Change Pass Interference to 15 yd penalty (edited title)

Mikie2times

Most of you are probably aware of this but in college football pass interference is a 15 yard penalty. I like that it's a 15 yards penalty. I do not trust the referees ability to judge PI in real life and do not want the risk of a penalty being called that is undetermined in length. If you object I imagine it's most likely out of the fear defenders will start tackling open WR's downfield. I used to think that way, never happens. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a clearly defeated college player decide that committing a penalty is better than not committing one. No player can react that logically with something so instinctual, in real time, and those speeds. It NEVER happens. 

15 Yards, good idea, bad idea?

• Like (+1) 9
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Most of you are probably aware of this but in college football pass interference is a 15 yard penalty. I like that it's a 15 yards penalty. I do not trust the referees ability to judge PI in real life and do not want the risk of a penalty being called that is undetermined in length. If you object I imagine it's most likely out of the fear defenders will start tackling open WR's downfield. I used to think that way, never happens. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a clearly defeated college player decide that committing a penalty is better than not committing one. No player can react that logically with something so instinctual, in real time, and those speeds. It NEVER happens. 

I think it's a good idea.   PI is the only penalty in pro football that awards yardage based on an assumption something would have happened.   Who knows whether the ball would have been caught?   Nobody.  

Why don't they give a touchdown if a receiver holds, based on the assumption that but for the hold, the guy would have gone for a TD?   

Teams, including the Bills throw deep in part because they know the chances are good they can get a penalty worth 30-40 yards.  I don't like it.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

I think they’re trying to disincentivize dbs just tackling receivers while the ball is in the air to save tds. Which wouldn’t you know it is exactly what happened to diggs in the end zone Sunday 🤣

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think they’re trying to disincentivize dbs just tackling receivers while the ball is in the air to save tds. Which wouldn’t you know it is exactly what happened to diggs in the end zone Sunday 🤣

That's the spirit of the rule, but I don't think the rule can be fairly applied and I also don't think the rule alters play. If anybody can recall a moment watching a college game where this occurred, I can't and I've watched a disgusting amount of college football.  

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

It’s another way they adjusted to help them

steer outcomes. All their changes have been for this reason. The extra point being moved to 33 yards is the most obvious shout out and also helps them steer outcomes. You have to stop taking this league at face value, assuming that like any other business, they’re attempting to make their product or service better. Obviously the NFL is not doing this. It’s all for other reasons, actually to the detriment of their product, and very few of you seem to want to accept this.

I have thought going with the college 15 yard rule was a good idea for many years now.

Giving the ball at the spot of the foul is often a gigantic penalty, and you're not sure the player would have caught the ball in the absence of the foul anyway!

15 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

How about having a 2 tier type of penalty.

If PI is "egregious" it's the spot of the foul.  I.E., the DB was horribly beaten and tackled the WR to avoid a huge completion.  

If not, it's 15 yards.  

It would still require the official to exercise subjective discretion (which is a terrible idea) but it might be a sound approach overall.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I have thought going with the college 15 yard rule was a good idea for many years now.

Giving the ball at the spot of the foul is often a gigantic penalty, and you're not sure the player would have caught the ball in the absence of the foul anyway!

If PI is "egregious" it's the spot of the foul.  I.E., the DB was horribly beaten and tackled the WR to avoid a huge completion.  

If not, it's 15 yards.  

It would still require the official to exercise subjective discretion (which is a terrible idea) but it might be a sound approach overall.

Logically that’s a great idea…they used to have that for face masks right?  I don’t trust these guys with judgement calls at all though lol I’m honestly at the point where I think no ref backyard football rules where players call their own fouls on the honor system would be a better product lol if penalties were completely turned off we maybe win against the bucs…part that pissed me off was not only were the bucs getting away with stuff but we were also getting hit with it 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If not, it's 15 yards.  

I can't trust egregious and not egregious with these guys. It would put us right back to a indisputable vs disputable and they don't get that right with unlimited time and slow motion. 

27 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

If you are talking about rule changes, can we get rid of the fair catch? I watch the CFL a lot and their rule is they have to give the receiving player 5 yards to make a play. 

They also have 20 yard deep end zones, and a punt or kickoff that is not returned can give the kicking team a point, called a rouge.  Doubtful the NFL with their emphasis on player injury avoidance would ever force a returner to return a kick.

51 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

So one thing that has to be taken I to consideration with the college rule is that a lot of these corner backs in college can’t react quickly enough to tackle some of these receivers as they run right by them, which is why you don’t see many wide receivers get tackled for a DPI. That won’t happen in the pros. It seems that I’m in the minority, but I’m fine with it being a spot foul

20 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Make PI a coaches challenge. It works in the CFL and is limited to once a game if you have a timeout. Had the Bills had any timeouts they could have challenged the endzone pass play. But the Big time NFL cant possibly poach a good idea from the two bit CFL can they?

2019 wasn't that long ago.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think it's a good idea.   PI is the only penalty in pro football that awards yardage based on an assumption something would have happened.   Who knows whether the ball would have been caught?   Nobody.  

Why don't they give a touchdown if a receiver holds, based on the assumption that but for the hold, the guy would have gone for a TD?   

Teams, including the Bills throw deep in part because they know the chances are good they can get a penalty worth 30-40 yards.  I don't like it.  

Problem is based on the amount of passes thrown this season by the Bills, they have received the fewest DPI's.  Thank God for Xavien Howard or we'd be shutout.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

If not, it's 15 yards.  

people’s solution to officials having too much leeway is seemingly almost always to force them to make even more judgement calls.

Make it 25 yards.  Anything under that is a spot foul.  No half the distance to the goal.  If you throw it from the 30 and the player and DPI is called in the end zone the ball goes to the five.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

If you are talking about rule changes, can we get rid of the fair catch? I watch the CFL a lot and their rule is they have to give the receiving player 5 yards to make a play. 

There going to rule every time on safety... not because they care, but because of the law of the public court of approval and any future litigation against them. I can't see them spinning that rule the CFL uses as more safe but maybe I don't know the stats. I am told that punt returns the way they are now are relatively safe in the nfl.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.