McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

It's about time McDermott called 4th down like he should have the entire year.  He is personally responsible for at least 2 losses this year in my estimation.  Let's hope he doesn't revert back to Mr. Conservative, because we are too good a team to be fighting our own coaching!  

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, appealrite said:

It's about time McDermott called 4th down like he should have the entire year.  He is personally responsible for at least 2 losses this year in my estimation.  Let's hope he doesn't revert back to Mr. Conservative, because we are too good a team to be fighting our own coaching!  

Hes never at any point been conservative.  He’s literally one of the most aggressive coaches in football.  

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, CaliBills said:

I feel judging a coach aggressiveness vs conservative in hindsight is unrealistic.  It is easy to say after the results show themselves that a different decision should have been made.  

The same people calling for him to be more aggressive like he was yesterday would also be the same people complaining if we lost due to that said aggressiveness(not all, but some). Like Staley has hurt the Chargers by being too aggressive.

For instance, 4-1, on the final drive, we don't make it.  Regardless of play call, we do not get it or he goes for a FG and we miss, and the Pats then drive the field and score a TD and we lose the game.

Those exact same people saying he needs to be aggressive, would say, well he should of punted and made them drive the whole field.   

Every coach makes game time decisions that can go either way and ONLY in hindsight is it proven right or wrong.  

Only in hindsight is it judged.
the reason trust is so important to Team Building.
McBeanes said right off they were building a culture of consistency and play off caliber consistency. No small task for any organization . especially what the inherited.

Go Bills

2 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

McDermott felt he had something to prove yesterday and almost blew it at the end. That 4th and 1 call being up 5pts was a terrible decision but thank God Josh made the play…because if he didn’t, the Pats would of had great field position with an opportunity to win the game. 

Totally disagree. The very possession before that, the Pats marched down the field and scored with relative ease. If we kick a FG there, they also had enough time to run and dink and dunk their way to another score. We only really got them out of their comfort zone when we scored that TD to make it a 2 score game with 4 minutes left or whatever it was and made them try to throw downfield. 

Also it's 4th and 1, you gotta trust your best player to win the game there. Yeah it doesn't always work out, nothing always does, but for our team I'll take my chances with #17 over our defense any day. 

4 hours ago, CaliBills said:

The same people calling for him to be more aggressive like he was yesterday would also be the same people complaining if we lost due to that said aggressiveness(not all, but some). Like Staley has hurt the Chargers by being too aggressive.

They're literally the same people. They complained about the aggressiveness vs the Titans.

• Agree 1

So... I've posted on both sides of it this season.  (Look at my posting history if that's your will.)

On one hand, McD is a good coach, and I won't rehash what other people have said about how he's been the best coach since Wade.  On the other, I opined (during two months of blahness this season) that he wasn't good enough to win a championship with this team.  Maybe, and hopefully definitely, yesterday was the day that the win against the Pats showed what McD can do to motivate a team, and to deal with adversity.  Yesterday's game will stick with me forever.  Now let's see if another AFC-CG is in the future, and hopefully a SB win.

7 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The main point is the outcome does not determine whether it was the right decision or not. If you're down by 2 and you have the ball at the opposing 20 with 3 seconds left and you go for the FG, is it the wrong call if you miss? No. Same as if that coach decided to go with a fake FG and ends up getting the TD, I don't think that was the right call unless the kicker was hurt or something. So yes, you can judge a coach by their decision-making regardless of the outcome. 

Wait, what? The outcome doesn’t determine if it was the right choice? I’m not sure there’s a better determining factor of success than the result. 

“Mom & dad, I know I failed the course, but the grade doesn’t indicate how much I actually learned.”

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, todd said:

Wait, what? The outcome doesn’t determine if it was the right choice? I’m not sure there’s a better determining factor of success than the result. 

“Mom & dad, I know I failed the course, but the grade doesn’t indicate how much I actually learned.”

No, it doesn’t necessarily. 

Lets say for instance we have the ball on the opposing team’s 15, down 2, 3 seconds to go. No injuries to Bass or anything. For no real logical reason McD decides to go for it instead of kicking the field goal, and we get the touchdown. I don’t think that makes it the right call, it’s not what I’d want to see called going forward in that same situation just because it worked. 

Similarly, if one of McD’s attempts to go for it on 4th yesterday didn’t work out, I wouldn’t all of a sudden say it was the wrong call. You can make the right decision for your team and have it not work out, and you can make the wrong one and have it work out. 

But if you make the right ones consistently, you’ll probably have more success overall long-term. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, todd said:

Spoiler, a test grade doesn’t indicate how much you learned but that’s another matter lol

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

No, it doesn’t necessarily. 

Lets say for instance we have the ball on the opposing team’s 15, down 2, 3 seconds to go. No injuries to Bass or anything. For no real logical reason McD decides to go for it instead of kicking the field goal, and we get the touchdown. I don’t think that makes it the right call, it’s not what I’d want to see called going forward in that same situation just because it worked. 

Similarly, if one of McD’s attempts to go for it on 4th yesterday didn’t work out, I wouldn’t all of a sudden say it was the wrong call. You can make the right decision for your team and have it not work out, and you can make the wrong one and have it work out. 

But if you make the right ones consistently, you’ll probably have more success overall long-term. 

Your example is kind of....  basic.  Its like you think McD would never kick that FG.  He would 10 out of 10 times.  

McD didn't get to the AFC Championship game last year, Playoffs 3 of 4 years, going on 4 out of 5 years, by constantly making the wrong decision that you are eluding too.   

He is not perfect but he is one of the top coaches in the NFL already in his FIRST NFL HC job.  Most take multiple tries to be successful if at all.  

Edited by CaliBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Your example is kind of....  basic.  Its like you think McD would never kick that FG.  He would 10 out of 10 times.  

McD didn't get to the AFC Championship game last year, Playoffs 3 of 4 years, going on 4 out of 5 years, by constantly making the wrong decision that you are eluding too.   

He is not perfect but he is one of the top coaches in the NFL already in his FIRST NFL HC job.  Most take multiple tries to be successful if at all.  

The example was just to illustrate that a decision isn't necessarily the right one because of how it turns out. I was actually defending it when someone said we shouldn't have gone for one of those 4th downs yesterday, but I thought McD made the right calls on them yesterday, even if one didn't work out. Nothing's ever going to be foolproof, but I think we'll be much more successful going forward if we're aggressive like that in those situations instead of coaching scared. 

I would personally disagree that he's a top coach though. Just making the playoffs isn't a huge accomplishment if you have a top echelon QB. I don't think Mike McCarthy's a top flight head coach even though he's made the playoffs for most of his career, he's had Favre and Rodgers for most of it. 

But I know he's not going anywhere, so hopefully we can win it all with him. The good news is you can win a Superbowl without a top flight head coach. It makes it tougher but It's happened plenty of times. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, DJB said:

So we like clappy mc clappy again or?!

I’ve liked him all along. The next time we lose the same old boo birds will come back with the hate. We had complainers after the AFCCG last year. It’s ridiculous and generally childish. Is he perfect? No? Can we have reasonable discussions about how things can be better? Yes.

I hope those complainers are absolutely perfect 100% of the time at their jobs. I’ll bet most of those jobs are a helluva lot easier than being an NFL HC. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’ve liked him all along. The next time we lose the same old boo birds will come back with the hate. We had complainers after the AFCCG last year. It’s ridiculous and generally childish. Is he perfect? No? Can we have reasonable discussions about how things can be better? Yes.

I hope those complainers are absolutely perfect 100% of the time at their jobs. I’ll bet most of those jobs are a helluva lot easier than being an NFL HC. 

Once again the sage voice of reason around here—please don’t ever leave us! :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The example was just to illustrate that a decision isn't necessarily the right one because of how it turns out. I was actually defending it when someone said we shouldn't have gone for one of those 4th downs yesterday, but I thought McD made the right calls on them yesterday, even if one didn't work out. Nothing's ever going to be foolproof, but I think we'll be much more successful going forward if we're aggressive like that in those situations instead of coaching scared. 

I would personally disagree that he's a top coach though. Just making the playoffs isn't a huge accomplishment if you have a top echelon QB. I don't think Mike McCarthy's a top flight head coach even though he's made the playoffs for most of his career, he's had Favre and Rodgers for most of it. 

But I know he's not going anywhere, so hopefully we can win it all with him. The good news is you can win a Superbowl without a top flight head coach. It makes it tougher but It's happened plenty of times. 

ok, so I am curious of a few things.

One, how do you feel about Staley as a HC?  he is quite aggressive in his decisions with a trending up QB..  But yet is 8-7 and on the verge of not making the playoffs again.

two, who do you recommend to become the Bills HC if McDermott was fired today?  You? since you seem to have all the answers on how a HC should make decisions. (im poking fun)  If not you then who?  Because I am pretty sure all top flight HC's already have a job and yes I include our own as top flight.  

Edited: one more question, you act like he had no input on selecting said top echelon QB  and help him develop by.... oh yeah coaching and being a HC..... (oh we did go to the playoffs without said qb as well), they could have selected Josh Rosen....  So to the question.  Which coach, without a top qb, continues to make the playoffs with an average QB?    I know one, and that is John Harbaugh with Joe Flacco 2008-2017 but that is it and that was a different era.

Edited by CaliBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.