Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/18/russia-ukraine-updates/#link-4PWY47GJNFDIHLC4WXEMOY5JBQ

KYIV, Ukraine — The Russian-backed leader of a separatist-controlled area of eastern Ukraine said Friday that officials there were launching a mass evacuation of civilians into neighboring Russia, citing the threat of military action in the region by Ukrainian troops.

A mass exodus into Russia, which could not be immediately confirmed, would be seen as a worrisome signal that major military activities are imminent.

Denis Pushilin, head of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic in Ukraine’s Donbas region, said in a video address that Russia has agreed to accept residents of the region and that checkpoints and border crossings were ready to speed their progress.

“First of all, women, children and the elderly are subject to evacuation,” Pushilin said. “By agreement with the leadership of the Russian Federation, places to take in and accommodate our citizens are ready in the Rostov region” of Western Russia.

The State Department on Friday approved a long-awaited $6 billion deal to sell Poland 250 Abrams tanks, an announcement that comes as more U.S. troops and aircraft flood into the country in the face of a possible Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced the deal early Friday while in a Warsaw press conference alongside his Polish counterpart Mariusz Blaszczak.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/18/putin-tank-deal-poland-00010107

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Why are you pro-gun? 

Is it, in part, because it is a deterrence? 

So your point, I say, is pretty hollow and stupid. 

Are you pro gun or are you advocating for the stabbing or strangulation death of a sitting Senator? 

Oh and guns are not deterrents. They are defensive. 

Edited by Chef Jim

Just now, Tiberius said:

Why are you pro-gun? 

Is it, in part, because it is a deterrence? 

So your point, I say, is pretty hollow and stupid. 

I don’t own a gun.
The Russians aren’t too “deterred” it seems. 
Un-built tanks which are not in Poland isn’t going to be the reason why Putin goes home from the border of Ukraine. A military build up on or near his border is the actual reason why he’s doing what he’s doing. So let’s sell more. 

13 minutes ago, snafu said:

I don’t own a gun.
The Russians aren’t too “deterred” it seems. 
Un-built tanks which are not in Poland isn’t going to be the reason why Putin goes home from the border of Ukraine. A military build up on or near his border is the actual reason why he’s doing what he’s doing. So let’s sell more. 

Well, sit there and be upset, Poland is getting tanks. 

Good job USA! 

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Back to the Ukraine story:

"The mess began last Friday, February 11th, when National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan gave an address warning American citizens to evacuate Ukraine...."

"... American reporters began telling audiences a curiously detailed story about upcoming Russian invasion plans. PBS NewsHour’s Nick Schifrin cited 'three Western and defense sources' in saying Vladimir Putin had already made up his mind to invade. He then cited six sources — 'US and Western officials' — who told him the U.S. expected an invasion of Ukraine the following week.

These voices left little to the imagination, saying the invasion would be a 'horrific, bloody campaign,' with two days of aerial bombardment, followed by electronic warfare and possible regime change....

That afternoon of the 11th, Politico cited 'a person familiar'.... reporting that Joe Biden held an hourlong call with Western leaders pegging February 16th as a possible invasion date.... It should be clear to any reporter that a national security source who whispers not only the alleged date of a coming invasion, but the number of days of aerial bombardment and the war’s expected level of horror and bloodiness, is either yanking your chain with a fairy tale, or using you, or both."

Writes Matt Taibbi, in "Another All-Time Media Faceplant/After the Biden administration and the press wrongly predicted a Russian invasion of Ukraine on February 16th, they kept compounding the error in spectacular fashion"

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/another-all-time-media-faceplant?utm_source=url

Damn, it's almost like Putin is not involved. So if Biden stops a war, its all just his fault for stopping it and he is bad. 

You people 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Damn, it's almost like Putin is not involved. So if Biden stops a war, its all just his fault for stopping it and he is bad. 

You people 

COMPLETELY misstating what the article said

Standard Tibs 

Try this one.  (oh thats right, you only pretend to have read the article(s) )

FTA:

The bottom line:

Meanwhile, here’s Barney Fife Joe on Wednesday talking about how the United States will “respond decisively” to a Russian invasion of Ukraine — after it happens.

Not to nitpick, but Team Biden has been “weighing sanctions” against Putin’s Russia since at least early December. 

Listen, unlike Afghanistan, in which hapless Joe Biden held every key to how that debacle played out — and he purposely blew it — there has been and remains only so much the woefully inept Biden regime could and can do in respect Russia and Ukraine.

That said, dismissing the imposition of tough sanctions on Russia — when there was adequate time to do it — vs. failing to pull the trigger because “you lose the deterrent effect”? What is that? Other than gross incompetence, I mean?

Everything Joe Biden and his pathetic administration have touched from Day One of this guy’s occupation of the Oval Office has been a total disaster, from the Biden Border Crisis™ to the Biden Oil Crisis™ to the Biden Afghanistan Debacle™ to the Biden Supply Chain Crisis™ to Bidenomics™ and Bidenflation™ to the woefully failed joke that is Kamala Harris — who waits in the wings.

https://redstate.com/mike_miller/2022/02/18/biden-lackey-wont-confirm-or-not-confirm-what-joes-been-doing-for-last-four-days-as-ukraine-invasion-looms-n524111

And we’re only 13 months into the disaster.

Just now, B-Man said:

COMPLETELY misstating what the article said

Standard Tibs 

Try this one.  (oh thats right, you only pretend to have read the article(s) )

FTA:

The bottom line:

Meanwhile, here’s Barney Fife Joe on Wednesday talking about how the United States will “respond decisively” to a Russian invasion of Ukraine — after it happens.

Not to nitpick, but Team Biden has been “weighing sanctions” against Putin’s Russia since at least early December. 

Listen, unlike Afghanistan, in which hapless Joe Biden held every key to how that debacle played out — and he purposely blew it — there has been and remains only so much the woefully inept Biden regime could and can do in respect Russia and Ukraine.

That said, dismissing the imposition of tough sanctions on Russia — when there was adequate time to do it — vs. failing to pull the trigger because “you lose the deterrent effect”? What is that? Other than gross incompetence, I mean?

Everything Joe Biden and his pathetic administration have touched from Day One of this guy’s occupation of the Oval Office has been a total disaster, from the Biden Border Crisis™ to the Biden Oil Crisis™ to the Biden Afghanistan Debacle™ to the Biden Supply Chain Crisis™ to Bidenomics™ and Bidenflation™ to the woefully failed joke that is Kamala Harris — who waits in the wings.

https://redstate.com/mike_miller/2022/02/18/biden-lackey-wont-confirm-or-not-confirm-what-joes-been-doing-for-last-four-days-as-ukraine-invasion-looms-n524111

And we’re only 13 months into the disaster.

Putin is threatening to invade and snuff out a country and what do some of these whiners do? Complain Biden is actually warning about it. Just plain stupid 

Eight years ago, on Feb. 18, 2014, police stormed anti-government protesters in Kyiv’s Maidan square. It was a turning point in days of violence that would leave dozens dead and oust a pro-Russian president, Viktor Yanukovych. On Friday, under the cloud of a potential Russian invasion, Ukrainians gathered to honor the memories of those lost in the “Maidan revolution.” Citizens attached paper angels to monuments. Veterans brought flags to a memorial that bears the names of the protesters who died during the revolution. Moments of silence were observed at the site that changed the country.

That was the overthrow of the regime that had future Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort as an advisor to the Russian stooge 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/18/russia-ukraine-updates/

32 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Well, sit there and be upset, Poland is getting tanks. 

Good job USA! 

You people 

“Good job USA”?
What does the government have to do with a private company selling tanks to Poland, other than okaying the deal?

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Not agreeing with your little crying over someone making money over the deal. Boo hoo 

Someone’s making money.

That was my original point.

1 hour ago, snafu said:

War makes people a lot of money. Even when there’s no war.

Someone is making money and there is no war.
You and I agree.

It doesn’t look like you can cope with that. 

Just now, snafu said:

Someone’s making money.

That was my original point.

Someone is making money and there is no war.
You and I agree.

It doesn’t look like you can cope with that. 

It doesn't bother me that money is being spent to prevent a war. You are just a complainer.

But you are ok 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

It doesn't bother me that money is being spent to prevent a war. You are just a complainer.

But you are ok 

You know, you’re right.

Unfettered capitalism is the best way to go.

That is TWO things we agree on.

And I am ok.

So that’s THREE things we agree on.

What a big day for you!

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BillStime said:

If there is a wrong side of history - you know we can always count on the cult to be there, right Bonnie? 

When Hawley embraced Putin’s line that Ukraine should not be allowed to join NATO – which is contrary to the core principles of NATO and the stated position of the U.S. and our allies – White House press secretary Jen Psaki accurately characterized it as "parroting" Russian talking points.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Our president is addressing the nation 

it took him an extra long time to wake up and wander out to the podium. He’s gonna sleep well this afternoon after todays Andy Griffith show rerun

Here’s the playbook

https://www.rt.com/russia/549870-accusing-us-genocide-denial/

claiming Ukraine of genocide against Russian speakers in Ukraine 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Our president? If you say so. 

He's right.  He's their president.

He and the rest of them don't care about me or you.  They are governing their lunatic base only.  

Manchin and Sinema should have food testers everywhere they go.  

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Tiberius said:

All 

Both Americans? Yes 

No criticism of Putin? Ever? 

+++

An observer mission from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe said it counted 591 violations of the cease-fire in eastern Ukraine on Wednesday, up from 153 the day before.

I asked this once before but you didn't answer.  I'll try again.

What do you wanna do, get in a war with Russia?

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

it took him an extra long time to wake up and wander out to the podium. He’s gonna sleep well this afternoon after todays Andy Griffith show rerun

Here’s the playbook

https://www.rt.com/russia/549870-accusing-us-genocide-denial/

claiming Ukraine of genocide against Russian speakers in Ukraine 

RT is entirely funded by the federal budget of the Russian government.  You are linking to a site that is paid by the Russian government to say things it wants said.

9 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

RT is entirely funded by the federal budget of the Russian government.  You are linking to a site that is paid by the Russian government to say things it wants said.

Sure, that’s why I went there. Just like You go to cnn or msnbc to see the dems propaganda machine or fox for republicans. 

12 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

This feels like deja vu all over again 20 years later.

Biden wants this war badly. It’s probably the only thing that can resurrect his disaster of a Presidency. It’s pretty hard to eff up banging a podium and administering fake consequences 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure, that’s why I went there. Just like You go to cnn or msnbc to see the dems propaganda machine or fox for republicans. 

Biden wants this war badly. It’s probably the only thing that can resurrect his disaster of a Presidency. It’s pretty hard to eff up banging a podium and administering fake consequences 

War doesn't look good fpr Joey, especially one that has little to do with the US.  What he wants is talking tough and Putin backing-down.  That way he can say he averted war. 

47 minutes ago, Doc said:

War doesn't look good fpr Joey, especially one that has little to do with the US.  What he wants is talking tough and Putin backing-down.  That way he can say he averted war. 

That would be a huge win for Biden and I’d congratulate him for it even if they came across as the Stooges during it all. And I ain’t talking about the Iggy’s band 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

That would be a huge win for Biden and I’d congratulate him for it even if they came across as the Stooges during it all. And I ain’t talking about the Iggy’s band 

It'd be a win for a lot of people.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

The war that only the Biden Administration is predicting ?

Avoiding that should be pretty easy.

• Like (+1) 2