the run. 

Where was this all season? 

Buc's fans, Buc's players and Buc's ownership were all crapping their pants and the end of that OT game. This was against the 9-3 SB Champs in Tampa! 

P.S. Think the Bills should have been targeting Cole Beasley more this year?

Tony Romo marveling about how good Josh Allen's arm is...he is thinking that the Buffalo Bills are downright crazy calling QB runs when you have a QB with an arm like that...

10 hours ago, Mat68 said:

How much of the offense is Bienemy?  5% 10%.  How much of what Kc does could a rebuilding team replicate?  Mahomes, Hill and Kelce are unicorn freak shows.  He could be a real genius but those are real questions owners and people hiring would have to wrestle with.  

Plus he has a tricky legal history. I think they are many reasons EB hasn't gotten a job yet

11 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If the Bills don’t go on a very impressive run from now through the Super Bowl, he’s not going to be here either.

Like most I have seen enough of Daboll and hope he goes unless a miracle happens and they get back to the final 4 (my current benchmark for a successful season). In the real world I think his jettison number is 8 wins. He’s safe at 10 wins and a one and done playoff appearance.  He could possibly hang on as Bills OC with a 9-8 season no playoffs.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.