Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

2 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Today Russian TV reporting joked about their new rockets eliminating UK and NYC. State media is controlled by Putin, so do we take this as a direct threat?

Not a day goes by without Russia crying wolf about their nuclear arsenal.  Whenever they start fantasizing about nuking all their enemies, what I hear is Fredo is smart and he wants respect.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Not a day goes by without Russia crying wolf about their nuclear arsenal.  Whenever they start fantasizing about nuking all their enemies, what I hear is Fredo is smart and he wants respect.

And if their nukes are as well-designed and maintained as their other equipment...

Biden to request $33B from Congress for Ukraine emergency supplemental funding

President Biden on Thursday is requesting $33 billion from Congress for additional security, military and humanitarian assistance for Ukraine and for U.S. efforts to strengthen European security in cooperation with NATO allies and partners.

The Biden administration is calling for $20.4 billion in additional security assistance for Ukraine, including $5 billion in additional drawdown authority, $6 billion for the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative, and $4 billion for the State Department’s Foreign Military Financing program.

"These resources will put urgently needed equipment into the hands of Ukraine’s military and police, as well as help NATO deter and defend against Russian aggression over the long-term," an administration official said Thursday.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-ukraine-security-assistance-request-33-billion-congress

56 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I believe they're also referring to conventional and nuclear hyper-sonic weapons which fly at speeds of about 3,600 MPH.  I'd deffer to the expertise of others but from what I understand there is no reliable defense against those types of offensive missiles.  

5 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I believe they're also referring to conventional and nuclear hyper-sonic weapons which fly at speeds of about 3,600 MPH.  I'd deffer to the expertise of others but from what I understand there is no reliable defense against those types of offensive missiles.  

This would be a good question for Sherpa. Maybe the only deterrent would be the threat to respond with nuclear weapons.

13 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

FWIW, I think that's exactly what they mean too. 

16 minutes ago, ALF said:

Biden to request $33B from Congress for Ukraine emergency supplemental funding

President Biden on Thursday is requesting $33 billion from Congress for additional security, military and humanitarian assistance for Ukraine and for U.S. efforts to strengthen European security in cooperation with NATO allies and partners.

The Biden administration is calling for $20.4 billion in additional security assistance for Ukraine, including $5 billion in additional drawdown authority, $6 billion for the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative, and $4 billion for the State Department’s Foreign Military Financing program.

"These resources will put urgently needed equipment into the hands of Ukraine’s military and police, as well as help NATO deter and defend against Russian aggression over the long-term," an administration official said Thursday.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-ukraine-security-assistance-request-33-billion-congress

I wonder how much of a kick back Biden will get ?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Revisiting this exchange, let's not go crazy and think this shows some kind of critical fault line in Russian society based on the war.  But it's where Russian conservatism has jumped the shark from conservatism to fascism.  Old dude didn't get all those medals, ribbons and white hair delivering pizza.  Still, young guy in the slick network gettup jumps right down his throat because he might be telling the naked emperor that he's naked.  And the emperor can never be naked because that's the party line and you tow the party line.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ALF said:

This would be a good question for Sherpa. Maybe the only deterrent would be the threat to respond with nuclear weapons.

If Russia decides to employ nuclear weapons, the entire situation changes.

The only reason that strategy has ever been considered since WWII is when the threat to the very existence of a regime is threatened.

(See Israel. 1973 Yom Kippur war and the "Third Temple.")

Russian isn't under that threat, and escalating this when there are "outs," seems really irrational and perhaps regime suicidal.

I'm not sure what the use of a hypersonic missile would do for them. 

They don't need to.

They surely wouldn't need that to do what they want vis a vis Ukrainian defenses.

If they were to use one, if they really even have that capability, it would make sense to use it against a serious threat, like a US Navy ship, and I don't see them ready to take that step unless things got worse.

To me, it's just chest thumping, as is pandemic in their culture and gov controlled media.

Still, $33 billion request from the Biden Admin seems too high to pay.

This thing has got to wind down in the next month.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

If Russia decides to employ nuclear weapons, the entire situation changes.

The only reason that strategy has ever been considered since WWII is when the threat to the very existence of a regime is threatened.

(See Israel. 1973 Yom Kippur war and the "Third Temple.")

Russian isn't under that threat, and escalating this when there are "outs," seems really irrational and perhaps regime suicidal.

I'm not sure what the use of a hypersonic missile would do for them. 

They don't need to.

They surely wouldn't need that to do what they want vis a vis Ukrainian defenses.

If they were to use one, if they really even have that capability, it would make sense to use it against a serious threat, like a US Navy ship, and I don't see them ready to take that step unless things got worse.

To me, it's just chest thumping, as is pandemic in their culture and gov controlled media.

Still, $33 billion request from the Biden Admin seems too high to pay.

This thing has got to wind down in the next month.

IMHO this will not wind down. Ukraine with the additional military equipment will step up the fight, inside Russia. Ukraine knows that even if they surrender the war will continue. This is not just about land possession. Their choice will be to invite Russia deeper into conflict to force NATO to be more involved. For the Ukraines, 3 times in a century is too much. They are living the phrase, Live Free or Die.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2022 at 6:41 PM, Tiberius said:

Can't you find someone to tell that to who actually cares? 

Remember,you seem out,not the other way around. 

And please don't post a long winded bunch of bull on why I should care! 🤑

Why do you act this way Tibs?  You seem to be racing Billsy to the be the most insulting poster on the board.  

1 hour ago, TSOL said:

33 billion huh? Might as well just make Ukraine the 51st state. 

There are no spending limits given the primary US policy objective to weaken Russia through a proxy war strategy of fighting them down to the last Ukrainian.