McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I would rather have McD over McVay anyway :)

Me too. 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. But he is generally the go to guy for the "McDermott sucks we need an offensive coach" crowd. 

Meanwhile McVay lost his 6th straight to the 49ers... I wonder why he always loses to Shanahan..... oh wait..... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For those who do not like McDermott, I suggest you make peace with him being here. He is going to be the head coach of the Bills for a very long time. I think that's a good thing, personally.

Especially on a day like today seeing coaches and GM's fired around the league and just knowing that these teams are hitting the reset button yet again. So glad the Bills do not have to do that. It is so hard to get your franchise out of that cycle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Me too. 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. But he is generally the go to guy for the "McDermott sucks we need an offensive coach" crowd. 

Meanwhile McVay lost his 6th straight to the 49ers... I wonder why he always loses to Shanahan..... oh wait..... 

I refuse to believe there is an honest "McD sucks" crowd. None of them could have possibly followed this team during the drought. He's been in the playoffs for 4 of 5 seasons. One of those with a busted ass squad that wasn't his. I don't care at all that they backed in in 17. Couldn't back in any of those other years, could we?

If you truly believe he "sucks", then either you weren't around to see what ***** coaches are actually like (take your pick, Rex, Jauron, Marrone, Gailey, Mularkey, Williams) with the Bills or you're just trying to get a rise out of people here.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ditto.  Rams offense was figured out a while ago, and now it doesn’t matter who the QB is, it’s more of the same.  

I was at the Rams vs Niners game Sunday too and watched another collapse by a McVay led team.  My fiancé is a big Niners fan, so we were there rooting for them and the game was epic.  Part of her Xmas present, although I insisted I was still wearing Bills gear and watching the Bills game from time to time on my phone hahaha.

Rams stadium is unreal though, so sick.  I live like 7 miles from SoFi, but that was my first game there.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

For those who do not like McDermott, I suggest you make peace with him being here. He is going to be the head coach of the Bills for a very long time. I think that's a good thing, personally.

Especially on a day like today seeing coaches and GM's fired around the league and just knowing that these teams are hitting the reset button yet again. So glad the Bills do not have to do that. It is so hard to get your franchise out of that cycle.

I mean seriously usually coaches actually have to have a few bad seasons in a row before they get shown the door. If this is the kind of topics we get in a division winning 11-6 season I'm not looking forward to whenever we actually have a bad one and have a losing record.

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean seriously usually coaches actually have to have a few bad seasons in a row before they get shown the door. If this is the kind of topics we get in a division winning 11-6 season I'm not looking forward to whenever we actually have a bad one and have a losing record.

Coaches get fired for one of three reasons 95% of the time. The first is losing in the regular season consistently. McD has won 10 games or more 3 seasons straight. The second is losing the locker room. By no accounts has that happened. The final reason is being unable to get a team over the hump in the playoffs. McD has a 2-3 record in the playoffs. Not lighting the world on fire but looking at the context of those 3 losses it is hard to say the team needs a new voice. 

If three years from now the Bills have constant playoff failures then you have the conversation about is McD the guy. But right now he has completely turned around this team and is going to be the coach for the foreseeable future. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Coaches get fired for one of three reasons 95% of the time. The first is losing in the regular season consistently. McD has won 10 games or more 3 seasons straight. The second is losing the locker room. By no accounts has that happened. The final reason is being unable to get a team over the hump in the playoffs. McD has a 2-3 record in the playoffs. Not lighting the world on fire but looking at the context of those 3 losses it is hard to say the team needs a new voice. 

If three years from now the Bills have constant playoff failures then you have the conversation about is McD the guy. But right now he has completely turned around this team and is going to be the coach for the foreseeable future. 

If you are winning playoff games, you are not going to get fired for a very long time. If you get to the playoffs but can't win any games, you'll still stick around for awhile but eventually get fired.

McDermott is firmly in place. He consistently gets to the playoffs. He has won the division multiple times. He has won playoff games and will probably win them in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

People are simply delusional these days.  I will blame COVID brain on it.  People aren't thinking straight.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

People are simply delusional these days.  I will blame COVID brain on it.  People aren't thinking straight.

Wait for when (AND IF) we lose on Saturday night at home.

This thread will be alive and kicking.

Bills fans have a memory 1 game old; I keep writing that and it makes more sense every time I do.

FTR: I will be predicting a somewhat easy Bills win; I've wanted this matchup for weeks.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Wait for when (AND IF) we lose on Saturday night at home.

This thread will be alive and kicking.

Bills fans have a memory 1 game old; I keep writing that and it makes more sense every time I do.

FTR: I will be predicting a somewhat easy Bills win; I've wanted this matchup for weeks.

That is a fantastic way to put it. They think of it as straightforward "well just win then and we will be happy" and sure thats the goal. Win.

But at the end of the day, the only thing that guarantees a shot at a super bowl is a sustained post season presence which McDermott achieves. Or you could just sell your soul like Belichick and Brady did.

Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone, and Anthony Lynn combined for zero playoff appearances.   

McD got us into the playoffs 4 or 5 years.   The one year he didn't we had a talentless roster with the lowest "active cap spending" in the league.   

Clearly, the McDermott Era should end.  The evidence is overwhelming.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone, and Anthony Lynn combined for zero playoff appearances.   

McD got us into the playoffs 4 or 5 years.   The one year he didn't we had a talentless roster with the lowest "active cap spending" in the league.   

Decades of misery here and folks forget faster than a goldfish.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

some threads should really be ignored 

BTW has the OP been seen recently?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/7/2021 at 12:09 AM, Wizard said:

There was absolutely no reason that the Bills should have lost this game! For this reason, the Pegula’s need to clean out some of the coaching leadership.

The odds of screwing up so many times in a row in a game is probably a million to one. That comes down to poor coaching and players not executing. When players screw up and coaches can not adjust, then this means that McDermott’s coaching ceiling has already been reached. He and his staff are average despite the team’s history

Great Coach gets 10-14 points in the situation below.  Good coach gets 6 to 7 points. Replaceable coach gets 0-3 points. 

2x’s in the last 6 minutes the Patriots gift wrapped two very doable red zone touchdown opportunities. And, Allen gets sacked, an idiot TE false start, a missed field goal, and passing the ball when running could have led to more manageable play calling rather than 3rd and long and 4th and 14 situations.

No adjustments…means no Confidence!

The team lost at home with the best fans, better receivers, and quarterback, unbelievable opportunities to win, and the defense knowing in advance that 95% of the team’s plays would be runs. Mac Jones may have set a record in the last 40 years with 19 pass yards! In other words, our defensive line knew what was coming and the Hoodie decided to be completely one dimensional knowing the Bills could do nothing about it!!!

Winning Culture

Yes, there was wind and stats were not going to be as big tonight. The Bills had every reason to win and own the division. It was blanking Monday Night Football. The team had this game circled all season. No amount of clapping, rah rah, or “process” makes up for fumbling the game away.

Bad coaching, players aren’t executing, and we can’t build our offense or defense with underwhelming line play, time management issues, and not getting the ball from a 30 million dollar QB not getting the ball to Diggs or a line not capable of digging in and getting 10 yards on the ground with some old-fashion tough running.

Ceiling has been reached..new voices

A weaker AFC, Derrick Henry going down, the Chiefs inconsistencies and Ravens, and the inability to beat playoff caliber teams, execute at key times, and the lack of consistency on the lines means this is McDermott’s ceiling.

Time for Bills to make big changes!

This did not age well

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.